Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Maidhc O Casain

Old July 31st, 2020, 07:15 AM
I run or am in three different long running Pathfinder games and have set default character configurations for each. I've got them saved as three different "game systems."

I use both a full laptop and a tablet computer, and would like to duplicate those default settings on each machine.

Will it work to copy a file from the data folder on one machine to the data folder on another? If so, which file?
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 31st, 2020, 08:33 AM
If all else fails, I think you can brute-force copy the folders for the "game systems" and it should all work. That's how I've moved data between computers before. Not all of the files are necessary, but it might be better to be safe than sorry. I assume you have enough licenses for both machines?
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old July 31st, 2020, 08:49 AM
I do have licenses for both. Thanks, Duggan.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old July 31st, 2020, 09:03 AM
When you say, "default character configurations", do you mean selecting the sources as via Ctrl-K / Cmd-K on the desktop? If so, what I do is copy a portfolio with one (empty) char into DropBox and import that to the tablet. Whenever I want to create a new char, I copy the empty one to a new name and then edit the new one. So I have three "empty" portfolios on the tablet and I name them based on the campaign so it's easier to remember which is which.
Azhrei is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old July 31st, 2020, 11:32 AM
That is what I mean. But in my case I actually saved the default configurations each to a renamed folder in the data folder. So I have 'Pathfinder Golarion,' 'Pathfinder En,' and 'Pathfinder Sihjul' game systems. Each setting has not only different default sources enabled, bit also has different house rules.

I now find that I need each of the three on my tablet as well as my laptop.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 31st, 2020, 11:36 AM
The Portfolio could probably just be copied over in that case. Is this a Windows tablet then?
Duggan is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old July 31st, 2020, 12:03 PM
Yeah, Windows tablet. But I'm not looking for just one portfolio. I need to set it up so that if I'm making a new Sihjul character in that setting the default sources will be automatically enabled.

Might be the 1st file, might be config. Or something completely different. I'm as much trying to enhance understanding of how it works as to do it - as you said, I can always just copy over all of the files.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 31st, 2020, 12:21 PM
The default sources are stored down two levels, in herolab.prefs (c:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\herolab.prefs on my computer). But if the list of folders on one computer doesn't match the list of folders for the other computer, I'm not sure what would happen from just copying that file, since the file has a list of folders, and then the default sources for each. So one alternative would be to copy the entire Hero Lab folder out of ProgramData from one computer to the other.

I think I'd go at it this way - create your various copies of the game system on the new computer, and then import your campaign setup character. Open that character in the right copy of the game system, and set the default sources for that folder to what that character uses. Then, switch to the next folder, open the right base character, and set the defaults for that folder.
Mathias is online now   #8 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old July 31st, 2020, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
The default sources are stored down two levels, in herolab.prefs (c:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\herolab.prefs on my computer). But if the list of folders on one computer doesn't match the list of folders for the other computer, I'm not sure what would happen from just copying that file, since the file has a list of folders, and then the default sources for each. So one alternative would be to copy the entire Hero Lab folder out of ProgramData from one computer to the other.

I think I'd go at it this way - create your various copies of the game system on the new computer, and then import your campaign setup character. Open that character in the right copy of the game system, and set the default sources for that folder to what that character uses. Then, switch to the next folder, open the right base character, and set the defaults for that folder.
Thanks, Matthias - that makes perfect sense!
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #9 Reply With Quote