Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Sendric

Old December 7th, 2020, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoanderthal View Post
Hi Folks,
I still play 3.5 occasionally and I was using PCGen but wanted to use HL (since I've got it for PF and the 5E SRD) for 3.5 as well. I found this excellent-looking community data set, but I seem to be either not understanding something or missing a step.
I can download and install either the URL or the HL package and either method updates properly, but I don't see an entry in the game systems for the Game system - just the option for the HL-provided d20 system.

Do I need to purchase the d20 system in order to use the community data set?
The community set adds to the d20 base system, and is not a separate game system. HL won't process user-created data files (which is what the community set is) unless you purchase the d20 system. So, yes, unfortunately you will need to purchase d20 for HL if you want to use the community set.
Sendric is offline   #1091 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old December 7th, 2020, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoanderthal View Post
Hi Folks,
I still play 3.5 occasionally and I was using PCGen but wanted to use HL (since I've got it for PF and the 5E SRD) for 3.5 as well. I found this excellent-looking community data set, but I seem to be either not understanding something or missing a step.
I can download and install either the URL or the HL package and either method updates properly, but I don't see an entry in the game systems for the Game system - just the option for the HL-provided d20 system.

Do I need to purchase the d20 system in order to use the community data set?
No, you can use HL free as a Demo. You don't need to buy the d20 package to use the Community Pack.
Make sure you follow the instructions on the first page of this thread to get the community pack setup.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Sendric. Even if he doesn't buy the d20 package, he should still be able to run/see the community stuff... or have things changed? If you don't buy d20, you can make characters, but not save or print them. (This might be both of us looking at "use" differently)

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.

Last edited by Dami; December 7th, 2020 at 09:33 PM.
Dami is offline   #1092 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 8th, 2020, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dami View Post
No, you can use HL free as a Demo. You don't need to buy the d20 package to use the Community Pack.
Make sure you follow the instructions on the first page of this thread to get the community pack setup.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Sendric. Even if he doesn't buy the d20 package, he should still be able to run/see the community stuff... or have things changed? If you don't buy d20, you can make characters, but not save or print them. (This might be both of us looking at "use" differently)
Good point. I might have been thinking about something else. In any case, the best way to find out for sure is to install the community set and see if it works without a license.
Sendric is offline   #1093 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 11th, 2020, 06:15 AM
@Bloodwolf: Where is the Fang Dragon from? I don't see it in the community set.

Also, which source should the Shadow Dragon be placed into? I see it with two sources listed.
Sendric is offline   #1094 Reply With Quote
Bloodwolf

Old December 22nd, 2020, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
@Bloodwolf: Where is the Fang Dragon from? I don't see it in the community set.

Also, which source should the Shadow Dragon be placed into? I see it with two sources listed.
Well both Fang Dragon and Shadow dragon originally came from Monster of Fearun, which was 3.0, but were republished in Draconomicon, which were 3.5. They have no changes between the two books. So not sure where they should be included.
Bloodwolf is offline   #1095 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old December 22nd, 2020, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwolf View Post
Well both Fang Dragon and Shadow dragon originally came from Monster of Faerun, which was 3.0, but were republished in Draconomicon, which were 3.5. They have no changes between the two books. So not sure where they should be included.
I have both books. The obvious change between editions is DR/+1 to DR/+3 becoming DR/magic. The Shadow Dragon has a CR 1 point lower for each age category in Draconomicon. I can't see any other differences. [EDIT: 3.5 Errata for MoF actually says increase the CR's of both Dragons by +1, and lists different class skills for each than what normal dragons receive. All of this appears to have been dumped/ignored when doing the Draconomicon.]
I'm of the opinion that the 3.5 version be used, making Draconomicon the primary source, but both books can be sourced for those who have one book but not the other.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.

Last edited by Dami; December 22nd, 2020 at 09:14 PM.
Dami is offline   #1096 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 23rd, 2020, 04:55 AM
Thanks guys. I generally will default to the more recent source, so I'll put them both in Draconomicon, and make any adjustments that may be necessary to match that source. I will, naturally, source both books in the process.
Sendric is offline   #1097 Reply With Quote
Bloodwolf

Old December 30th, 2020, 02:10 PM
So is there a script to delete items that have a specific tag?

Example, a script that would delete all items that have the spell-like ability tags.

The idea is to add this to a template. Particularly the skeletal dragon template. Currently all skeletal templates "delete" all special abilities, but they still show in the Special tab. I want to only delete the spell-like abilities and supernatural abilities.

Code:
~ Disable all special abilities apart from the ones that we bootstrap
      foreach pick in hero from BaseSpec where "!component.BaseFeat & !thingid.xDamRdB & !thingid.xImmCold & !thingid.rDarkVis"
        perform eachpick.assign[Helper.FtDisable]
        nexteach
Is the current script but only disables all special abilities except for what the template boot straps. So it doesn't really help to say disable just a type of special ability.

Last edited by Bloodwolf; December 30th, 2020 at 02:15 PM.
Bloodwolf is offline   #1098 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 31st, 2020, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwolf View Post
So is there a script to delete items that have a specific tag?

Example, a script that would delete all items that have the spell-like ability tags.

The idea is to add this to a template. Particularly the skeletal dragon template. Currently all skeletal templates "delete" all special abilities, but they still show in the Special tab. I want to only delete the spell-like abilities and supernatural abilities.

Code:
~ Disable all special abilities apart from the ones that we bootstrap
      foreach pick in hero from BaseSpec where "!component.BaseFeat & !thingid.xDamRdB & !thingid.xImmCold & !thingid.rDarkVis"
        perform eachpick.assign[Helper.FtDisable]
        nexteach
Is the current script but only disables all special abilities except for what the template boot straps. So it doesn't really help to say disable just a type of special ability.
You can't "delete" things, no. Best you can do is disable them or hide them. The script above is similar to what you'd use.

Code:
foreach pick in hero from BaseSpec where "[tag]"
        perform eachpick.assign[Helper.SpcDisable]
        perform eachpick.delete[Helper.ShowSpec]
nexteach
I'm not on a computer with HL installed at the moment, so I might be wrong about the SpcDisable tag, but it's similar to FtDisable. Deleting Helper.ShowSpec will remove things from the Specials tab. Depending on how scripts are written, either of these tags being present or not may or may not affect whether scripts are run. I do try to make sure scripts don't run if things aren't being shown.

Also, you'll replace [tag] with the tag you want to look for. Take a look at your things and see what tag is on all of them. If memory serves, AbilType.SpellLike will be on all SpellLike abilities (or something like that).

Last edited by Sendric; December 31st, 2020 at 06:43 AM.
Sendric is offline   #1099 Reply With Quote
Monteparnas

Old January 4th, 2021, 07:03 AM
I just found that the feat 'Draconic Arcane Grace' is missing, from Races of The Dragon pp. 102.
Monteparnas is offline   #1100 Reply With Quote