Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

fizgig

Old June 16th, 2013, 02:13 PM
I am new to Hero Lab and have only been working in my project idea for about a week now and have spent most of that time going over the skeleton files and the wiki.

What I am running into is a question about file naming conventions. I can't seem to find a concrete answer about it. In my project I want to replace the thing_attributes file with a file containing the same information named thing_stats. I went through my whole skeleton directory and renamed all places in the files I found refrenced the thing_attributes file but HL still throws a slew of errors when I try to load the modified dataset. If I just add the data I want to the thing_attributes file (including deleting the existing sample thing) I get no errors.

Is this file naming fixed in HL or have I perhaps just missed changing a call somewhere? Thanks.

~Fiz
fizgig is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 16th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Only the extension matters. The filenames are up to you.

When you created thing_stats.dat, did you do so by renaming thing_attributes.dat, or did you duplicate it?

If you renamed it, make sure you kept the same extension. If you duplicated it, are the error messages saying that you have duplicated items? If so, go ahead and delete thing_attributes.dat.

There isn't supposed to be anything in the code that refers to the filenames, so there should have only been one change required in order to rename the thing_attributes.dat file.

For future reference, when Hero Lab gives you an error message, if you right-click the message, you'll have the option to copy it. Pasting the exact error message often makes it easier for us to diagnose the error.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote