Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

RayPrancer

Old March 6th, 2010, 04:43 AM
I have a file I've created using the "new system" option that's showing as being in demonstration mode, however I have the relevant liscence (Authoring Kit etc), so how do I tell HeroLab this? Is this due to a limit - as this is not the first file I've created?

Thanks
"Ray"
RayPrancer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 6th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Which game system did you duplicate to create your new folder? Are you licensed for the files you duplicated?
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
RayPrancer

Old March 7th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Just the basic skeleton files, which I believe are included in the Authoring Kit license - although I had as similar problem when I accidently duplicated the Authoring Kit Sample system. I also have World of Darkness and d20 System on the license in question.

I've also tried going through the "re-activate license" process, but that hasn't made a differences.
RayPrancer is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 7th, 2010, 08:50 AM
You might have to try exiting and restarting Hero Lab. I'm afraid I'm not sure what's happening if that doesn't work.

Rob or Colen?
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
RayPrancer

Old March 7th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Still not working, so I'll have to wait for someone else.
RayPrancer is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 7th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Let me see if I can help figure out what's going on here...

The key thing to verify is what Hero Lab *thinks* you're licensed for. You can find this out by loading a game system that you are licensed for (e.g. d20 or WoD), going to the License menu, and selecting the View License Information option. Is the Authoring Kit included in the list shown?

If the Kit is *not* shown in the list, that explains the data file behavior you're seeing. However, it doesn't explain why you're unable to access the Kit. If you've purchased access to the Kit, it should show up in the list within HL.

If the Kit *is* shown in the list of licensed game systems, I don't have a clue why a new game system via the Kit is stuck in demo mode. If that's the case, let me know and I'll have to do some investigation on this end to figure out why this might be occurring in the first place.

Let me know which it is and we'll continue diagnosing this problem once I'm pointed in the right direction.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
RayPrancer

Old March 8th, 2010, 05:26 AM
The kit *is* showing in the list. It's not happening with the main "Authoring Kit Sample" system, and wasn't happening with the first (since deleted) game system I created - but was happening from the second, due to all the deletions I'm techincally on the sixth.
RayPrancer is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
RayPrancer

Old March 9th, 2010, 03:04 AM
I woke up this morning with a sudden feeling I'd been in a system I didn't have a liscene for when I created the system, even though it was from a system I did have. Hopefully this will help - unfortunatly, I'm not certain about this.
RayPrancer is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 9th, 2010, 03:23 AM
There are two ways to obtain a "new" game system within Hero Lab. You can *duplicate* an existing game system or *create* a completely new game system. The behaviors you will get for each are quite different.

Anytime you *duplicate* an existing game system, all of the licensing details associated with the original game system are copied as well. Consequently, if you duplicate the Cortex System game system, the new copy will require that you have a license for Cortex to fully utilize the data files. The purpose of the *duplicate* mechanism is for when you want to have a separate set for tinkering with custom data files or if you are playing in multiple games with different house rules (you can tailor each instance independently).

Creating a *new* game system is used when you want to write data files from scratch for a game system. For example, if you wanted to write files for GURPS, you would use this approach. Creating a *new* game system will always generate the Skeleton data files, which provide you with a basic framework that can be adapted for your chosen game system. All *new* game systems will be governed by the Authoring Kit license.

If you load the game system that is causing problems, is it the minimal Skeleton data files? Or is it a copy of another game system? If the former, your Authoring Kit license should grant access properly. If the latter, access depends on which game system you copied for modification.

Hope this helps...
rob is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old March 9th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Here's a new question that doesn't answer the original, but goes along the topic of duplicating a system...

If there is an update to a system, say d20, and you have duplicated it so you can tweak it for a given campaign that you are playing in. Will it update both the original AND the duplicate at the same time? If so, cool. If not, how would you go about duplicating it?
SeeleyOne is offline   #10 Reply With Quote