Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Kendermage

Old February 24th, 2012, 06:53 AM
I broached this subject some time ago on the Savage Worlds forums. Here is Clint Black's answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint
If basing it off a "standard D&D setting," I wouldn't do it as a second Arcane Background.

The character already has the AB Edge, the effect is just gaining access to powers, activation, and trappings only allowed to another style under that Edge.

So it's a modification of an existing Edge, which is handled in Savage Worlds by a new and different Edge. I'd do it more like...

Dual Arcane Training
Requirements: Novice, Arcane Background (Magic, Miracles, or Psionics), Arcane Skills d6+

The character has access to a second type of Arcane Background from those listed in the requirements. For instance, if he has AB (Magic), he can choose Miracles or Psionics as his secondary choice.

He gains one power of the new type and activates it using the normal rules for that type of arcane power, but at a -1 penalty. He uses the same pool of Power Points (using one type of arcane power drains the ability to use the other equally), but powers for the secondary type cost +1 PP to activate as well.

Henceforth, when he takes the New Power Edge, he may choose to take a power from either arcane type, but must note which arcane activation applies.

Dual Arcane Mastery
Requirements: Veteran, Dual Arcane Training, Arcane Skills d10+

Powers for the secondary arcane type ignore the -1 penalty and no longer cost +1 PP to activate.
I'm not sure how you'd implement it on Hero Lab, but there it is.
Kendermage is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old December 8th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Has this been addressed yet, In my setting I have only one type of arcane background: Psionics, but there are several - lets call them devotions (Biokinesis, Electrokinesis, ESP, Psychodynamics, Telekinesis, Telepathy, Teleportation, Thermokinesis), they are all individual Arcane backgrounds and have their own powers to chose from. I would like after character creation if you have one of the backgrounds to be able to pick a second one as a secondary Devotion through an edge and no more. In my setting you can't pick any arcane background after character creation. Is there a way to do this or am I out of luck.
jbearwillis is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 9th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Unfortunately, this is a bit difficult in Hero Lab. There are a lot of things you need to keep track of for an Arcane Background, and Hero Lab only has one set of these variables created. To support a complete second Arcane Background would take a lot of work. It's a bit easier if they aren't completely separate AB's, say if the second AB only added more Powers to use. It all depends on how "separate" they really are.
CapedCrusader is online now   #13 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old December 9th, 2012, 02:47 PM
All I want is for them to allow the powers from the Second Arcane background lets say you take Psionics (Telepathy for your primary Arcane, and say you pick Biokinesis for your secondary. I want the Telepathy to be allowed to take powers from both of them and that's all, Nothing more - no special extra's etc.., Is there a way to do this.
jbearwillis is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old December 9th, 2012, 08:12 PM
OK, so you're creating your own Arcane Backgrounds for this, correct?

The easiest way would be to create a set of Edges that are the secondary versions of each of the custom backgrounds that just add Power Points and available Powers.
CapedCrusader is online now   #15 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old December 10th, 2012, 03:48 AM
I kind of figured that out but I can't seem to figure out how to get the edges to work and show the powers to be pick in the arcane window. How would I code them. an example would go along way in how this would work or are you saying to make Like say I have telekinesis make a second telekinesis with Telepathy powers added in.
jbearwillis is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old December 10th, 2012, 06:02 PM
I'll try to set one up, and see if I can make it work. I'll keep you posted.
CapedCrusader is online now   #17 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old December 11th, 2012, 12:49 PM
It seems to me you'd have to have a way to overwrite whatever the power/spell restrictions are that you'd normally set on a given AB from within a new Edge, presumably just to "uncheck" previously selected powers that were not allowed. I'm not sure how you would do that, mind you, but that seems to be the basics of what you would need to do within the parameters of how the SW setting in HL works.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old December 15th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Well I figured out what I need to do.Did a few test runs and it worked. It will take a little while for me to get it all together but I think it will be great when I'm done. Took me a week to figure it out but I'm on a roll. I'm so freaking happy that I got it to work the way I wanted it to. When I get Nightfall completed I will share it if any one wants it. It's a space setting that take place about 100 years after the dark night took place. Just a few alien races and about 4 sectors are where the setting takes place, with hyper-jump ability only capability of only a few sub-sectors before at a time. The area is set in an area of space that is very hard to get to so contact with more then the 4 sectors is almost impossible, because of not being able to plot a course into unknown space. that is just a basic outline of the setting.
jbearwillis is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old December 15th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Definitely would like to see it. Certainly for seeing how you worked around this problem for sure.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #20 Reply With Quote