Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Street

Old February 12th, 2016, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
I've never checked--can you bootstrap powers without actually having an arcane background? Will they even display?
Yes, you can Bootstrap an Arcane Background. Doing so removes all other Arcane Backgrounds from the Edge selection screen though.
Street is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Street

Old February 12th, 2016, 08:01 AM
TLDR; I've decided to go down the Edge route for the associated Powers with the Arcane Background(Fringeworthy). It behaves the same as all other AB's except that it utilizes the No power Points rules and has a 100% unique set of Powers. I need to think on this some more and I'll let you know how this works.

Long version and answers...

AB(F) operates just like any other AB though the setting does use the No Power Points rule. All characters get AB(F) for free. Without this characters could not access the main feature of the setting and there would be no point in playing it. The required Skill is called Crystal Key Use. This is what's rolled anytime a Power is used and does determine the outcome of the Power.

The setting includes a total of 21 Powers available at a various Ranks. All of these Powers are completely unique to this setting. When the AB(F) Edge is taken the player gets two specific Powers, Find Fringeworthy and Locate Portal. Additional Powers can be acquired by taking the New Power Edge.

I'm off the tinker and think now. Let me know if you have any other thoughts.
Street is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old February 12th, 2016, 03:52 PM
That'll still have the side effect of forbidding other Arcane Backgrounds--and there can certainly be psionic Fringeworthy.
Paragon is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old February 13th, 2016, 10:00 AM
This is why I was recommending to go the Edge route. If they do not use power points and you want to pay for them, which seems to be the case with using an Arcane Background, then just make them Edges. The effects of Edges can require the user to make a skill roll.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old February 13th, 2016, 03:32 PM
I don't even think they need to be separate edges, since every Fringeworthy can do all of them; one Edge with the text will probably do it, its just bulky.

Last edited by Paragon; February 13th, 2016 at 03:38 PM.
Paragon is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old February 13th, 2016, 04:24 PM
In that case, yeah one would do it.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old February 13th, 2016, 09:47 PM
Frankly, I'm not even sure why Fringeworthy is an edge, since essentially every PC is going to need it, but I guess they decided they wanted to represent it in some fashion.
Paragon is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 16th, 2016, 09:51 PM
Hiya, Street, been away for a bit.

"The setting includes a total of 21 Powers available at a various Ranks. ... When the AB(F) Edge is taken the player gets two specific Powers, ... Additional Powers can be acquired by taking the New Power Edge."

How about this? The idea of using Edges is a good one, I think. Create Fringeworthy as an Edge. There's no need to actually make it an Arcane Background or even call it one, just call it Fringeworthy as a Background Edge.

If they get two specific abilities when taking Fringeworthy, just add those abilities to Fringeworthy. If you want to create them as Edges, go ahead, just attach eval script code so they don't cost Edge points and bootstrap them to Fringeworthy. This has the advantage of listing them separately with the other 19.

For the other 19, rather than creating a New Power Edge and the AB baggage that goes with it, just create them as regular Edges under the Power Edges type. That way they cost Edges to buy like the New Power Edge would have. Also, you don't have to worry about any of the Arcane Background widgets that (from the sound of things) Fringeworthy doesn't need anyway.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder, SWADE Fantasy Companion
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Sci-Fi Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd

Last edited by CapedCrusader; February 16th, 2016 at 09:57 PM.
CapedCrusader is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old February 17th, 2016, 07:02 AM
Ah. I'd somehow completely missed the fact that the new assumption is that they don't get all the Fringeworthy related stuff in one bundle. So, yeah, what Caped Crusader said.

Though it seems at that point it'd be nice if the "powers" had a display space of their own.
Paragon is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old February 17th, 2016, 09:50 AM
If you make your own separator it will work during character creation. However it does not show up during advancement. Maybe have the edge name say FRINGE or something, and the short name say its printout name and you can search for FRINGE or whatever and it will just show those while selecting an edge.

SeeleyOne is offline   #20 Reply With Quote