Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

vrimage

Old August 19th, 2017, 04:39 AM
Hello again

A few questions about setting up the editor for the gamesystem i am putting together.

First:

the system has some abilities, called talents, and some of those talents are called Threadweaving talents. I can add a it_tagcheck field to the editor to mark the talent as a threadweaving talent. no problem there. Spells are categorized based on these threadweaving talents, so i need a way to chose between these talents in the editor when adding spells to the system, possibly even choosing multiple threadweaving talents.

Let me give an example:
We are adding a spell called Illusionary Fireball, a spell using partly real fire and partly an issusion of fire. This spell would require a character to have both an illusion threadweaving and an elementalism threadweaving.
Those two threadweaving talents have been created in the editor and both marked as treadweaving talents using the tag Helper.IsWeaving

I would like to somehow be able to choose those two talents in the editor when adding a spell.

And please note that any combination and number of threadweaving talents should be possible.

I hope I have made this understandable.

Another thing, and this is not strictly neccesary, but would be nice.
I would like to, if possible, make something resembling pathfinder's editor in regards to selecting abilities. I am talking about some sort of window popping up when pressing a button, allowing me to bootstrap abilities, and simply enter/select a number to specify a requirement, instead of having to use the standard bootstrap window, where I would have to enter a bit longer requirement code each time.

Thank you
vrimage is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 19th, 2017, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrimage View Post
Hello again

A few questions about setting up the editor for the gamesystem i am putting together.

First:

the system has some abilities, called talents, and some of those talents are called Threadweaving talents. I can add a it_tagcheck field to the editor to mark the talent as a threadweaving talent. no problem there. Spells are categorized based on these threadweaving talents, so i need a way to chose between these talents in the editor when adding spells to the system, possibly even choosing multiple threadweaving talents.

Let me give an example:
We are adding a spell called Illusionary Fireball, a spell using partly real fire and partly an issusion of fire. This spell would require a character to have both an illusion threadweaving and an elementalism threadweaving.
Those two threadweaving talents have been created in the editor and both marked as treadweaving talents using the tag Helper.IsWeaving

I would like to somehow be able to choose those two talents in the editor when adding a spell.

And please note that any combination and number of threadweaving talents should be possible.

I hope I have made this understandable.

Another thing, and this is not strictly neccesary, but would be nice.
I would like to, if possible, make something resembling pathfinder's editor in regards to selecting abilities. I am talking about some sort of window popping up when pressing a button, allowing me to bootstrap abilities, and simply enter/select a number to specify a requirement, instead of having to use the standard bootstrap window, where I would have to enter a bit longer requirement code each time.

Thank you
Going to let you know the Staff is likely at Gen Con right now, so official answers are not likely forthcoming for a few more days.

Regarding your answer, however, I do know a way to handle this.

When you add your talents that require types of Threadweaving, you can add an Expr-Req in the editor that looks for that talent.

Rig your talents to forward a tag to the Hero.

To add the Talent tags...
<identity group="Talent"/>

Then in eval script that runs in Initialization 1000 or something sufficiently early...
perform forward[Talent.?]

Then in the expr-req, you can do

Code:
hero.tagis[Talent.uniqueid] <> 0
Then set your warning message to say "Illusion Threadweaving required" if your needing the Illusion threadweaving as a prereq.

This would be the easiest way to deal with prereqs. One thing you can do to make this easier, is to go into the Definition file and script a new Macro that checks for talents. Something called hastalent would work. Then you can rig the macro to do the hero.tagis[] and you only have to put in the unique id of the talent your searching for, your code would change to...

Code:
  #hastalent[uniqueid] <> 0
I highly recommend setting up the macro as it will shorten the amount of coding you do in the expr-reqs of your talents and spells.

Example macro code for the Definition file:
Code:
  <scriptmacro
    name="hastelent"
    param1="child"
    result="hero.tagis[Talent.#child]"/>
For the spells, you might be able to set a TalentReq identity group on your talents and have the editor get those tags added to the spells themselves. Then rig up a prereq on the spell component that compares the TalentReq tags to the Talent tags on the hero, if there isn't a match, it reports the error for the prereq not being fulfilled...

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.

Last edited by RavenX; August 19th, 2017 at 02:18 PM.
RavenX is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old January 30th, 2018, 08:49 AM
I believe, on the editor you have set up for spells, you need something like this
Code:
    <inputthing
      name="Spellweaving Talent"
      helptext="Specify which spellweaving talent this spell belongs to.">
      <it_taglist group="Helper" tag="IsWeaving"/>
      </inputthing>
That would produce the list of anything tagged with Helper.IsWeaving, but it wouldn't limit it to just Talents with that tag. For that, you might want to create a Talent.IsWeaving tag (instead of the Helper version) for use in this. Then, if Talents are the only thing tagged with the Talent tag group, you'll only see Talents in that list.

That help?

Working on -
  • (SWADE) WIP Savage Rifts
  • Savage Rifts (Deluxe): Update link in This post
  • Star Trek Adventures: Update link in This post
TCArknight is offline   #3 Reply With Quote