Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

bkcurley

Old November 17th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I have installed the latest version and all updates on a 64-bit Vista SP1 system. I've installed the program into the following directory: "c:\users\brian\HeroLab"

I want to use the Alternate Save Folder setting to have portfolios saved in my documents directory (c:\users\brian\documents). But when I double-click on "Up One Level" until I shows the current directory as c:\users\brian, I do not see the Documents folder. In fact I don't see any of the system created folders (i.e. Downloads, Music, Saved Games, Videos, etc).

When I use the normal "Save Portfolio" dialog, I can navigate to the Documents folder normally.

The Alternate Save Folder dialog also won't allow me to manually enter the path to the Documents folder.

Is it possible to manually edit one of the XML files and force the path that way?

Other suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian Curley
bkcurley is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 23rd, 2009, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcurley View Post
I purchased the supplemental package to get support for the options in the Masterminds Manual, but I see that enabling the Tactical Movement option in Chapter 8 isn't listed. Is this in the works, simply not feasible, or what?

Thanks.
There are so many optional rules in the Masterminds Manual that I usually wait for people to ask before implementing them. I'll see if I can get this into the next update.
Colen is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 23rd, 2009, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcurley View Post
I have installed the latest version and all updates on a 64-bit Vista SP1 system. I've installed the program into the following directory: "c:\users\brian\HeroLab"

I want to use the Alternate Save Folder setting to have portfolios saved in my documents directory (c:\users\brian\documents). But when I double-click on "Up One Level" until I shows the current directory as c:\users\brian, I do not see the Documents folder. In fact I don't see any of the system created folders (i.e. Downloads, Music, Saved Games, Videos, etc).

When I use the normal "Save Portfolio" dialog, I can navigate to the Documents folder normally.

The Alternate Save Folder dialog also won't allow me to manually enter the path to the Documents folder.

Is it possible to manually edit one of the XML files and force the path that way?

Other suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian Curley
I'm not sure why you can't navigate to that folder; it might be a bug in Hero Lab, I'll have to investigate it.

To solve your problem, save a file manually in the folder you want to keep your files in. Then try to select an alternate save folder - unless you selected one before, it should start off in the last folder you saved / opened something from.

Alternatively, if you keep selecting "Up one level" in the "Select Alternate Save Folder" dialog, you should eventually get to the top level, where you can choose "My Documents" to save stuff in - this should be the directory you want.

Hope this helps,
Colen is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 8th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Hi there,

Sadly I have to report a glitch with the printout. When you use the 'Device as Equipment' option when purchasing Equipment it does the calculations just fine but on the sheet it lists the cost paid as PP not EP.

Keep up the good work, hope this is in time to make it into the next update,
Nige Fogg
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old December 13th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Hello again.

Last Saturday's game exposed a problem with Arrays.

One of the players brought in a new character. We're playing at PL 11 and mid-combat he uses a power from an array & all is cool until he's asked "what is it ranked at?" by the GM.

Eyebrows shoot up and much murmmuring around the table as folks wonder how he could afford that. Turns out it was "legal" according to the software because it allowed him to buy the Array up to rank 23, here, let me say that again, rank 23 in a PL 11 game, so he had 46 points to spend in that slot for a rank 9 (5/rank) power.

So what I'm saying is, Hero Lab needs to also throw a flag on the play when the Array power structure exceeds PL limit in addition to making sure the slots don't exceed PL.

Yes, I went back and checked post-game on my copy of the software and it will let me crank the Array beyond PL without notifying me that's a no-no.

Hope this and my previous post aren't too late for the next update.

Keep up the good work,
Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; December 13th, 2009 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Showing the math. ;-)
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
Woodclaw

Old December 14th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer View Post
Hello again.

Last Saturday's game exposed a problem with Arrays.

One of the players brought in a new character. We're playing at PL 11 and mid-combat he uses a power from an array & all is cool until he's asked "what is it ranked at?" by the GM.

Eyebrows shoot up and much murmmuring around the table as folks wonder how he could afford that. Turns out it was "legal" according to the software because it allowed him to buy the Array up to rank 23, here, let me say that again, rank 23 in a PL 11 game, so he had 46 points to spend in that slot for a rank 9 (5/rank) power.

So what I'm saying is, Hero Lab needs to also throw a flag on the play when the Array power structure exceeds PL limit in addition to making sure the slots don't exceed PL.

Yes, I went back and checked post-game on my copy of the software and it will let me crank the Array beyond PL without notifying me that's a no-no.

Hope this and my previous post aren't too late for the next update.

Keep up the good work,
Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer
Maybe it's just me, but based on my knowledge of the rules the array power is not caped since it isn't an attack, defense or saving throw power, it's justa container. All the powers withint the array must be bought accoring to the caps, but not the array as a whole.

It's GM job to ensure these rules aren't abused.
Woodclaw is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old December 14th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodclaw View Post
Maybe it's just me, but based on my knowledge of the rules the array power is not caped since it isn't an attack, defense or saving throw power, it's justa container. All the powers withint the array must be bought accoring to the caps, but not the array as a whole.

It's GM job to ensure these rules aren't abused.
Yes, the GM called a halt to using that power specifically and wanted a closer look at other slot powers in that array once this came to light.

After consulting U.P. page 108 and onward I see that there isn't an in-print limit. Perhaps Green Ronin should be notified. As it says about a Container, it's all about equivelance.

Since the Array generates the power power available to spend it should be capped. The slot was "legal" because the software "saw" rank 9 but didn't take into consideration those were 45 points spent on that power. That's a heck of an advantage you get by sneaking under the wire.

I mean, you're getting a heck of a discount as it is by having a slot power valued at 22 power points (presuming a rank 11 array generating 22 pp for slots) and only playing 1 Power Point for it thanks to the power structure. Being "forced" to keep a 5/rank power at rank 4 because you "only" have 22 pp to "spend" in that slot seems perfectly reasonable to me.

FYI: our GM considers the very existence of Arrays to be an unfair advantage for us but has conceeded to allow them provided the array only has 5 or fewer slots. Hence you can see why the rest of us called foul on a rank 9, 45 pp power while the rest of us stayed within the boundary of 22 pp.

Also for the record, I do believe it was an innocent mistake by the player who simply thought, "hey, the software lets me get away with it so it must be legal."

Plus the printout doesn't show how many pps have been spent on each slot so a quick glance at the power on the sheet wouldn't have alerted him or the GM.

I do concede that he should've seen the Array 23 & points spent.

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; December 14th, 2009 at 10:04 AM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old December 14th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Quote:
After consulting U.P. page 108 and onward I see that there isn't an in-print limit. Perhaps Green Ronin should be notified. As it says about a Container, it's all about equivelance.

Since the Array generates the power power available to spend it should be capped. The slot was "legal" because the software "saw" rank 9 but didn't take into consideration those were 45 points spent on that power. That's a heck of an advantage you get by sneaking under the wire.
Not entirely sure what you're getting at here. It sounds like it's legal because the effect in consideration was indeed a rank 9 power that happens to have cost 45 pp. The player paid the cost to get those extras on their power and it hasn't hit caps, presumably (not even accounting for that a power that doesn't force a save isn't capped except by GM decision). (worth noting too that the use of an Array structure instead of just a base power with APs is a slightly artificial thing added in UP to simplify things like adding drawbacks which restrict switch powers in the array).

Quote:
I mean, you're getting a heck of a discount as it is by having a slot power valued at 22 power points (presuming a rank 11 array generating 22 pp for slots) and only playing 1 Power Point for it thanks to the power structure. Being "forced" to keep a 5/rank power at rank 4 because you "only" have 22 pp to "spend" in that slot seems perfectly reasonable to me.
Indeed, if the base power of your array is only 22 pp, you should only be able to spend 22 pp on alternate powers. That is reasonable. But, well, it sounds like the base power is 45 pp, which is not 22 pp. I'm not following your analogy. If you're referring to the idea that if you have a sufficiently expensive base power, you can get APs that draw from the same pool, yes it is a nice cost savings, something almost necessary if you want a character with more than a single attack and a single defense. The drawbacks have been discussed at length on the Atomic Think Tank, but basically it comes down to a) you can only have one power on at a time (outside of Dynamic Arrays which have their own costs), b) if one power is nullified, they all are, and c) it still costs you 1 pp per AP which means you still have to economize sometimes.

Quote:
FYI: our GM considers the very existence of Arrays to be an unfair advantage for us but has conceeded to allow them provided the array only has 5 or fewer slots. Hence you can see why the rest of us called foul on a rank 9, 45 pp power while the rest of us stayed within the boundary of 22 pp.

Also for the record, I do believe it was an innocent mistake by the player who simply thought, "hey, the software lets me get away with it so it must be legal."
I'm still a bit confused about this "boundary of 22 pp". Since the power was legal, unless he had more than 5 powers in his array, I don't see where he went wrong at all. I mean, it's obvious that that particular base power had a lot of extras layered onto it, right?

Quote:
Plus the printout doesn't show how many pps have been spent on each slot so a quick glance at the power on the sheet wouldn't have alerted him or the GM.

I do concede that he should've seen the Array 23 & points spent.
This actually might be a nice idea, showing the number of PP on the sheet so that quick math can be done at the table for Power Stunts ("My Telekinetic Perception Penetrating Selective Area Blast (TPPAB for short) 9 cost me 45 pp. I need to get from here to China really quick, so I'm going to AP Burst Area Burrowing 22 to dig a tunnel for the team from here to China by battering my way straight through." "*shocked silence* Are you... certain you want to dig a straight line through? Is everyone OK with this?" General assent by teammates who think this is terribly clever. "Alright... roll a DC 35 Damage check for going through the molton core of the earth, and then a DC 30 Damage check for the crushing influx of the Indian ocean on the other side. Oh, and the Earth is tearing itself apart through your somewhat misguided use of brute force to go from Point A to Point B. Oh, and you're fatigued starting in your next round.")

^_^ Ok, extreme case, but I need my amusements.
Duggan is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old December 14th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Okay, let me try to clarify.

Our GM would truly wish we had to pay through the nose & thus wishes Arrays never existed so we'd have to buy all powers straight up.

Now, since he's not a tyrannical despot, well not too much of one, he has allowed Arrays that have a default power and 4 other slots.

He is okay with a Rank 11 Array which provides 22 pp to play with in each slot. He was unaware that Hero Lab would let someone crank it up to Rank 23 in order to get 46 pp in order to afford a Rank 9 (at 5/rank) power in a slot. Yes it is legal but it caused a whole lot of heartache at the game table & afterwards. The player has now cranked his Array down to 11 and spent his points elsewhere. He is awaiting GM's, who I am sure is sitting there with a calculator double-checking the math, approval.

Thus, perhaps a House Rule selector button under Configure Hero that says Array Power Structure is capped at PL, at 2xPL, and/or 3xPL to give some control over this situation in the future. Those who think it's fine for there to be no upper limit to the rank of the Array Power Structure itself will never check any of those boxes. Making it the same as all the other optional settings.

FYI, he'd hate the burrow through the planet idea. He already thinks M&M is way too generous with speed & ranges & such. He doesn't like my postulation that Green Ronin wants us to be The Fantastic Four vs Galactus not mediocre heroes who would require the 2 lvl boost of Extra Effort to shoot a laser from one side of a football stadium to another.

Only seeking to have a level playing field where all players are effectively equal in power / 'pecking order' (I'm sure you know what I mean by that) no matter how their powers are configured,

Nigel Fogg, the Wayfarer

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; December 15th, 2009 at 03:49 PM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
Woodclaw

Old December 15th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Well, given the fact that there are some exaple powers on UP that are 5pp/rank and that all the main combat powers are PL capped anyway, I think that the problem is more a matter of revising the single AP rather tahn the array power itself.
Woodclaw is offline   #40 Reply With Quote