Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Illvatar

Old August 1st, 2009, 02:07 PM
I was interested in entering a lot of feats from other material. I thought that it might be handy to write a feat maintenance program. When I started looking into the data and how best to display it, I noticed that there are many references within the various CData clauses that seem to refer to nothing that I can find elsewhere. I am referring to such things as hero.assign[Hero.fAlertness], hero.assign[Hero.ProfHeavy], etc. These appear to be hard coded routines within Hero Lab itself.

Does anyone know if this is correct? If so, are there any plans to make these routines available for user edit or even just for viewing? I was hoping that I could all such routines and allow coding of new ones if needed.

Illvatar
Illvatar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 1st, 2009, 07:20 PM
I don't understand what your goal is - what would your program add that's not in the editor? What information are you looking for in order to do this?

Haved you looked at the authoring kit wiki? That describes how the scripting language works.

Last edited by Mathias; August 1st, 2009 at 07:31 PM.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
Illvatar

Old August 2nd, 2009, 04:36 AM
Thanks meghl, I have looked at the authoring kit. At the moment I am looking to see if there is a way to list all of the methods (subroutines, etc.) that are used to make the various feats work. For instance, when applying Heavy Armor proficiency, I can not merely assign that feat to the character, the existing script also does:
var result as number
result = hero.assign[Hero.ProfHeavy]
Where is this Hero.ProfHeavy? Is there a list of these functions? Can new ones be added or, if ones like Hero.ProfHeavy are hard coded, must new ones be coded within scripts?
Illvatar is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:16 AM
Hero.ProfHeavy is a tag. The tags file is not part of the code that has been revealed to users, although you can usually deduce enough of it to make whatever you're trying to add, or ask here for specific things you need.

assign[] is a target reference in the scripting language.

hero. is a transition in the scripting language.

And, if that part of the script were re-written today, it could be done with only one line:

perform hero.assign[Hero.ProfHeavy]

since the perform function has been added, which replaces the use of throw-away variables.
Mathias is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
Illvatar

Old August 5th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks. That is the answer I expected (although the Perform function is an added bonus). Do you know if there is any intention of revealing the Tags file to us users at any time in the future? It seems that it is a method of assigning feat functionality that could be quite useful, especially to those of us determined to add non-OGL data into our campaigns.
Illvatar is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 5th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Go to the develop menu, Floating info windows, show hero tags or show selection tags - that will show you all the tags that are currently active on a thing, and if you need something you can't find there, just ask in this forum, and we're glad to help. If you have an example of something else that does what you're trying to do, or something similar, add it to your character, see what tags and fields it modifies, and go from there to make your new thing.

Actually, I was incorrect, and I had just never noticed that the aug_tags.1st file is stored in the source directory for the d20 files. You'll need to open it in an XML/text viewer, rather than the HL editor, to view the list of all the tags.

I think the fact that you're the first person I can remember whose asked to see the whole file suggests that having the whole file isn't something you need for most work with the HeroLab editor.
Mathias is online now   #6 Reply With Quote