Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Merion

Old January 27th, 2017, 12:36 AM
I just started playing around with HL as combat tracker in addition to Realm Works when running my games.

It worked great for tracking initiative and quite okay as reference for monster abilities (still have to learn where to find what in HL). I also tried to use it for damage tracking but quickly stopped that after the first round and reverted back to pen and paper.
The many clicks distracted me from running my game instead of making it easier.

Now my question is:
Am I just doing wrong? Do I really have to click on the apply damage button, then type in the amount of damge and then click again on the skull button every single time someone deals damage? Or is there a smoother way that involves less clicking, typing and changing of windows?
Merion is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old January 27th, 2017, 01:40 AM
I never had an issue with it. Alot easier than pen and paper IMO. I just open the window as the player starts attacking and leave it open until that player is done. If the party are attacking the same mob it just stays open.

I don't track my players though. I trust them to do that.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 27th, 2017, 07:47 AM
Which game system is this? Each system defines how the tactical console works for that game, including how the tactical console handles damage for that system.
Mathias is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old January 28th, 2017, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
I never had an issue with it. Alot easier than pen and paper IMO. I just open the window as the player starts attacking and leave it open until that player is done. If the party are attacking the same mob it just stays open.

I don't track my players though. I trust them to do that.
I don't track my player either. I just thought there might be an easier way. To be honest, I expected some kind of HP slider in the tactical console or the like.
Well, maybe I just need to get used to it. But there's probably room for improvement on the UI side.

I fear, I'm rapidly becoming the UI zealot of this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Which game system is this? Each system defines how the tactical console works for that game, including how the tactical console handles damage for that system.
Pathfinder, sorry for not mentioning it.
Merion is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old January 28th, 2017, 03:28 AM
The ui is undergoing a rebuild currently. Apparently. We know no details.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old January 29th, 2017, 07:43 AM
Actually, the OP brings up a good point. What's a click-free way (or close to click-free) to adjust HP for creatures in combat?

The best I can think of is a text field next to each creature in the TC. You click once on that field, then type a number and hit Enter.

Maybe a way to Shift-click or Ctrl-click to select multiple creatures at once so that damage or healing can be applied to more than one at a time...?
Azhrei is offline   #6 Reply With Quote