Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

ItsmeKidney

Old August 5th, 2018, 08:46 PM
My group doesn't really use most of the games' "background". Specifically, we don't do anything that has to do with personality traits, ideals, bonds, or flaws. I know I can just leave these things blank and be fine, but I'm getting really annoyed at seeing that error exclamation point up there. Anyway, I'm hoping there's a way in the editor to simply get rid of the requirements to include the aforementioned things. Also I know I can just add in blanks, but I do not want to. I also still want to have the background features and skill proficiencies and all that.

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can give!
ItsmeKidney is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old August 6th, 2018, 08:44 AM
I don't think you can turn off backgrounds, at least not in any easy way as annoying as that exclamation point can be at times.

The backgrounds all grant some unique features to the character, are you replacing this with a free Feat or some other feature? Just wondering, because my players love to abuse the Folk Hero "hide from the local authorities" feature all the time, murder-hobo crew they are.
dungeonguru is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 6th, 2018, 09:43 AM
If you just need to turn off "some" features of the background you can do this easy enough. I recommend adding a script to a Mechanic if you want it on all characters.

Here is the debug fields of the Background pick. You just need to zero out these fields at like Final/50000:
5e 1.jpg

An adjustment for the community pack would be nice to also let people adjust the number of these values up or down.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ItsmeKidney

Old August 6th, 2018, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
I don't think you can turn off backgrounds, at least not in any easy way as annoying as that exclamation point can be at times.

The backgrounds all grant some unique features to the character, are you replacing this with a free Feat or some other feature? Just wondering, because my players love to abuse the Folk Hero "hide from the local authorities" feature all the time, murder-hobo crew they are.
I think I wasn't clear enough, really. I like backgrounds and I like the features and skills. What I'm not a fan of are the traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws. My group is very roleplay heavy (despite me running a mega dungeon), but we found having to write down our characters' personalities down on day 1 to be less fun than it was to let them sort of form their personalities during gameplay itself, if that makes sense.
ItsmeKidney is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ItsmeKidney

Old August 6th, 2018, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
If you just need to turn off "some" features of the background you can do this easy enough. I recommend adding a script to a Mechanic if you want it on all characters.

Here is the debug fields of the Background pick. You just need to zero out these fields at like Final/50000:
Attachment 6000

An adjustment for the community pack would be nice to also let people adjust the number of these values up or down.
Hey I'm so sorry but I'm really lost here. How did you get to those debug fields? Also, I looked in the "Mechanics" general tab and could find nothing relating to backgrounds to change.
ItsmeKidney is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old August 6th, 2018, 06:46 PM
ShadowChemosh got to those by going into the development debug options.

If you have debugging/development enabled it is:

Develop -> Floating Info Windows -> Show Selection Fields

When the dialog pops up as to what selection, you can choose Background (BackCheck).

In order to turn the minimum required down to zero the script would look similar to:

Code:
hero.childfound[BackCheck].field[BondMin].value = 0
for minimum number of Bonds required as an example.

I'm not 100% if childfound or findchild would be better here off the top of my head. I'd want to test it before commiting to it.
dungeonguru is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 7th, 2018, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
I'm not 100% if childfound or findchild would be better here off the top of my head. I'd want to test it before commiting to it.
In this case childfound[] is best and way faster than findchild[]. Childfound should be used when you know the exact Pick ID and you know only one instance of said Pick will exist.

If you need to find the specific instance of a Pick based on different tags then use findchild[]. Findchild is also good if you needed to just go after the single choice of race or deity because the Unique ID will always be different but you know only ONE Pick will exist on the hero at any one time.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote