Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

TobyFox2002

Old July 6th, 2019, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHorse42 View Post
I'm running a PF Dragonlance campaign, and was struggling through creating Draconians in HL. Discovering this work is fantastic!

However, I have noticed that the PrC's from DL I was going to use (like Dragon Rider) have incorrect requirements for some things like Skill prequisites. Skill prerequs for D&D 3E/3.5 would be +3 ranks higher than PF since the cap on skill ranks was higher.

Is this just a quirk I happen to encounter in a particular PrC, or something not accounted for across the board?
This is actually a point of contention between people convert 3.x content to pathfinder. Some people are of the belief that the extra +3 skill ranks help to balance the inherent strength of 3.x material over pf as it requires an extra three levels to obtain.

I do not generally subscribe to that belief, I believe that in most cases skills and PrCs should be adjusted to pathfinder.

In the case of the dragon rider, looking back I appear not to have followed my own rule, even though I intended to adjust them down. My intent was to use the lower of the two and if a GM wanted to use the original values they could do so, as the original value is listed.

So thanks for reporting this.

--- Edit ---
Hmm,
Actually the reason I probably didnt adjust the requirements down is because leadership in Pathfinder ultimately requires level 7. Which would mean, well you could not obtain it at level 5 (the level you'd get if you reduced the skills down by 3). Even so, the earliest you'd be able to get this as written is level 8 one level after leadership. Seems kinda without point to adjust down unless you are dropping the leadership req.

Last edited by TobyFox2002; July 6th, 2019 at 09:10 AM.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #191 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 7th, 2019, 06:08 PM
In Pathfinder, skills are Rank + 3 if you are trained, or just Rank if not... In 3.X you could buy up to 4 ranks in skills at first level in a class skill. Pathfinder effectively changed the way skills work by having you limited to 1 rank per level not 4 ranks at first level. The adjustment to skill requirements in Pathfinder is part of the conversion process, in essence, you cannot convert the material directly and just use it as is... In 3.x a minimum of 8 ranks in a skill was effectively a level limit of 5th level, in Pathfinder 5 ranks in a skill meets that requirement. Hence why you see converted Prestige Classes end up like this... its based on what level you meet the requirements that makes it a conversion...

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #192 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old July 7th, 2019, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
In Pathfinder, skills are Rank + 3 if you are trained, or just Rank if not... In 3.X you could buy up to 4 ranks in skills at first level in a class skill. Pathfinder effectively changed the way skills work by having you limited to 1 rank per level not 4 ranks at first level. The adjustment to skill requirements in Pathfinder is part of the conversion process, in essence, you cannot convert the material directly and just use it as is... In 3.x a minimum of 8 ranks in a skill was effectively a level limit of 5th level, in Pathfinder 5 ranks in a skill meets that requirement. Hence why you see converted Prestige Classes end up like this... its based on what level you meet the requirements that makes it a conversion...

This is true in a direct sense when converting things by the book and going by specific rules. However, there is a school of thought that believes that keeping the higher number of skills to inflate the required levels helps balance classes. Keeping feats, abilities and PrC's that were overpowered in 3.x from being so in Pathfinder.

As I stated in my reply, I do not subscribe to this view, mainly because I think the entire concept of Overpowered Content is total rubbish. A skilled GM, working with players who dont want to be disruptive can balance things on the fly while keeping any flavor that higher powered content gives. (Except for RGG's Horrifically Overpowered Feats, which are just plain CRAAAZY :P).

And, I also stated that I did not follow my own rule in this matter for the Dragonrider class, something I will be correcting for my next release, sometime in late September or Mid October.

-------------------------------------

PS., I will be making a forum post regarding the future of the converted content and my plans for the converted content and Pathfinder 2e (or potential lack thereof depending on what replies I get to some questions).

The post will also contain a list of the major changes for the next release. I intend to make this post sometime within the next week or so.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #193 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 8th, 2019, 06:21 AM
That would be homebrew, in which case those people are free to make new copies of the material and raise those requirements in the prereqs. However, it will take a heavy time investment to do that. When I created my conversions I did what I did to stick to the levels things could be gained at.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #194 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old July 12th, 2019, 03:54 AM
Ello folks, I am starting to get things ready for the next update cycle. I have a number of things I am looking for assistance with. Specifically testing various aspects to make sure it doesnt cause lots of problems.

The first thing I am looking for help with is making sure the *.stock file for Terrors of Athass (Dark Sun) is accurate. I am not very knowledgable with Dark Sun, never having played the setting.

If you would like to help, you can grab the Dark Sun - Terrors of Athass.stock from dropbox. Please be aware that this file is provided AS IS, and although, I dont think it will cause any problems I dont know for certain. This file is the consolidated *.stock file combining each monster from their own stock file so you may need to delete those to prevent duplicates.

The next thing I'm looking for help with is making sure my updated version of Subraces (Elves, Dwarves, Halflings etc) doesnt break everyones stuff. I set most of the separated subraces to Obsolete, Ghostwise, Strongheart; Dimernesti, Dargonesti, Silvanesti, and such like because it was cluttering the race selector with an enormous number of options. They will not be removed but they will also not be selectable in the future with this version.

I instead set them each up with an Ethnicity. Allowing people to have multiple sources selected for spells, feats, classes or for crossover campaigns. I do not have a file set up for these because, I dont want to pack these up until I'm a little closer to release. Those who want to help, feel free to send me a message and we can set up a time to talk (voice) on discord.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #195 Reply With Quote
pyro894

Old August 21st, 2019, 11:55 PM
Keep Getting this: thanks.

The data files could not be loaded due to errors. Hero Lab will now attempt to load them in recovery mode. Once loaded, you can access the editor as normal to correct any errors.

The following errors occurred:

Thing 'ioElHorRe' - Bootstrap thing 'sp35Sunbe7' does not exist
Thing 'ioFRAnsHar' - Bootstrap thing 'sp35HeaCr5' does not exist
Thing 'ioFRGlChLa' - Bootstrap thing 'sp35HeaCr5' does not exist
Thing 'ioFROllHar' - Bootstrap thing 'sp35Eyebi6' does not exist
Thing 'isFREntrap' - Bootstrap thing 'sp35OtiRS4' does not exist
Thing 'tmFRChsnBa' - Bootstrap thing 'x35DamRd' does not exist
Thing 'tmFRZinCar' - Bootstrap thing 'x35DamRd' does not exist
pyro894 is offline   #196 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old August 22nd, 2019, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro894 View Post
Keep Getting this: thanks.

The data files could not be loaded due to errors. Hero Lab will now attempt to load them in recovery mode. Once loaded, you can access the editor as normal to correct any errors.

The following errors occurred:

Thing 'ioElHorRe' - Bootstrap thing 'sp35Sunbe7' does not exist
Thing 'ioFRAnsHar' - Bootstrap thing 'sp35HeaCr5' does not exist
Thing 'ioFRGlChLa' - Bootstrap thing 'sp35HeaCr5' does not exist
Thing 'ioFROllHar' - Bootstrap thing 'sp35Eyebi6' does not exist
Thing 'isFREntrap' - Bootstrap thing 'sp35OtiRS4' does not exist
Thing 'tmFRChsnBa' - Bootstrap thing 'x35DamRd' does not exist
Thing 'tmFRZinCar' - Bootstrap thing 'x35DamRd' does not exist
All of the items that it says you are missing are from the Dungeons and Dragons Conversion file. Which are required for all 3.5 conversion content, mostly because of mechanical changes between pathfinder and 3.5. Or content that all of my conversion content share in equally.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #197 Reply With Quote
xeth1313

Old August 22nd, 2019, 11:18 AM
I very much like the idea of adding this content into my hero lab, but I think it may have disabled the Adopted social trait? Is that intentional?
xeth1313 is offline   #198 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old August 22nd, 2019, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeth1313 View Post
I very much like the idea of adding this content into my hero lab, but I think it may have disabled the Adopted social trait? Is that intentional?
The adopted trait has indeed been replaced. Apparently their is a trait called, "Adopted or Raised." in forgotten realms that allows you to take traits from other regions than your own.

I didn't really know this, it wasn't set up as a preclude and the regions and such were entered before me. I will look into correcting this. In the mean time you should be able to use this trait instead and I think it will count as the Adopted trait from the ARG.

I am not sure I like the idea of using a replacement for this because if its original source being one of the core paizo books, but I will have to think about how to proceed.

The FR source also precludes the ethnicities from Golarion, this is something I really do not like and has been on my todo list to fix for some time. I'll just have to see what breaks when I undo it :P

Anyways, thanks for pointing this out so I wasnt prompt about replying. I wanted to figure out what was going on first.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #199 Reply With Quote
xeth1313

Old August 22nd, 2019, 03:29 PM
You are doing amazing work. I only installed this recently and am still feeling my way around it. I am excited just to be poking at it.
xeth1313 is offline   #200 Reply With Quote