Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Bob G

Old November 24th, 2017, 03:58 PM
Hi Everyone, I’m working on creating a custom class (the battle lord, from Libram Influxus Communis). This class has a custom ability available to them at 2nd level called Specialty, which allows them to select from four options. Each option offers different class specials at particular level intervals.

To create the infrastructure in the editor, I thought that the best way was to create the Specialty as a Custom Ability (allows the user to select from a list), and then set up the abilities as class specials.

The custom ability selections appear as expected, but the various class special abilities do not.

What do you think is causing the issue? I can clarify any follow up questions as needed.

Thanks as always for the gracious assistance!
Bob G is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old November 27th, 2017, 12:23 PM
Got to ask the simple question, have you bootstrapped the class abilities for each specialty to the Custom ability you made for that specialty?
Aaron is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Bob G

Old November 27th, 2017, 07:59 PM
Hi Aaron! Yes, I did make sure that each class ability was bootstrapped to the custom ability category.

Here's some specifics to make things clearer, hopefully:

The Battle Lord chooses a specialty at 2nd level. For examples sake, let's say they choose "Artillerist" (ID BLoSpecArt). At 2nd level, the Artillerist specialty grants Amateur Gunslinger as a bonus feat. So, I created a class special called BLoArtil1, used the wizard to grant it the Amateur Gunslinger bonus feat, and bootstrapped it to the custom ability BLoSpecArt. But when I select the Artillery specialty in HL, the bonus feat does not appear.

Can you tell what I'm doing wrong?
Bob G is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old November 27th, 2017, 10:45 PM
Well, if you copied an existing class special which also grants a specific bonus feat and just changed the bootstrapped feat it is possible there was a bootstrap condition you carried over. If you like, you can e-mail me a copy of the .user file and I can take a look. My e-mail address is my forum name at wolflair dot com.
Aaron is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Bob G

Old November 28th, 2017, 02:53 PM
Email sent with dot user file. Thank you very much for the help.
Bob G is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old November 28th, 2017, 03:42 PM
You're bootstrapping things backwards, is the problem. Bootstraps are one directional. If A bootstraps B, then whenever A is present B will too. But just because B is present does not mean A is as well.

The custom specials like cBLoSpeArt are the ones the user chooses to add to the character, so those are the ones which should be doing the bootstrapping.

Seperate question, why did you create a new version of Amateur Gunslinger? Was there some change to it you needed that couldn't be accomplished from the outside?

Bootstrap the class specials to the custom special, so that when y
Aaron is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Bob G

Old November 28th, 2017, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Your bootstrapping things backwards, is the problem. Bootstraps are one directional. If A bootstraps B, then whenever A is present B will too. But just because B is present does not mean A is as well.

The custom specials like cBLoSpeArt are the ones the user chooses to add to the character, so those are the ones which should be doing the bootstrapping.

Seperate question, why did you create a new version of Amateur Gunslinger? Was there some change to it you needed that couldn't be accomplished from the outside?

Bootstrap the class specials to the custom special, so that when y
Hi Aaron, I had to create a separate version of Amateur Gunslinger because the Battle Lord version uses Intelligence instead of Wisdom for calculation of grit.

Thank you again for your help! You and all the members of the HL community are awesome!
Bob G is offline   #7 Reply With Quote