Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Shadowrun
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

sobergfell

Old May 7th, 2016, 04:59 PM
So my mage is already initiated, and my first metamagic was exorcism. ow I have a bunch karma to spend, and I want to learn the ritual whisper of bones. However it is greyed out because I do not know the school of necromancy. OK I initiate again, but there is no where to indicate which school I am initiating in, and whisperer of bones is still greyed out.

What am I doing wrong here? Is there a way to initiate in a particular school?
sobergfell is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 8th, 2016, 05:03 PM
In the Help menu...Shadowrun (5th) FAQ), in the "Where are the High Arts" link, here's our explanation:

Quote:
Here are some questions we asked Catalyst and Jason Hardy's answers to those questions;

I'd appreciate clarification about how high arts are intended to work.

On pg. 139, there seems to be a conflict between two different places about how much an advanced enchantment or ritual would cost. The end of the Introduction section says "A magician can learn additional advanced rituals and enchantments within that category by spending the same amount of time and karma that would be required to initiate to his or her current initiate grade.", but the "Magic Arts" sidebar on that page, in the Rituals section says "They cost the normal amount of Karma and time to learn". The Enchanting section also says that those cost the normal amount.

JMH: It should be the normal amount.

When setting up how Hero Lab tracks the high arts a character has, would you think of the high arts themselves as a thing that would be listed on a character, and on the statblock for that character? For example, the statblock might have the line "High Arts Apotropaic Magic, Exorcism"? Or would the high art be an understood thing if you have the gateway metamagic/ritual - if you have the Shielding metamagic, then you're assumed to be initiated into the Apotropaic Magic High Art?

JMH: The latter.

Based on his ruling that High Arts are not something that are added separately, we've implemented prereqs that require a specific high art as requiring the first ritual or metamagic in that high art. For example, Aspect Mana Line is the first ritual learned for the Geomancy High Art. Learning that will require your character to be an initiate, since a character "...can initiate into... a high art (Street Grimoire, pg. 139). The other rituals in the Geomancy art (Manifest Sha, Ley Sight and Recharge Reagents) all have their prereq implemented as "Aspect Mana Line required".
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
Kiirnodel

Old May 8th, 2016, 08:35 PM
This question was asked about 2-3 weeks ago.

I posted a potential "fix" to that thread.
Kiirnodel is offline   #3 Reply With Quote