Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Madmaxneo

Old July 23rd, 2017, 09:51 AM
I have most of my races under "Group: Ethnic" under the World Almanac, but I also eventually created a "Races of Mithra" category under the People section also in the World Almanac (newer races). I have since then realized there is a "Race/Species" section in the Characters tab under Mechanics Reference. I would like to move all of the races under the World Almanac in "Group: Ethnic" and "Races of Mithra" to the "Race/Species" tab under the Mechanic Reference.
I noticed that if I click the "Modify Category" button it takes me to the Manage Categories and Snippet Types section, and if I click on the tool icon there is an option of "Move To" with the option of "Mechanics Article Categories". I am weary of doing this because of the warning.
My questions are:
1. How will this affect the World Almanac?
2. Is this the best (only way) to move sections that I inappropriately placed in the wrong section?
3. What did you (anyone) do with the races in your world? What section did you place them under, or are there multiple sections for them in your RW?
4. I wanted to create a table in the Race/Species tab under the Mechanics Reference that has all the stat mods and other race info (racial skill ranks, abilities, etc) in it but there is no way I can to how to add content to this. Basically it is all the "mechanics" for each race.
A bonus question:
5: Is it better to keep them under the World Almanac or put them in the Mechanics Reference?

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Programming experience: Java and Javascript (Maptools and PDF programming).
Madmaxneo is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Grey Mage

Old July 23rd, 2017, 10:40 AM
I use the Mechanics Reference... It is very easy to organize everything you need there and then link to it.
Grey Mage is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old July 23rd, 2017, 12:44 PM
I use the Mechanics reference as well.

Description of races with stats and stuff like that does not really belong in the world.

Description of a race/tribes culture does belong in the world almanac.

In my opinion.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 23rd, 2017, 02:44 PM
I have 2 sets of topics/articles.

Under ethnic groups I have topics that detail my worlds ethnicities of humans, elves, dwarves and halflings. In the mechanics reference I have the more crunchy stuff about each race, including a section detailing specific racial features common to each ethnicity.

This way a reference to Hinthon links to the Group:ethnic topic about the Hinthon elves while a more general reference to elves goes to the mechanics articles. Players building a new PC can look at the mechanics article to get the crunchy details the need, and if they want, follow links to get the rp details on the various ethnic groups.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old July 23rd, 2017, 05:24 PM
@Vargr and @Grey Mage thanks, I think that is the route I am going to take. Read below please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I have 2 sets of topics/articles.

Under ethnic groups I have topics that detail my worlds ethnicities of humans, elves, dwarves and halflings. In the mechanics reference I have the more crunchy stuff about each race, including a section detailing specific racial features common to each ethnicity.

This way a reference to Hinthon links to the Group:ethnic topic about the Hinthon elves while a more general reference to elves goes to the mechanics articles. Players building a new PC can look at the mechanics article to get the crunchy details the need, and if they want, follow links to get the rp details on the various ethnic groups.
It all makes sense and I agree.
But for #4 in my OP: I wanted to create a table in the Race/Species tab under the Mechanics Reference that has all the stat mods and other race info (racial skill ranks, abilities, etc) in it. Vut there is no way I can add a table or content to this.
Is there a way to add any content to the parent for the Race/Species tab?

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Madmaxneo is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 23rd, 2017, 06:52 PM
You want to add a table in the mechanics article?

That's pretty easy. You can do it manually, the table tools are in the format toolbar for doing so. Start editing a snippet, and you can insert a new table. You can also copy and paste a table from an existing source but I've had less than good results trying this.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old July 23rd, 2017, 07:42 PM
@Madamxneo:

Not sure what exactly you are talking about here (re. #4). To me it sounds like you want a way to have a snippet pre-populated with content (such as a generic table or other info), so that when you make a new topic some of the snippets already contains information.

No, there is (at present at least) no way you can fill a snippet with content in the Manage/Categories setup and have it carried over to the World Almanac or Mechanics Reference. It hs been requested nad is (IMHO) so logical and essential that I believe it will become a feature one day.

I have made a sort'o work-around: In the Mechanics Reference I have a topic that contains pre-populated snippets. I simply copy the contents over to a new snippet whenever I need something generic, such as a table for renown.

If this is not what you meant, see kbs666 answer :-)

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old July 24th, 2017, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
No, there is (at present at least) no way you can fill a snippet with content in the Manage/Categories setup and have it carried over to the World Almanac or Mechanics Reference. It hs been requested nad is (IMHO) so logical and essential that I believe it will become a feature one day.
But you can create a single topic/article which you will use as a template, and then copy that topic/article to use as a basis for another article.
Farling is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old July 24th, 2017, 02:18 AM
@Farling:

Correct - more or less what I am doing.

But I wish for for snippets to come pre-populated. Would be such a time-saver.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Vargr is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old July 24th, 2017, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
You want to add a table in the mechanics article?

That's pretty easy. You can do it manually, the table tools are in the format toolbar for doing so. Start editing a snippet, and you can insert a new table. You can also copy and paste a table from an existing source but I've had less than good results trying this.
I see no format toolbar in the "Mechanics Reference" under the "Race/Species" tab. The only option on that tab is a button labeled "Modify Category" with a blue arrow on it. There is an option to "Create new Race/Species article" but I wanted to include the tables for race info on the tab. Clicking the "Modify Category" button doesn't help either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
@Madamxneo:

Not sure what exactly you are talking about here (re. #4). To me it sounds like you want a way to have a snippet pre-populated with content (such as a generic table or other info), so that when you make a new topic some of the snippets already contains information.
No not pr-epopulated though it would be nice to have such a thing.

I have made a sort'o work-around: In the Mechanics Reference I have a topic that contains pre-populated snippets. I simply copy the contents over to a new snippet whenever I need something generic, such as a table for renown.

If this is not what you meant, see kbs666 answer :-)
I have went ahead and added an article under Race/Species and added the Race tables into that.

I just noticed something.
I can't seem to find a category for Experience Guidelines and Leveling up. Is there a category for this that I missed somewhere?

Madmaxneo is offline   #10 Reply With Quote