Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Canis

Send a message via MSN to Canis

Old July 31st, 2012, 07:22 PM
I just saw the news letter, and at first I was stoked! Then I noticed you said that the first release would be Playable Character sheet for Pathfinder, with more capabiltiy following on later.

I was wondering, wouldn't a playable character sheet only version of Hero Lab be capable of running other game systems?

I only ask because, in all honesty, I'd much rather be able to use my iPad to play all games via HL than have the ability to create characters and use the tactical console for one game...

Keep up the good work though!
Canis is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 31st, 2012, 09:58 PM
There are a lot of variables involved here. One critical detail you may not realize is the implication of migrating the product from a desktop to the tablet platform. Because of dramatic differences in how the UI will be need to operate, we have to re-design significant chunks of the UI for the tablet. Each game system has its own UI behaviors scripted separately from other games, so each game system will require significant time to re-work its scripted UI.

Consequently, it's vastly better to do one game system completely before starting on any others. We'll be able to learn from it and refine the process at each evolutionary point in the game's development. This means we'll do a better and faster job on successive games, instead of having to go back and fixup all games every time we discover something that needs to be refined as we integrate new UI functionality.

The bottom line is that, if we were to do just a playable character sheet of each game system first, it will take us significantly longer to get everything done and will assuredly result in a lower quality end product. I can wholly understand the interest in having us do it that way, but it's just not an optimal approach from the standpoint of either efficiency or quality.

Hope this explanation makes sense.

Last edited by rob; July 31st, 2012 at 10:00 PM.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ChrisRevocateur

Old August 1st, 2012, 05:32 PM
Personally I've very very disappointed that you guys decided to go with the iOS first instead of Android. I understand why you made that decision, but it doesn't change the fact that I will refuse to use Apple, and that I already own a few Android devices. I really REALLY hope that you guys decide after implementing the Pathfinder stuff on iOS, that you'll look at implementing it on Android before going to other game systems.
ChrisRevocateur is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
fillerbunny_x1
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 1st, 2012, 09:38 PM
I'm thrilled you made the decision to start with iOS. Now I just have to wait for the MnM 3e system implementation.... May have to get the Pathfinder dataset so I can play with it before then.
fillerbunny_x1 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:34 PM
And their was much rejoicing! Yea!!!

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
EberronKnight

Old August 2nd, 2012, 04:34 PM
I love my Macpro, can't stand IPads, oh well. I'll just bite my tongue and wait till the Android tablets can use Herolab.

EK
EberronKnight is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
cryptoknight

Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EberronKnight View Post
I love my Macpro, can't stand IPads, oh well. I'll just bite my tongue and wait till the Android tablets can use Herolab.

EK
Probably will be a long time... like forever... for some reason even though Android tablets rock, everybody only loves the Ipad.
cryptoknight is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ChrisRevocateur

Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptoknight View Post
like forever...
It'll definitely feel like it. I know the Lone Wolf guys work hard, and I love what they have made for us. I know that they can only do so much really, they aren't a big company with tons of programmers that can just churn this stuff out, but considering how impatient I feel about getting Android supported, I almost wish they were (but I never actually would want that, I just wish things could move faster).
ChrisRevocateur is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRevocateur View Post
I just wish things could move faster.
FWIW, we feel the same way on our end.
rob is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
berdman

Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:31 PM
Yeah for the tablet.

Yeah for iOS.

I understand why Pathfinder is first. Will wait mostly patiently for Shadowrun. Come on Shadowrun. Shouldn't the AI's do the work for you?
berdman is offline   #10 Reply With Quote