Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

AWizardInDallas

Send a message via AIM to AWizardInDallas Send a message via MSN to AWizardInDallas Send a message via Yahoo to AWizardInDallas Send a message via Skype™ to AWizardInDallas

Old October 28th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I would like to be able to store the following information with each character in free form text fields:

+ Campaign: The name of the campaign, game world or milleu for which the character was created.
+ Company: The name of an adventuring company or party to which the character belongs, if any. It would be really cool if characters could be loaded as a group from the company name, but isn't necessary.
+ Created: A date stamp indicating the real-world date when the character was created.
+ Birthdate: The character's game-world birthdate.
+ Origin: The home country and/or city from which the character comes as a matter of background.
+ Status: The character's status: Active, Inactive, Deceased, Missing in Action, Work in Progress and Reitred.

I would suggest adding these to the personal tab.
AWizardInDallas is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
huntercc

Old October 28th, 2008, 01:34 PM
There is already a "Background details" text box on each character sheet, on the "Personal" tab. You should easily be able to keep all this info in there.
huntercc is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
AWizardInDallas

Send a message via AIM to AWizardInDallas Send a message via MSN to AWizardInDallas Send a message via Yahoo to AWizardInDallas Send a message via Skype™ to AWizardInDallas

Old October 29th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Yes, I'm of course aware of that. I would prefer to have individual fields.

AWizardInDallas
AWizardInDallas is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
joaquin83

Old November 5th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Wizard,

I am not surprized that there has been no additional reaction to your post... by anyone. In my opinion, there was a certain tone of sarcasm? superiority? something in your last message that would have rubbed an angel wrong, and made them not want to talk with you anymore. Huntercc was just trying to help.

Mac
joaquin83 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AWizardInDallas

Old November 5th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquin83
Wizard,

I am not surprized that there has been no additional reaction to your post... by anyone. In my opinion, there was a certain tone of sarcasm? superiority? something in your last message that would have rubbed an angel wrong, and made them not want to talk with you anymore. Huntercc was just trying to help.

Mac
I have no earthly idea what you could be referring to at all. There is no tone in text.
AWizardInDallas is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 9th, 2008, 04:48 PM
At 10:21 AM 11/5/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
I have no earthly idea what you could be referring to at all. There is no tone in text.
On that point, you are definitely mistaken. There is a significant amount of "tone" in text communications. You may think of it as "attitude" or some other term, but it's a big factor in written communication. Simply by changing a few minor words in a post, I can change my tone from sincere to snarky to light-hearted to angry. As a result, the way in which I respond to a post is something that I typically pay careful attention to, lest someone interpret my comments in a way I did not intend.

I recommend you take a few minutes to read through assorted posts on any public forum, and you'll definitely see quite a few that contain "tone" (or "attitude"). You'll also see that the responses to many of those posts is more charged than responses to those without attitude.

Just something to consider....
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 9th, 2008, 04:52 PM
At 11:20 AM 10/29/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
The problem is that everyone out there probably has a slightly different idea of what the exact individual fields should be. They will also have different opinions on where those fields should be placed on the screen and within the character sheet. Coming up with something that will appeal to everyone is virtually impossible, and it requires a fair amount of work. So a few broader fields where users can enter whatever they want is a compromise for now. Full user-customization is something we're working towards, but it requires a lot of work and we're a tiny company, so it's not something we can accomplish as quickly as we'd like.
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
AWizardInDallas

Old November 10th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob
At 10:21 AM 11/5/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
I recommend you take a few minutes to read through assorted posts on any public forum, and you'll definitely see quite a few that contain "tone" (or "attitude"). You'll also see that the responses to many of those posts is more charged than responses to those without attitude.

Just something to consider....
Thanks, but I've been on plenty of public forums. I know what my intent was; joaquin83 does not know me and made a pretty heafty assumption that my rather minimal (word wise) post was meant as some sort of slam or flame and took it upon himself to moderate where none was needed. Anyway I'm keen to talk about Hero Lab not forum moderation so I'm dropping it.
AWizardInDallas is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
AWizardInDallas

Old November 10th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob
At 11:20 AM 10/29/2008, you wrote:
Quote:
The problem is that everyone out there probably has a slightly different idea of what the exact individual fields should be. They will also have different opinions on where those fields should be placed on the screen and within the character sheet. Coming up with something that will appeal to everyone is virtually impossible, and it requires a fair amount of work. So a few broader fields where users can enter whatever they want is a compromise for now. Full user-customization is something we're working towards, but it requires a lot of work and we're a tiny company, so it's not something we can accomplish as quickly as we'd like.
That's cool. I'd rather see you guys work on some of the bigger fish anyway. A few broader fields would actually work just fine.
AWizardInDallas is offline   #9 Reply With Quote