Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Fuzzy

Old September 24th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
If Paizo have done very well out of the license, then why wasn't Wizards also able to do well from it?
community respect.
Fuzzy is offline   #51 Reply With Quote
Warunsun

Old October 4th, 2014, 09:58 AM
I would love to see 5E available for HeroLab if it becomes possible.

My group has played every version of AD&D from 1e to 4e and has also played some retro-games like Castles & Crusades. I am definitely interested in a supported 5E module from HeroLab. I am sure we will try D&D fifth edition at some point after the Dungeon Master's Guide premieres. We are currently using Castles & Crusades rules and enjoying them but some of our group will dig a change I think.
Warunsun is offline   #52 Reply With Quote
MagicSN

Old October 7th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
We're waiting to find out more about Wizards' plan for licensing D&D5 - when we do, we'll be able to provide more clarity here. Until then, it's possible that users could put together they're own data files for D&D5 using the Hero Lab authoring kit, but unfortunately we'll be unable to.
I already did this (writing my own data files). Actually my version of the D&D Next support for Herolab is nearly finished (at the state of the printed D&D 5e Manual). The issue is that there is no licence (and I do not want to get into legal trouble!)

Also, I did not start off with the Authoring Kit, but with the D&D 4e HeroLab implementation.

*IF* Wizards of the Coast would ever allow Herolab for D&D 5e, what is your (Lone Wolf)'s point on a release on something based on the 4e code? (I actually would be willing to give my code to Lone Wolf if they want to release it). Though, be warned, it is pretty messy, as it was not planned as a "general" release. But it supports everything (Multiclass and special feats to get extra powers included). Not 100% done yet, maybe 90% done (for example the Bard is still missing). Even this Combat Console and Encounter Builder Stuff working (but no monsters in it, currently).
MagicSN is offline   #53 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 8th, 2014, 01:15 PM
We released the 4e data files to the public domain when we released them years ago, so you're free to do whatever you want with them, whether that's adapt them for other game systems or otherwise. Hope this helps!
Colen is offline   #54 Reply With Quote
Dervish

Old October 10th, 2014, 12:49 AM
Why can't we make a basic dataset that instead of having complete tooltips/definitions instead has page numbers corresponding to the relevant handbook lke you are citing a source.... its a little clumsy but its better than nothing
Dervish is offline   #55 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 10th, 2014, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervish View Post
Why can't we make a basic dataset that instead of having complete tooltips/definitions instead has page numbers corresponding to the relevant handbook lke you are citing a source.... its a little clumsy but its better than nothing
Because at that point why not just use handwritten character sheets with page references? You're talking about many hours of coding to do something that would take a few moments of time to do by hand. It boils down to work vs. reward. If it's going to faster to do it by hand the need for software becomes questionable. For Army Builder this is done for 40K purposes, but the software is still faster at building an army roster than it would be writing by hand. 5e character sheets are simple to fill out by hand, so is it worth the work to make the software?

Colen is saying you can do this... but the bulk of the work falls into whoever's hands decide to do it. Personally I think it is easier to handle 5e on pen and paper right now.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #56 Reply With Quote
MagicSN

Old October 13th, 2014, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
We released the 4e data files to the public domain when we released them years ago, so you're free to do whatever you want with them, whether that's adapt them for other game systems or otherwise. Hope this helps!
Thx, Colen! This helps indeed.

Now if only WotC would be as helpful as you guys...

BTW: If you ever manage to get a license for Hero Lab D&D Next feel free to contact me to get the files of what I already did.

And some more questions:

1. With that iPad version of HeroLab is it also possible to install custom Conversions as for the PC version, or is it Pathfinder-only? (don't have an iPad myselves)

2. Is it anyhow easily possible to change the look (Background graphics and stuff) into the same one of the pathfinder hero lab (I think that one looks better!) ? If yes, how (I noticed some of the bmp used are different filenames)

3. Is there anyone for tricky implementation questions and/or suggestions for future Hero Lab versions?

Best regards,
MagicSN
MagicSN is offline   #57 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 12th, 2014, 01:07 AM
I am returning to role playing after almost 25 years. In the past I played up thorough AD&D. Never played 2nd, 3rd, or 4th edition. I moved back to the States and am putting together a group of some old friends and have been building a campaign for a D&D 5th ed. I don't want to get into a debate over better systems/companies, because I'm just not informed or interested enough. I've made significant investments of time and money into 5th ed and like the system.

From reading these comments, it seems like Hero Labs would be useless to me. I am close to buying Realm Works, switching over from Masterplan, which is what I've started to use to build my campaign. But one of my main areas of pain is creating large numbers of NPCs. It seems like Lone Wolf's tools are not going to help much with this if I'm playing 5th ed. Is that correct?

So, if Hero Works is not useful for me, then is Realm Works? One thing I hate about Masterplan is that I can't even manually enter in creature or NPC stat blocks because the fields don't work well for 5th ed. Even the Difficulty Class levels for skill-test encounters are not customizable.

Realm Works does not offer a trial or a money-back guarantee and their videos, screen shots, FAQs, etc. do not answer my questions. Without hero works, can I enter encounters and customize states? Can I at least cut and paste this stuff in? Can I MANUALLY enter NPCs into Hero Labs with custom fields so that I can link to them from Realm Works?
MNBlockHead is offline   #58 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old December 16th, 2014, 02:34 AM
Unlike Hero Lab, Realm Works is not really tied to any game system, or even genre. So, for general campaign and world management, it will work just as well with DnD 5e as with any other system.

Regarding Hero Lab for your NPC's, there's not much use. Hero Lab won't have any of the options or game rules, so most the information would not be accurate or even relevant. You'd be just as well off entering NPC statblocks as text in Realm Works directly.
Fuzzy is offline   #59 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 16th, 2014, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Unlike Hero Lab, Realm Works is not really tied to any game system, or even genre. So, for general campaign and world management, it will work just as well with DnD 5e as with any other system.

Regarding Hero Lab for your NPC's, there's not much use. Hero Lab won't have any of the options or game rules, so most the information would not be accurate or even relevant. You'd be just as well off entering NPC statblocks as text in Realm Works directly.
Thanks. That's exactly what I've ended up doing. After spending a few days really familiarizing myself with Realm Works and discussing setup approaches on this discussion board, I've really come to appreciate RW's power and flexability.

For stat blocks, I just create some "template" monsters/npcs and also use a text expander (Phrase Express) to make that easier. Phrase Express has some powerful macro functionality so I'm looking into having it help with some of the math and creating some picklists to help speed up entering information for encounters and scenes.

Anyway, for any D&D 5th ed. players, I would say RW is a great choice (ESPECIALLY if you play other systems as well, since RW is game neutral), but that I wouldn't bother with HeroLabs unless you also play one or more of the other systems that it supports.
MNBlockHead is offline   #60 Reply With Quote