Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

AEIOU

Old August 11th, 2014, 03:36 PM
I just wanted to highlight a teensy piece of the latest monthly newsletter wherein Lone Wolf mentioned this about the d20pro Kickstarter: "A new Hero Lab importer is already planned. With enough support, RealmWorks integration is next!"

AEIOU is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Ladyofdragons

Old August 12th, 2014, 04:19 AM
I haven't looked at d20pro in years, but when you mentioned the kickstarter in another thread I downloaded the trial and gave it a looksee. I believe I'm going to purchase a copy and join the kickstarter.

I am definitely looking forward to some RW integration, perhaps the ability to link a scene in RW to open directly a specific map in d20pro. Only thing I really have negative to say about d20pro is the spell functionality, which frankly kinda sucks. Which is weird, considering there are posts in their forum from 5 years ago saying they were working to improve it.

-------------------------------------
"...You're going to backstab him with a ballista?"
Ladyofdragons is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old August 12th, 2014, 11:11 AM
I totally agree with you. Spellcasting and updating player characters are the two things that irritate me the most. I'm hoping the latter will be resolved with better HL importing. Unfortunately, spell changes haven't been mentioned.

That said, they are headed in the right direction. Now to nudge a little for spells....
AEIOU is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old August 12th, 2014, 01:56 PM
I've had a license for d20pro for a few years, have played with it, and even created an importer for my Hero Lab plugin for Castles & Crusades.

So, my question is what you're talking about. Spells. Is there a VTT that does it right, I'd love to take a look.

I have a Mentor/Backer account on Roll20, and an Ultimate license for Fantasy Grounds.

BoomerET

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old August 12th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Seems to me that Fantasy Grounds does spells pretty much right on, at least as much as could be reasonably expected.
Bidmaron is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old August 13th, 2014, 05:09 AM
I backed the kickstarter, full liucense and 4 extra guest. Will handle my entire table for my campaign.
Exmortis is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Ladyofdragons

Old August 13th, 2014, 04:21 PM
I want so little out of spellcasting in a VTT, really. I want to click a spell, have it pop up the box asking me for damage, I put in a number and it applies damage in the same line where it says "character casts spell", rather than my having to separately apply random damage. There's just so many rules and permutations that I don't want much. Even with a magic missile, it's xd4+x, and if the character is casting it as a different level, or using a feat, or whatever, I have no desire to have a program try and handle that. If it did, I probably wouldn't use it because it would be too time consuming. I'm hoping a VTT will help speed up my DMing, not the opposite.

Ladyofdragons is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old August 14th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Lady, the effects system of FG will handle most cases. For the example you cite, it will do the magic missile. If you cast it as a different level, you can have an effect in you character list to add to the CL (I haven't tried this, but it should work), which FG will account for when you cast the spell. Likewise with a feat. The system is pretty powerful. If you want to handle the odd cases as simply entering damage, that is easy enough, as you simply type the damage into the chat area and drag it to your target. There may be sexier ways to do it, as I'm really just getting up to speed on the program. It is really pretty amazing and can auto-roll (if you want) heal spells and most damage spells and condition spells.
Bidmaron is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old August 15th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Response back from d20pro team. The $30,000 stretch goal addresses rules which includes spells.

Quote:
@Steven Wells, we've been waiting to address this for a long time! The spells/effects system will finally get a proper upgrade with the Unlimited Rules stretch goal. Some highlights include:
- spells may be pre-programmed (or imported) with all their effects included
- new powerful variables, like caster level, will be included in a spell's description
- spells that target via area-of-effect (e.g. burst, line) will automatically present the caster with the correct template as part of spell casting.
AEIOU is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Ladyofdragons

Old August 18th, 2014, 06:17 AM
Thumbs up on the spell effects system upgrade. Like with RW I don't expect this stuff to happen overnight, but eventually would be nice.

I've taken a look again at Fantasy Grounds, and I just don't like it. I know I've looked at it in the past (I'm somewhat of a champion of tabletop-assist software, used to have a rather large website with thousands of links to find/download tools/sheets/articles/etc.), unfortunately I don't find it at all intuitive, and not a fan of the focus on a pretty UI filled with floating windows. d20pro I installed and ran an encounter immediately. It's got most of what I want since I only play at the table, and I can easily ignore the remote features I won't ever use.

Ladyofdragons is offline   #10 Reply With Quote