Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - User Projects
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 4th, 2010, 11:26 AM
So I have a little more time so I would like to get back to this again. We have several things to do to get an easier to use data set for d20. Here is what I am thinking.
  1. The first thing is to decide what books should be in the core 3.5 data set. Maybe easier to work with what books should be removed. I am thinking the dragonlance stuff and anything that is for Lawful_g's home games. I saw at least one file that was for houserules. Need to ask Lawful_g if you kept everything in that one file or did you spread things around? Anyone else see any other books that should be removed?
  2. We need to tag the last of the books with a Source type so that the player can decided what books are allowed to be used per character. In example the Races of the Wild things are not Source marked. Risner you said you would be able to do this? Is it coming along or do you need help?
  3. We need to change all the custom .dat files into .user files so that we will have an easier time creating the export file. I talked to Colen at HL and he said they maybe able to do a modification to the Export Tool that will auto-select all the .user files in a future update. So if we change the .dat files to .user it will become very easy to create the export files. Right now its a little confusing.
  4. Will need a new folder on Cheifweasel's web server to hold the .xml file that will be used for the Secondary Update URL feature. Or where ever you want to store it. Assuming you want that on your server as you will also need to a have a single place to put the export files also. Otherwise I can actually host this if you want instead off of my web server.
  5. Create at least one stable Export File(.hl) that imports all the .user files into someones d20 data folder. Preferably having it show up inside HL's download list so it can be auto-downloaded and installed.

Anyone have any other things to add to the list?

Also anyone have any ideas how to keep the .user files in sync with different people making changes to it? I am thinking it may need a central person to take all the changes and incorporate them into a single location. I know I have seen a few things that I would like to improve upon or make changes to and wouldn't want it to get over written with the wrong version of the same file.

Lawful_G it looks like you change the name of files when you change them giving them a new date? This seems that it could and does cause issues as the files won't be overwritten then when doing an import. Even when manually dropping them into the d20 folder it leaves duplications of the same Things then. So was wondering if using the version info built into the editor now would be easier instead of changing the file name?

Anyone have any other ideas or thoughts to share?

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #1 Reply With Quote