Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

kbs666

Old February 2nd, 2017, 12:17 PM
You really want to know about my calendar system?
There's the solar calendar most people use.
12 30 day months with a 5 day new year holiday.

There are 3 lunar calendars (3 moons) important to spell casters
Not alignment based but oriented towards spontaneous versus memorized casters with the third moon governing hybrid casters. This is sort of based off Dragonlance but only sort of, the moons all have their own orbital period.

The elves, dwarves, dragons and multiple human cultures each have their own calendars which all matter to the back story of the campaign as well.

I think at last count my spreadsheet for my campaigns calendar system had 15 different dating systems and 9 different calendars.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old February 2nd, 2017, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Printing and exporting coincided with changes to html and how the Market is being implemented. This was released "early". I've noticed fewer pitchforks and torches lately so this was probably a good thing.
As one of the primary "pitchforkers" about printing, no it's not really a good thing.

I've just mostly given up hoping that this program will do what basic things I want from it in any sort of timeframe that will make me care.

I had a tiny glimmer of hope looking at the XML, but then I saw the process involved in outputting a couple of topics and the amount of effort required to make the resulting data at all useable and I threw in the towel.

I keep reading the forums here every once and a while, but I mostly consider this lost time and money.

Last edited by MaxSupernova; February 2nd, 2017 at 03:13 PM.
MaxSupernova is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 2nd, 2017, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSupernova View Post
As one of the primary "pitchforkers" about printing, no it's not really a good thing.

I've just mostly given up hoping that this program will do what basic things I want from it in any sort of timeframe that will make me care.

I had a tiny glimmer of hope looking at the XML, but then I saw the process involved in outputting a couple of topics and the amount of effort required to make the resulting data at all useable and I threw in the towel.

I keep reading the forums here every once and a while, but I mostly consider this lost time and money.
You wanted printing. You got printing! It was never going to be simple to print due to the way the program works and the coming CM. What's your beef now?

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old February 2nd, 2017, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSupernova View Post

This issue is kind of a double-edged sword. If they had JUST added a print feature, then we would have JUST had a print feature. It would have been easier to use, but limited to that scope.

With XML, they gave the community to the ability to transform and adapt the data. It's more effort, but there's also a community here with people who are able expend that effort.

There's a script to import from Obsidian Portal, which I'm sure many people will find useful. There's my script that transforms into HTML which not only allows for printing, but for web publishing.

As one of the first (if not THE first) pitchforker about printing, I'm pretty happy right now, but I understand having other frustrations. In what other manner would you like the data to be usable? Maybe I, or someone else, can help.

If you'd rather, feel free to send me a PM or an email.
EightBitz is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old February 2nd, 2017, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
Out of curiosity, those of you who want custom calendars, how do you customize them? Do you keep basically keep the same calendar format, and rename the months or use a different offset?

Or do you restructure the whole thing? With months of different lengths than we use, and different year lengths?

What's the scoop?
My fantasy world has a year of 480 days and two moons with different cycles leading to a variety of solar, lunisolar and lunar calendars used in-game, several of them relevant to the back story and to spellcasting traditions.

On top of that, my science fantasy realm has planets with different year lengths (including seasons etc.) that somehow have to relate to the standard caldendar based on the homeworld (the fantasy world above)...

So, reading about the ability to set up custom calendars was my original motivation to invest into RealmWorks. And even though I love the program, I am anxiously awaiting the implementation of custom calendars.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn

Last edited by Greebo; February 3rd, 2017 at 12:00 AM.
Greebo is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old February 3rd, 2017, 04:33 AM
In order to claim fulfillment of the kickstarter promises, it is my understanding calendars will have to get done eventually?
Bidmaron is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 3rd, 2017, 04:34 AM
It's on the to do list.

As you can see from above though... implementing the calendar isn't black and white... there's some people around here that think about dates and moon patterns way more than I thought was normal in a game.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old February 3rd, 2017, 05:56 AM
I barely have to say anything anymore. People answer these things for me.

I don't know the whole deal, but I believe non-friendly UI plus some hooks into things that could be made more flexible are the barriers to calendars going live (well, and the time to fix those issues).

I know they're coming, and I'm cool with that. I still keep my title for a while longer.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Grey Mage

Old February 3rd, 2017, 11:14 AM
Chemlak,

I am with you. Sit back and be patient and it will get here.

Don't really understand people that constantly go back to things that were done (or not done) and/or said in the past. Doing so really doesn't change anything in a positive manner, so why bother unless they want to come right out and own the fact they are doing so to be negative?

Yes, this software started out with stated goals, several of which did not get met. It happened, get over it and move on. Or find things about the development you can be positive about. There are lots of them there. You just have to look.

Calendars are something that I was excited about from the beginning. Still am. I figure they will get here sooner or later. Then I get to start moving 25+ years of campaign history from binders and .txt files over. Now doesn't that sound like fun??

In parting, let me say this, for all of you people that do want calendars sooner rather than later, remember to highlight that desire when LWD does the next survey (which is after CM deployment IIRC)!
Grey Mage is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old February 3rd, 2017, 11:34 AM
I make the calendars based on completely different cultural concepts and understanding of the world. And then I base some plots around that.

Imagine elves (the type that lives for ever (or close enough not to make any difference)) - why should they even bother having calendars where the largest lump of time is one measly year?

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #20 Reply With Quote