Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 26th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSupernova View Post
Okay, I'll be perfectly honest and say that my first reaction to that sentence in the email was:

They're talking about limited coding resources, and too much to do, and they spend time adding hooks for an uber-expensive soundboard thingy that I'd be amazed if 1% of their users will use?

There are so many major features that are incomplete and they are announcing this.

Sorry, I felt that this was totally tone-deaf to the community and a bit of a kick in the ass.

I've resigned myself to sitting and waiting for this program to be more useful, but that caused my expectations to take a step backwards, not forwards.
That's quite an assumption!

This is something we designed in from the early days as a mechanism through which we'd provide integration with lots of apps, including VTTs. It's the same mechanism we've outlined to the d20Pro folks and other VTTs in our discussions with them.

Because it was already baked into how things work, we spent more time coordinating with the Syrinscape folks to get them clear on how to make it happen from their end than we did in the code on our end. Since Syrinscape happened to be the first folks ready to test out integration, they got the joint press. I expect one or more of the VTTs to have similar integration capabilities later this year, and we think we can leverage the same basic mechanism under the covers for something else tied to the Content Market.

Overall, we spent a few hours on this, including testing and verification.

As I have asked many times before, please do NOT make assumptions. Ask for clarification, and we'll do our best to provide it. There are lots of things in software (RW in particular) that appear easy and are actually extremely complex. There are similarly lots of things that appear complex and are actually quite easy. This happened to be one of the easy ones, mostly because we'd already laid the foundation for it early on, so we added it quickly and painlessly.
rob is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old July 26th, 2015, 04:26 PM
@Rob: Perception trumps reality. Please keep in mind that calendars and a few other items are festering subjects for many. So any (seemingly) brand new activity outside of the prescribed to-do's is going to raise eyebrows if it just magically appears on the done list.

It really is fantastic that the groundwork was built-in long ago and that this was the first product to really take advantage of it. Your planning is paying off! To me, this means the content market is close enough that other companies are investing serious effort into RW integration.
AEIOU is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
DMG

Old July 26th, 2015, 04:40 PM
A quick bit of background info before my question...

After subscribing to Syrinscape last month, I started to write my own app to control iTunes playlists in a similar manner to what Syrinscape does. Ie select a playlist & have iTunes fade the current playlist out, fade the new playlist in etc. It also inserts random length pauses between tracks for when you want just the occasional track to play.

I was going to ask Ben (Syrinscape) if there was even a chance of an external API so I could also control Syrinscape with a single click. But he beat me to it & released the API before I could post!

So on to my question: Rob, will there be a chance we could leverage the external API calls from Realm Works ourselves? So instead of controlling Syrinscape from RW & also having to control iTunes separately, I can make a similar API call to my own app that then controls both apps itself.
DMG is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old July 26th, 2015, 04:41 PM
If developers could work out the licensing, it would be pretty cool if you could buy an adventure in the content market that would have the soundscapes, graphics, and VTT stuff all built in.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old July 26th, 2015, 09:36 PM
I'll stop making assumptions when I feel have enough information that I don't need them.
MaxSupernova is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old July 26th, 2015, 11:41 PM
Quote:
I'll stop making assumptions when I feel have enough information that I don't need them.
In which case, is it possible for you to keep your assumptions to yourself, rather than posting them where Rob will have to spend time refuting it just to avoid the rest of our community from thinking that you are posting anything near the truth?
Farling is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Bobifle

Old July 27th, 2015, 01:17 AM
Come on guys let's not start a war !

Max concerns were legitimate.
Rob answered those concerns and we're all happy to know that synriscape integration did not interfer with major and highly expected features.

Cookie for everyone !
Bobifle is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 27th, 2015, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't have the time to stop and explain every little thing we're doing just in case somebody might not understand the rationale behind it all. If that's your expectation, as you imply above, then a few words from Princess Bride accurately sum up the situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZIlAExvneo

If you feel the need to stir up drama instead of simply asking questions and seeking understanding, please find somewhere else to do it. It's not constructive and it doesn't help anyone else here on the forums.

As we've demonstrated repeatedly, we're happy to provide answers and insights into what we're doing and why. All you have to do is ask politely, just like would be expected in an in-person social setting.

Thank you in advance for taking this request seriously.
rob is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 27th, 2015, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobifle View Post
Come on guys let's not start a war !

Max concerns were legitimate.
Rob answered those concerns and we're all happy to know that synriscape integration did not interfer with major and highly expected features.

Cookie for everyone !
I don't have a problem with anyone expressing their concerns. What I don't appreciate is they way those concerns were portrayed, and it seems I'm not the only one. A gross assumption was translated into certainty that we're "tone-deaf" and not to be trusted.

What I have repeatedly requested is for folks to ask questions and give us the chance to answer them before leaping to assumptions, and @MaxSupernova has seen that request on multiple occasions. Based on his response, it seems @MaxSupernova may prefer the drama and negativity that he can stir up by presenting gross assumptions and their implications as fact. I don't respect that, as I don't feel it serves anyone's CONSTRUCTIVE interests here on the forums. It's just drama for the sake of drama. I have enough of that at home with a 2-year-old, not to mention everything involved in keeping RW on track.

Questions are great, and we'll do our best to answer them. Negative views based on fact are perfectly acceptable. Just get the facts first. If someone can't be bothered to do that, I consider it rude to everyone else here on the forums. It's no different from an in-person social setting in that regard.

Now I need to get back to last-minute preparations for GenCon. We leave for the airport in about 30 hours....
rob is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old July 27th, 2015, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
I like that LWD is moving forward with integrating outside applications with RW.................On topic, at $6.50/month or $5-$20/pack Syrinscape is IMNSHO a ridiculously pricey add-on.... .................. I wish them luck but I think they are pricing themselves out of existence.
Agreed on both points, LWD resources are certainly better spent with such an approach. Your appraisal on Syrinscape is just what came to mind for me as well. Looks promising, but not for $78 annually for something I can do for free externally. I just can't justify the $$ for the "convenience" of having it integrate within RW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post
Since my players are all loud enough on their own to drown out a horde of crying babies on an airplane, I'm pretty sure that I won't be using it either. Neat idea though, but it's just not for me.
That's FUNNY.. I think my players might be moonlighting to your table... hehe though at times I'm certain they could be perceived as the screaming babies in this scenario.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
@Rob: Perception trumps reality. Please keep in mind that calendars and a few other items are festering subjects for many. So any (seemingly) brand new activity outside of the prescribed to-do's is going to raise eyebrows if it just magically appears on the done list.

It really is fantastic that the groundwork was built-in long ago and that this was the first product to really take advantage of it. Your planning is paying off! To me, this means the content market is close enough that other companies are investing serious effort into RW integration.
Sorry Rob have to agree with AEIOU on this, for over a year the "ground work" presumably exists for custom calendars, and we see no movement forward on that.... I agree with AEIOU its good that the planning is coming to fruition, but "soon" hardly fills the "answers and explanations" box.

Respectfully
DLG

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; July 27th, 2015 at 08:02 AM.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #20 Reply With Quote