Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Parody

Old January 6th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkthomsen9 View Post
I thought I would put up some pictures of my gaming table.
There's actually a thread for that. :)

ObTopic: I don't have much to say about this one. I don't use the existing Player View, and this request is a mix of a request for multiple Player Views and adding VTT features to those Views. LWD has said before they're not interested in adding VTT features, but in supporting better integration with existing VTT applications.

Last edited by Parody; January 6th, 2015 at 02:57 PM.
Parody is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old January 6th, 2015, 03:14 PM
I agree this is not a VTT. It may or may not become one in the future, but not anytime in the near future. As I see it it is a request for another way to export the information we have entered. As the tread you linked shows there are MANY different setups out there. A common thread for those that use computers at the game table is that we are using more than two monitors. This seems to me to be a logical next step sometime in the future. I know very little about code, but as the feature is already in RW to display a tab "player view" on a second monitor, and RW can already detect all of my monitors, it doesn't seem to be a big step to allow you to open multiple player tabs, and tell each tab which monitor to display on. But as I am ignorant on the code required I may be grossly inaccurate.
jkthomsen9 is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old January 20th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Quote:
I agree this is not a VTT. It may or may not become one in the future, but not anytime in the near future. ...........
No, is the correct answer.... As has been stated in this (and many other threads (including the kickstarter) LWD isn't taking RW in that direction. It is why they are considering a partnership with D20pro.

Quote:
I know very little about code, but as the feature is already in RW to display a tab "player view" on a second monitor, and RW can already detect all of my monitors, it doesn't seem to be a big step to allow you to open multiple player tabs, and tell each tab which monitor to display on. But as I am ignorant on the code required I may be grossly inaccurate.
Yea, there isn't alot of "extra code" IF.... REPEAT IF.. you simply want to mirror the displays. (same info on all), based on your previous posts, I am not getting that impression. It seems you would like multiple displays that could be modified and displayed uniquely... that is a lot of code.

Right now RW simply (simply for this discussion) takes what the Master Realm Creator wishes to display (via Reveal) and puts it to that screen selected for player view.

IF I am correct in my presumption, you would want to have "reveal" based on screen, PC, or Player? And code would have to account for all that sorting (to over simplify). The basis for that code, MIGHT exist in the near future to build from when the market place, Character level reveals and other programming code are complete. IT would still, even after the existence of the new code, require more code to distinguish monitors and the ability to do so on the fly as player view does. Currently the RWPE is "revealed" only via syncing for each individual player (ie owner of RWPE) that has an accepted invite to a realm. Most likely the RWPE wont have character based reveals except by syncing as well.

So with out a means to sort the code out to the proper display, IMO, I don't see this happening for years.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old January 21st, 2015, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
No, is the correct answer.... As has been stated in this (and many other threads (including the kickstarter) LWD isn't taking RW in that direction. It is why they are considering a partnership with D20pro.
I am not arguing this point. The only reason I stated it might happen sometime in the future was due to a conversation I had with Rob doing Paizocon. He stated that they were leaving the door open to possibly to go that direction in the future, but had no plans to do so anytime soon. So in my mind it is not impossible but also not probable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
Yea, there isn't alot of "extra code" IF.... REPEAT IF.. you simply want to mirror the displays. (same info on all), based on your previous posts, I am not getting that impression. It seems you would like multiple displays that could be modified and displayed uniquely... that is a lot of code.

Right now RW simply (simply for this discussion) takes what the Master Realm Creator wishes to display (via Reveal) and puts it to that screen selected for player view.

IF I am correct in my presumption, you would want to have "reveal" based on screen, PC, or Player? And code would have to account for all that sorting (to over simplify). The basis for that code, MIGHT exist in the near future to build from when the market place, Character level reveals and other programming code are complete. IT would still, even after the existence of the new code, require more code to distinguish monitors and the ability to do so on the fly as player view does. Currently the RWPE is "revealed" only via syncing for each individual player (ie owner of RWPE) that has an accepted invite to a realm. Most likely the RWPE wont have character based reveals except by syncing as well.

So with out a means to sort the code out to the proper display, IMO, I don't see this happening for years.
I know next to nothing about coding. So I put things in this forum to see what is possible, what is probable, and what is just way out. You and I have similar setups. IIRC you use a VTT program to your two monitors in your table and player view to the monitor behind you. I do not use a VTT at all. We prefer to use mini's.

What I would like to be able to do is send the smart image of the map to my projector so I can use fog of world to incrementally reveal the map as they explore, and be able to send picture (simple) images of the NPC's and Player handouts to the the monitor behind me.

Information that would be interesting to me is to see how many DM's in our community are using more than one screen to display information to their players. And of those that do how many are using a second program to run their maps?
jkthomsen9 is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old January 21st, 2015, 05:10 PM
Quote:
I am not arguing this point. The only reason I stated it might happen sometime in the future was due to a conversation I had with Rob doing Paizocon. He stated that they were leaving the door open to possibly to go that direction in the future, but had no plans to do so anytime soon. So in my mind it is not impossible but also not probable.
Interesting, and good to know... certainly not Rob's "Published" stance. Choices are always a good thing... I just hope they complete the promises already mounting up before undertaking new "possibilities".

Quote:
I know next to nothing about coding. So I put things in this forum to see what is possible, what is probable, and what is just way out.
I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous, by no means am I a Shadowchemosh, Parody or several others that earn their keep dealing with programing or IT challenges. It is more a passive hobby I enjoy than a need to further my career.

Quote:
You and I have similar setups. IIRC you use a VTT program to your two monitors in your table and player view to the monitor behind you. I do not use a VTT at all. We prefer to use mini's.
I prefer mini as well (stopped counting at 4k) but do utilize a VTT for maps (saves time drawing) and large scale combats (tokens come in handy here)
BUT, don't use RW for the reveal as it is too cumbersome (IMO) for actual game play. I use Fog of War, to detail out maps explored for any that want to look at it in between game sessions.
Quote:
What I would like to be able to do is send the smart image of the map to my projector so I can use fog of world to incrementally reveal the map as they explore, and be able to send picture (simple) images of the NPC's and Player handouts to the the monitor behind me.
Hummm see no easy solution for this approach... This is also why I chose to go with two different programs that specialize in each application.

I allow RW (until more is fully integrated and realized) to do very little interaction with the players. I utilize it primarily as a world management tool. I can see where others would use differently, but until there are calendar, better controls on "what is / isn't revealed", I wait.
All of my handouts, views, etc I consolidate as PDF & go into a folder for the game date and are attached to RW postmortem based on what was and was not "Explored".

As to maps, without multiple reveal tools, and nested maps I find RW too cumbersome. (JMO) So I use D20pro (for now ultimate on the horizon) to manage the mapping. I can preload upwards of 20 maps at one time and in one click go from map to map.... A bonus is the Export Feature that Herolab has with D20pro that totes all the stats & data (which to be honest I don't use much in D20pro), but best of all it attaches the pictures. With one click I can show the butcher looks like this, or the monster down the hall looks like that...

D20pro's reveal is far superior to RW as well, you can predefine any shape you want to reveal as an overlay and simply click on that area to reveal as you go.
Lastly, if saved it keeps track of all HP and locations

Quote:
Information that would be interesting to me is to see how many DM's in our community are using more than one screen to display information to their players. And of those that do how many are using a second program to run their maps?
See above.. and I agree, there are many approaches, would be interesting to hear the pluses and minuses to each approach....
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #25 Reply With Quote