Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old July 28th, 2017, 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFischer View Post
We still need data file paths editing in a day and age of cloud computing. Want to push Program Data Files to Dropbox.
We do indeed. I keep most of my files in the cloud these days. Means that on the sad day in which I have to reinstall my OS, I'm not bewailing the fact that I didn't keep backups.

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
zevonite

Old May 12th, 2018, 02:05 PM
I see that a lot of work has been done on the Savage Rifts data. I'm new to using custom data in Hero Lab. Where do I put the files? I tried using the GitHub address as a data source, but that created an error and did not modify my Savage Worlds character creation screen. I put the data in C:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\data\savage and it did nothing. What am I missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
zevonite is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old May 15th, 2018, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zevonite View Post
I see that a lot of work has been done on the Savage Rifts data. I'm new to using custom data in Hero Lab. Where do I put the files? I tried using the GitHub address as a data source, but that created an error and did not modify my Savage Worlds character creation screen. I put the data in C:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\data\savage and it did nothing. What am I missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
After you put the files in data\savage, check your sources in Hero Lab, and make sure you have the proper ones selected.
EightBitz is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old May 16th, 2018, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
All paths really need to be user definable. I was very close to requesting a refund when I installed and specified custom install and discovered that even though I directed the install to my D:/program files (x86) directory, a C:/programdata directory was also created and utilized.

Why? Because I use a SSD drive for C:/ which contains OS and static application files only. For those unfamiliar with SSD's, they dramatically speed up reads for file access so applications/programs gain a significant boost. The downside is that they have a limited number of writes to the device. Hero Lab forces a directory onto the C:/ and writes every time the program is accessed. Every time I use Hero Lab, a few bits die.... And that makes me sad.

SSD's are becoming more common for laptops and gaming systems. Cloud data support for centralized storage would be a huge plus for anyone using a desktop/laptop combo. I'd really like to see this limitation changed.
Just a side note, do you realize how many writes it takes to kill an even relatively modern SSD? Unless you keep you computer into the twilight of your years, its not an issue.

I once did the math because a friend would not own one for the very reason you have stated, it was like 25 yrs of avg use. Your drive will fail of a whole host of reasons before you kill it with writes. Remember, all SSDs have wear levelling technology to ensure all cells are used evenly as can be, and a failed cell is not a big deal, as they also have wear provisioning.

A good link to dispel this myth.

https://techreport.com/review/27909/...heyre-all-dead

Yes 2015 era drives.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old May 16th, 2018, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
Just a side note, do you realize how many writes it takes to kill an even relatively modern SSD? ...
The funny thing is that you're responding to a post from 2012 with a link to an article from 2015 here in 2018. :)

FWIW: I have moved some of Hero Lab's data off of my boot drive (using /dataroot) but I did it because my boot drive is small, not because I'm worried about the drive running out of writes.

Last edited by Parody; May 16th, 2018 at 06:03 AM.
Parody is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old May 17th, 2018, 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
The funny thing is that you're responding to a post from 2012 with a link to an article from 2015 here in 2018. :)

FWIW: I have moved some of Hero Lab's data off of my boot drive (using /dataroot) but I did it because my boot drive is small, not because I'm worried about the drive running out of writes.
HAHA wow I did not catch that, jeez time to get to sleep earlier and stop missing my nighty visit from the IQ fairy, I apparently am dire need of them.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #46 Reply With Quote