Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 16th, 2016, 11:51 AM
Real quick thoughts on the tools...

* Making them available should have no legal issues. If someone uses them on a pirated PDF they acquired, that's fine. The key requirement of publishers is ensuring that users can't re-distribute the material, which is the big problem with pirated PDFs. That can be solved by simply shutting down anyone who tries, since we'll have control over the conduit used for distribution.

* There are no "self competition" concerns here. Look at Hero Lab. We make all the same tools we use fully available, so anybody can create their own data files from the books/PDFs they own. Some users do that, but the vast majority value their time more than the money it costs to have that already work done for them. That will be the same with Realm Works.

* The big issue is that the tools aren't even remotely ready for anyone else to use. I wouldn't even consider letting a trusted 3PP have access to them right now, since there are too many gotchas littered across them. Even with lots of signs saying "Here be dragons!" within the tools, our own people have gotten themselves into trouble on a few occasions. So the tools are in no way ready for controlled use by trusted parties, let alone ready for the average user to dive in with! Getting there will take time to improve the tools, and that time competes with everything else we're trying to get done. Making the tools available is definitely something I want to do, but it's a lower priority than many other things, which need to be completed first.

* An additional issue with the tools is that we're employing some commercial libraries and tools into the overall process, since there's no value in re-inventing wheels. Those external components would currently need to be purchased by someone who wants to use the tools we've created, and two of them are expensive (i.e. lots more than the cost of Realm Works). So making the tools available to users is a non-starter until we can resolve that issue in some reasonable way. I think it's doable, but it would require still further work on our part to put into place, making the overall task that much more time-intensive.

Hope this helps clarify things!
rob is offline   #91 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 16th, 2016, 12:43 PM
One other thing about tools: as a creator who has access to such things, I'd want a toolset that works from my source files. PDF is an output format, one that loses much of the extra information known even at the level of a layout document (or set of layout documents). Depending on your creative process you might be able to provide even more information than that. A set of tools that fit my process should not only be smoother (because the process is known) but also be able to incorporate intentions and other extra information known at various levels.

The problem, of course, is that everyone's process is different, so the tools and the creative process have to adapt to fit.

Last edited by Parody; August 16th, 2016 at 12:47 PM.
Parody is offline   #92 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old August 16th, 2016, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
One other thing about tools: as a creator who has access to such things, I'd want a toolset that works from my source files. PDF is an output format, one that loses much of the extra information known even at the level of a layout document (or set of layout documents). Depending on your creative process you might be able to provide even more information than that. A set of tools that fit my process should not only be smoother (because the process is known) but also be able to incorporate intentions and other extra information known at various levels.

The problem, of course, is that everyone's process is different, so the tools and the creative process have to adapt to fit.
Converting from PDF is probably the most cost efficient. If you have enough content that needs to converted paying an IT pro to look at your sources and figure out how to convert them might be an option but you'd need some sort of direct access to the underlying RW db. Ultimately this is why I was hoping for some sort of PDF to RW tool no matter how primitive.

I've messed around with a tool that just took a large amount of text and broke it down to individual sentences, pretty easy to do with regular expressions, which was my first try at breaking a PDF into snippets. It really doesn't save that much time compared to all the other parts of converting a PDF to a RW's realm.

I was very interested in what else LDF was doing to speed up their work flow.
kbs666 is offline   #93 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old August 16th, 2016, 03:16 PM
full DB access oh *dreams* (75% of my problems = resolved)

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #94 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old August 17th, 2016, 01:03 PM
I have to admit i've spent countless hours populating my realm with content from 3, 4 and 5th edition srun sourcebooks.

Tons of copy-pasta'd lore.

Not sure how any of that could be automated given the changing layouts of the Srun books.
adzling is offline   #95 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old August 18th, 2016, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acenoid View Post
full DB access oh *dreams* (75% of my problems = resolved)
Uh huh. Be careful what you wish for.
EightBitz is offline   #96 Reply With Quote
Philderbeast

Old August 29th, 2016, 03:19 AM
came to read this hoping for some new info... unfortunately it seems like its still coming soon(tm)

I bought this software to run my rune lords campaign, and that's has been dead for 2 years now and I still cant buy the campaign in the tool i bought to run it.

its not all doom and gloom, but I'm surprised you didn't realize the need for automated tools for adventure important a Long time ago, although at least you have them now.

That said Realm works is still a good tool and has its place, but knowing what I know now, I would not buy it to run a published adventure in its current form, or even in an established game setting, its just to painfull to get that level of content in. if your home brewing that, then I would say its indispensable.
Philderbeast is offline   #97 Reply With Quote
gloranphile

Old August 29th, 2016, 06:46 AM
So here's the thing with my 1.6 GB realm.

I personally inputed 800+ pages of the Guide to Glorantha (think a complete guide to Tekumel or some other highly-detailed world), along with all the images and maps by hand myself . While it took me several months to complete, it was worth it. And whenever the team changed things in the program, my realm broke it. A lot. But this was a good thing since it helped make RW better for all of us.

Was that the end of my time in RealmWorks? No.

I spend lots of time creating advanced information for my PCs, plots, NPCs, etc. This is time well spent for me, as even the act of typing out these items makes me remember them even more for game time.

Now, not a ton of people play in Glorantha. That means every single book written for the world will likely never get entered into RealmWorks. It's just not feasible for LWD or small companies to take the time to do it. This means that for those of us who don't play Pathfinder or D&D, we're going to have to do the work ourselves, and personally, I like it that way. I know where everything is in my realm!

And my next game will likely not even be in Glorantha. I'm planning a superhero game set in a modified modern world. So I'll go into Realm Works and create a brand new Realm from scratch again.

Because that's what we do as GMs. We create. We imagine and we make happen.

RW makes my life easier. I don't have to sort through thousands of Topics to find what I'm looking for. I can do a search or click a link. I'm very happy with my purchase and look forward to creating more realms in the future!

D100 for life!

Last edited by gloranphile; August 29th, 2016 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Clarity
gloranphile is offline   #98 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old August 31st, 2016, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloranphile View Post
RW makes my life easier. I don't have to sort through thousands of Topics to find what I'm looking for. I can do a search or click a link. I'm very happy with my purchase and look forward to creating more realms in the future!
Bravo! Well said.

When I saw this topic had a new post I groaned and wondered who was beating the dead horse this time. I'm glad that wasn't the case. :-)
ruhar is offline   #99 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old September 9th, 2016, 08:47 AM
For me RW is for creating new content. I use it when creating adventures and my home-brew campaign world, because it is better suited for that than MS Word, Google Docs, Evernote, Onenote, etc.

For published adventure paths, like Curse of Straud or Storm Kings Thunder (which I've bought), and which I would run outside of my world and as stand-alone adventure paths, I wouldn't bother with the data entry, even if they were available in PDFs. I don't find typing (or copy-pasting-formatting) large volumes of existing content fun. If they were available for purchase in the Content Market, I would buy them in a heart beat. Otherwise, paper is good enough for me.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #100 Reply With Quote