Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

TCArknight

Old March 26th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Is there a way to have a action button <action> open a chooser portal?

I have a skill item that when it reaches a certain value, a specialty can be chosen. I have a button display next to the incrementer at that point for the user to have the option.

I think if I can get the chooser to open from the button, I can figure out how to populate the specific specialties for just that skill.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

TC
TCArknight is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 26th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Hey TC, Can't you set up the portal where you need it, and have it show up once the value reaches that level you mentioned? Positioning is done through scripts, but you can do boolean logic in there. Something like this:

if (hero.child[whatever].field[trtFinal].value >= X) then
portal[specialty].visible = 0
endif
RavenX is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old March 27th, 2013, 05:39 AM
I thought about that.

The thing is each skill could have more than one specialty. At the moment, I've got a fixed table set up like this:

Skill Name <button> incrementer info

The <button> appears if the incrementer value is at the appropriate level. What I'd like is if he button is clicked, a chooser allows selecting a skill, which after selection would look like this:

-- Specialty Name

But I may have to use a dynamic table and choose from the bottom of the skills list. Any idea how to only make the <add item> element visible when needed?

Thanks!
TC
TCArknight is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old March 27th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Boolean scripts should be able to do it. Try setting it up with Hide.Whatever tag, and when the skill value exceeds a certain amount, delete it.

if (whatever skill >= X) then
perform delete[Hide.Whatever]
endif

This is the best I can offer. I'm still learning but I do experiment a little here and there. Mathias or Aaron might be able to offer insight when they have a free minute or two.
RavenX is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old March 27th, 2013, 09:01 AM
I'm thinking I can bootstrap all AoE as well as skills, but with the specialties hidden and a tag that says they weren't taken yet. Then, may be able to open a form to choose which of the specialties for the selected skill to have the hide tag deleted.
TCArknight is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old March 27th, 2013, 09:08 AM
If you're going to bootstrap all the skills why don't you use the <enmasse> feature of the Bootstrap.1st file?

I used the enmasse function to show all of the Basic skills in deathwatch that a character can use without training. The advanced skills are hidden until the user puts training in them or the specialty gives it to them, at which point it bootstraps the advanced skill to the character.

I've actually come pretty far on that data now with Mathias providing insight and guidance. I honestly never thought I'd get so far with it. Though based on the fact I was able to scratch build the data for Psychic Powers in that system, I am pretty sure I can finish the core rulebook. I have a plan for finishing it now at least.
RavenX is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old March 27th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Yep, the <enmasse> feature is what I'll use

I've got an Skill.AllowSpec available for flagging in checks, and I'll probably add a SpecChosen identity that will forward to the linked skill as well as the hero for those that actually have one chosen.

I'm modifying what I've seen for Cortex as unlike that system, there are fewer skills and they all tend to list on a character sheet.
TCArknight is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old March 27th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Deathwatch has Basic and Advanced skills. The basic ones anyone can use untrained, so they have to be on the sheet. Advanced are added as the user purchases them with xp. So far its setting up nicely.
RavenX is offline   #8 Reply With Quote