Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

mccracken02

Old November 10th, 2013, 11:57 AM
I don't think there is an existing way to do this, but would be interested if i'm missing something.

Let's say I have these three topics:

Kingdom of Humanland
City of Joestown
Basket Weaving University

And I wanted the following bit of history to be a snippet that appears in each:

"In the year 3098, King Joe established the Basket Weaving University in Joestown as the premier learning establishment for basket weaving in the Kingdom"

Let's say this is a very well known fact. I would want the players to know that with a history check in any of these topics, rather than me forgetting which topics to have open when the players ask about history relevant to the kingdom or town. This is a particular problem if there are hundreds of topics in the kingdom.

Now if the snippet is associated in DB with a topic_id, rather than the other way around, I would guess this would be difficult.
mccracken02 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Ladyofdragons

Old November 11th, 2013, 05:16 AM
I would assume the history snippet to be in your BWU topic. Then within City of Joestown you would put in the features that it is the home of BWU (which would auto-link to your history), and within the Kingdom history timeline you would say 3098, BWU Established (again the link). Or at least that would be how I would do it. Full text once, slight mention enough to get the link to it everywhere else.

I do see the allure of having the text in front of you for something simple rather than having to click-through. perhaps an "embedded snippet" type snippet, where you add it, point to the source, then it displays within the target.

-------------------------------------
"...You're going to backstab him with a ballista?"
Ladyofdragons is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
mccracken02

Old November 11th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Your example is a good logical way to organize the information. My only concern is that on a kingdom level, which can contain links to 100s or 1000s of topics, it would be hard to notice a link to BWU if my players ask about education in the kingdom while I'm not actively looking at Joestown. I can see this happening to me with a ton of different knowledge checks, especially when working with an established setting.

Embedded snippet is a good name for what I'm asking for, like a snippet pointer. I imagine it would be easier to support a new type of snippet than rework how all the existing snippet types function.

Also, I'm wondering if I'm missing something about searching for topics. I would like to do a text search for topics, view the results, and choose to open a result in current or new tab. The existing method is built to filter, not really search and open. I find the current click based interface a bit cumbersome for quickly locating information, and ctrl+chift+f would require opening a new tab before searching.

Last edited by mccracken02; November 11th, 2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: grammar
mccracken02 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote