Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder

Notices

MarkC

Old May 14th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Back in March, rob wrote

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
AB3.2 Status Update:

Work on AB3.2 has been underway for awhile now. We have some major new features in place already (e.g. PDF output, faster development cycle time for authors). There is a bunch more stuff that will be added over the next few months. Our release target for AB3.2 is the end of May.

Hopefully, this gives you all a basic idea of our focus with AB3.2 and a timetable for when to start anticipating its release. Colen and I will do our best to give you guys periodic updates along the way. If we don't remember to do it because we're up to our eyeballs in the code, please ping us here to remind us. :-)
As the end of May approaches I was wondering if you have a revised release date? As someone who works in the software industry I understand how dates seem to slip right (though hopefully not with more health problems).

Anyway, keep up the good work. I've just renewed my license and look forward to seeing an update in the next few months.

Regards

Mark C
MarkC is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 15th, 2009, 03:39 PM
We're running behind where we wanted to be. :-( At this point, my best guess is late June. However, lots of progress is being made and we showed off a bunch of the new stuff at a tradeshow last month.
rob is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Drow

Old May 18th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Rob,
love the software and i've been an avid user of it for a Vary LONG time (since 1.1 i think)... just one thing i would like to see is ... in the authoring kit, could you make it a little more user friendly, I could never get it to work right ... or maybe put out a downloadable video on the basics and some of the more advanced stuff so there can be a few more Data file writers out there.

just my 2 cents...

Ed
Drow is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
winged_human

Send a message via AIM to winged_human Send a message via MSN to winged_human Send a message via Yahoo to winged_human

Old May 20th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I agree with Drow... I am attempting to build a data file for a game, and it's NOT very user friendly. Yo9u almost need a decent background in programming to do this.
winged_human is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 26th, 2009, 06:27 PM
The AB engine was written to support a vastly diverse range of game systems and game mechanics. As a result, there are hundreds of different mechanisms provided, of which most game systems only need a relatively small number. The problem for a prospective author is in identifying which mechanisms those are and then deciding how best to combine them. The problem for us is that there is already a ridiculous volume of documentation in the Kit and the combinatorics of trying to document all the various combos is prohibitive.

If you are trying to write data files for a particular game system, I recommend starting a thread here on the forums where you ask for guidance. There are veteran authors here on the forums, as well as Colen and myself. We ought to be able to point you in the right direction and get you rolling.

IMPORTANT!!!
If you do this, there are TWO requirements that you MUST adhere to. First, you will be assumed to have read the basic Kit information and be familiar with all the terminology and process of writing data files. If you ask questions that indicate you haven't read the basics in the docs, you won't get a very warm response. Second, you may know the game system in question in-depth, but the rest of us probably don't. Therefore, you need to provide us with a recap of the basic game mechanics that you're trying to model. That way, we can actually provide useful assistance. If you do both those things, we'll all do our best to point you in the right direction on stuff. :-)
rob is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
MarkC

Old June 18th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
We're running behind where we wanted to be. :-( At this point, my best guess is late June. However, lots of progress is being made and we showed off a bunch of the new stuff at a tradeshow last month.
Any updates to the schedule. Should we start getting excited yet?

Will the data files from AB3.1 be compatible with AB3.2, or will they need to be recompiled or reworked?

If the data files are not compatible, will it be possible to have AB3.1 and AB3.2 installed side by side on the same computer.

Thanks

Mark C
MarkC is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 19th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I'll start a new thread with details on V3.2.
rob is offline   #27 Reply With Quote