Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

charlieluce

Old August 17th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Is it too early to start talking about what sort of House Rule check boxes we would like to see in the M&M 3e data set? Yeah, yeah, I know there's a screaming horde of "Use 2e Impervious", but for Hero Lab purposes that's just a flavor text change (unless it's also supposed to flag a violation if Impervious exceeds PL, which is also a common suggestion).

Anyway, that's what this thread is for.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds

Last edited by charlieluce; September 11th, 2010 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Silly Presence suggestion removed
charlieluce is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Captain Canuck

Old August 19th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I noticed that there is already a house rule box for changing the cost of skills. I would like to see this divided into combat (close combat/ranged combat) and everything else.

Ideally, since there are only 16 skills, it would be pretty cool to differentiate costs for any skill we want (technology/investigate vs. expertise, anyone?).
Captain Canuck is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Shadowchaser

Old August 19th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
I noticed that there is already a house rule box for changing the cost of skills. I would like to see this divided into combat (close combat/ranged combat) and everything else.

Ideally, since there are only 16 skills, it would be pretty cool to differentiate costs for any skill we want (technology/investigate vs. expertise, anyone?).
You can use the rules editor to adjust the costs of skills and create new ones. I created a new Presence skill called "Occultist" which, in my game, will help make Presence a more useful stat.
Shadowchaser is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old August 20th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Could you please provide details of your Occultist skill? Perhaps in a private message if not in the forums?
SeeleyOne is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old August 20th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Quote:

I looked at the various proposals for changing skill costs, and after I ran the numbers I concluded that making Skills cheaper just screwed up Attribute costs even more than they already were, so being unwilling to reconstruct the entire skill list I decided that if it looked like it was going to be a problem in my games I'd toss the players a few more starting points and call it good.

Presence, though, is a non-starter for me.

Currently Playing:
charlieluce is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old August 24th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Speaking of Skills, I'd also like the option to have Expertise that is not based on Intellect; since I'm preparing a Mecha & Manga/fantasy type game, Awareness, Dexterity, and Presence will all be valid bases for an Expertise.

EDIT: Now included! Yay!

Currently Playing:

Last edited by charlieluce; September 11th, 2010 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Request granted, Thanks.
charlieluce is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Shadowchaser

Old August 25th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeleyOne View Post
Could you please provide details of your Occultist skill? Perhaps in a private message if not in the forums?
Terribly sorry I didn't reply to this earlier. It's been a crazy week.

My Occultist Skill is pretty much lifted from the old DC Heroes game. It has the following uses/subskills:

Create Artifact (Needs Advantage), Identify Artifact, Occult Knowledge, Ritual Magic(Needs Advantage), and Premonition

I'm still play testing these in game, but essentially I use the skill in place of Expertise (Magic) for Artificing and Ritualism. Additionally, even someone without the Ritualist advantage can use this skill to try and gain premonitions of the future, and investigate magical evidence.

I tend to think of Presence as being the "Magical" stat, mainly because it's all about your character's sense of self, his or her force of personality. Kinda goes back to how I think of magic in the DC universe, based on a quote whose origins escape me at the moment: "Science is learning to speak about the universe in words everyone can understand, Magic is learning to speak to the universe in words it cannot ignore."
Shadowchaser is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Shadowchaser

Old August 25th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieluce View Post
Speaking of Skills, I'd also like the option to have Expertise that is not based on Intellect; since I'm preparing a Mecha & Manga/fantasy type game, Awareness, Dexterity, and Presence will all be valid bases for an Expertise.
I'm sure once they've updated the software, we'll get a drop-down/selectable Ability association for Expertise, since it's obviously meant to be the 'catchall' skill.

One thing I've noticed in the description of Expertise (and it should probably apply to other skills) is the idea that subskills or specific uses of Expertise can add their bonus to other abilities. For example, someone with Expertise (Electronics) might require a Dexterity+Expertise Ranks to perform a delicate bit of rewiring.

This is probably beyond the scope of Hero Lab, but it's interesting to note that it makes all stats more useful, even if a given skill doesn't list that stat as the associated stat, it might always come into play later.
Shadowchaser is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old August 26th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Yeah, I don't recall anyone that has talked about Skill Costs on the Atomic Think Tank saying that they were going to change the Combat Skill costs (and really, is anyone going to use 4 or 5 Skill Ranks per point in M&M3?).

Currently Playing:
charlieluce is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 30th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Good idea for a thread - I'll definitely look at what people ask for here once I've had a chance to tighten up the files a bit.
Colen is offline   #10 Reply With Quote