Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

pyremius

Old August 28th, 2014, 12:51 PM
As the Game Master, I use Player View in Realm Works to share information that I believe to be significant / evocative with the players. Once Player View is available and the characters have access to all of the information I've revealed previously, I can foresee situations where they will want to collectively review some of that information (especially maps, journals, etc.). If the Player View functionality from the GM version was available, it could be used to transfer only specific information to an external monitor or television, without revealing to the group any secrets the sharing character might have.
pyremius is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old August 28th, 2014, 01:46 PM
I can't imagine that the current mode is going away. Especially since the player client will not update information until you synch your realm. The GM's ability to present specific current information to players will still be essential.
AEIOU is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 28th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Player View is absolutely and integral part of the product and will remain so. Player Edition is a means of allowing players to access the material OUTSIDE of the game session, as well as lookup material during the game.

We regularly have players in our group posing questions like:

"Three months ago, there was the symbol we saw on the bad guy's ring before he escaped. The symbol on the Duke's ring we just met with sounds similar. Are they the same or not?"

This interrupts play while the GM stops to think it through, usually having to look up the information on his end. If the players have that info in front of them, they can do a quick search themselves of the revealed content and determine the answer without interrupting the flow of the game. There are many instances like this which arise for our gaming group every session, spanning all sorts of different questions, but all of which interrupt the flow. The goal with Player Edition is to eliminate the interruptions, except for the cool ones when player yells out "Holy crap! I think the Duke is in league with the bad guy because he's wearing the same symbol on his ring!" At which point the GM smiles because the players have made an important connection for the story.

That's the vision, at least.
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
pyremius

Old August 28th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Yep. My thought was that one of the players could have their laptop connected to a second monitor and share that information so everyone could see it (only a couple of my players have access to a Windows machine at the table, the rest are using Android).
pyremius is offline   #4 Reply With Quote