Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

LazarX

Old April 22nd, 2018, 08:16 AM
Basically to you Mac users,... it's time to set up Boot Camp if you want to do anything gaming wise on your machines. Although maybe the Ipad experience might contravene my thought on tis.

Last edited by LazarX; April 22nd, 2018 at 08:23 AM.
LazarX is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
LazarX

Old April 22nd, 2018, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
I have done a couple of 32bit to 64bit ports. I haven't done a Mac port before, just Linux and Windows. The biggest issue is the libraries. RW hasn't moved to 64bit even though it really needs it because they can't get 64bit version of one of the GUI libraries they use.

The most problematic part is finding code that expects 32bit ints and now has 64bits and still works except in some edge cases.
Didn't you folks port the Ipad software to 64 bit? There isn't that much difference between IOS and what MacOS is becoming.
LazarX is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Gilfaroth

Old May 10th, 2018, 10:01 AM
FYI, all: I emailed LWD support about a 64-bit Mac HL update and got the following response:

Quote:
Our dev team responsible for version changes is aware of the warning message and upcoming 64-bit requirement for the OS. You will be fine to ignore the message and keep running Hero Lab Classic in the meantime, but we are planning to update the application to x64 in that OS environment so you have no need to worry.

Apple hasn't announced when macOS will be 64-bit only. With Apple is requiring 64-bit for all Mac App Store submissions, we’re definitely getting closer, and we’re guessing the switch over to mandatory enforcement to occur in or after 2020.
Long story short, we Mac folks should be okay .
Gilfaroth is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Tekwych

Old May 10th, 2018, 04:31 PM
The announcement from Apple should be part of the Keynote at WWDC 2018 on June 4
Tekwych is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
octimus

Old June 12th, 2018, 09:21 PM
It'd be great to hear from LWD staff what the future plan is. I run Hero Lab on a Mac, as I'm sure many others do. Mojave is the last version of macOS that'll support 32-bit, which means they have until the release of whatever comes after Mojave to update the app (September 2019). I don't know how much they use OpenGL, but that's going to go away in the same timeframe.
octimus is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old June 12th, 2018, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by octimus View Post
I don't know how much they use OpenGL, but that's going to go away in the same timeframe.
HL wouldn't be using OpenGL since HL doesn't have any 3D graphics going on.

However a lot of games use it, so expect to see a lot less PC games also on Mac since developers won't be willing to pay the extra cost to re-write it for a niche graphics library.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
DaveM
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 9th, 2018, 09:45 AM
I just wanted to let everyone know our current plans for the Mac version. We absolutely plan on continuing support for the Mac, however porting to 64-bit may take a while. We have tested Hero Lab with the latest beta of OSX and while it does still give a warning that the app is "not optimized for your system", it does still run correctly. We realize that Apple is trying to drop support for 32-bit applications and want to update the app as soon as possible, however this is a non-trivial task and it may be a while yet before we actually release a 64-bit version.
DaveM is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Tekwych

Old July 9th, 2018, 07:32 PM
The Apple roadmap is hard cut off fall 2020 with a chance to move forward to fall 2019 depending on discussion at WWDC 2019
Tekwych is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
benuker

Old September 20th, 2018, 08:00 PM
Mojave release is approaching.
We need an OFFICIAL RESPONSE to this thread, thank you.
Lone Wolf Development, please tell us!!!!!!
benuker is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old September 20th, 2018, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by benuker View Post
Mojave release is approaching.
We need an OFFICIAL RESPONSE to this thread, thank you.
You got one, two posts above yours:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
We absolutely plan on continuing support for the Mac, however porting to 64-bit may take a while.
Mac OS X 10.14 (Mojave) will still run 32-bit applications, so they have time.

Parody is offline   #20 Reply With Quote