Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old October 12th, 2015, 06:52 PM
One of the minor enhancements in the new release has me confused:

Quote:
The current topic shown within the content pane can now be centered upon within the navigation pane via the “Show in Current Navigation” choice on the topic Options menu. This option is tied to the <ctrl+=> hotkey.
I was thinking that this would find where the current article is listed in the navigation pane on the right. But selecting this from the topic/article options menu or using the hot key don't appear to do anything.

I'm sure I'm misunderstanding what this is supposed to do. Could someone explain it to me? I hate not understanding features

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 12th, 2015, 08:17 PM
I think the confusion here centers on terminology. The "navigation pane" is the leftmost pane that shows all the topics in your realm. The "transitions pane" is the rightmost one with all the links and whatnot.

Let's say you have hundreds of topics in your realm. That's a lot to wade through in the navigation pane on the left. What the new feature does is center the navigation pane on the topic you're currently viewing within the central "content pane". If you just clicked on the topic within the navigation pane to view it, nothing needs to be done. However, if you just followed a link from Fred to Walter, odds are that the navigation pane won't be centered on Walter.

Hope that helps!
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old October 13th, 2015, 12:08 AM
This doesn't work for me.

I can open a topic, click a link and go to a new topic that I would have to scroll a ways to find in the navigation pane. Using CNTRL+= doesn't center on the newly displayed topic in the navigation pane.

I was thinking that some other program might also be using this combination and that might cause issues, but even when I select "Show in Current Navigation" from the Content Panes Options, it doesn't work for me.

This really doesn't affect my use of the software, but it may be a bug. I've submitted a bug report.

MNBlockHead is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old October 14th, 2015, 05:39 AM
I have the same experience as MNBlockHead.

Apart from the problem with short cuts using non-alphanumeric signs and a non-english keyboard... (Now, where is that =-sign located... obviously not above the 0 where it should be...)

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old October 14th, 2015, 05:46 AM
Oooh. Do I need a numeric keypad? The Lenovo x230 I'm using does not have a number keypad. Not even a soft-key one. This is one of my biggest complaints with this laptop. It is annoying not being able to easily enter unicode characters by their ALT+[number] shortcuts. I would think, however, that by how it is described in the release notes that it is the plain old standard "=" sign on. On my keyboard it is between the "-" and [Backspace] keys on the number row.

But CTRL+= does nothing in RealmWorks for me.

MNBlockHead is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old October 14th, 2015, 10:38 AM
I don't think you need a numeric keypad. My 0 at the top row (above O and P) writes an = when shifted. And the position you mentions (and which I found after looking the layout of English keyboards up) does not do anything either.

The option in the drop down menu doesn't do anything for me either...

So, that hotkey probably unintentionally got killed off by either a new bug or a new feature - coding is so much fun :-)

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old October 15th, 2015, 02:01 AM
From discussion: try collapsing the entire hierarchy (CTRL+-, I think) and then CTRL+=.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old October 15th, 2015, 08:47 AM
Steps taken:

Settings for tests 1 and 2:
  • Show alternate names: CHECKED
  • Show prefix before name when available: CHECKED
  • Sort Topics: ALPHABETICALLY
  • Group similar types of topics: CHECKED
  • Empty group visibility: SHOW ALWAYS
  • Show containing topic hierarchy: CHECKED

TEST 1, based on Chemlak's suggestion (hierarchy collapsed):
  1. Launch RW
  2. Log into RW
  3. Open my realm
  4. Ensure that the World Almanac is selected
  5. Click on a topic near the top of the topics list in the navigation pane
  6. Click on a link in that topic that brings me to a topic that is much lower in the list in the navigation pane
  7. Use the shortcut CTRL+- , which collapses the containers but not the groups.
  8. Use the shortcut CTRL+=, which does nothing that I can discern.

Test 2 (test with hierarchy expanded):

Starting from where I left off in test one:
  1. Expand entire hierarchy, using the World Almanac Options (F6) menu item.
  2. Click on a topic near the top of the topics list in the navigation pane
  3. Click on a link in that topic that brings me to a topic that is much lower in the list in the navigation pane
  4. Use the shortcut CTRL+=, which does nothing that I can discern.

TEST 3

Settings for test 3:
  • Show alternate names: NOT CHECKED
  • Show prefix before name when available: NOT CHECKED
  • Group similar types of topics: NOT AVAILABLE
  • Empty group visibility: NOT CHECKED
  • Show containing topic hierarchy: NOT CHECKED

Because show containing topic hierarchy was not checked, expanding or collapsing the hierarchy was not applicable or available as an option. CTRL+= still does nothing.

B]Settings for test 4: [/B]
  • Show alternate names: NOT CHECKED
  • Show prefix before name when available: NOT CHECKED
  • Group similar types of topics: NOT AVAILABLE
  • Empty group visibility: NOT CHECKED
  • Show containing topic hierarchy: CHECKED

I re-ran tests 1 and 2 with the above settings for test 4. Still, CTRL+= does nothing.

At this point I stopped. If there is any other configuration I need for this feature to work, it really wouldn't be useful to me. If someone HAS used this shortcut and if it DID do something, please explain your settings and what it did. Either I'm being incredibly thick or there is something about my system that is interfering with this feature.

It is not a feature I particularly care that much for. I suppose it would be helpful, but I don't see my self needing it much. BUT it drives me crazy that it is not working for me while apparently it works for most other users.

MNBlockHead is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 16th, 2015, 07:53 PM
Aspects of this bug have been fixed in the version that we just released. There are still a few cases where it doesn't work correctly, though. We'll be addressing those in a future update.
rob is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old October 16th, 2015, 10:42 PM
After tonight's update, it works!

MNBlockHead is offline   #10 Reply With Quote