Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

the_redbeard

Old August 14th, 2015, 03:34 PM
Howdy,

I'm hoping that either people will find this useful OR that people will share other ways they've used RW to do similar things.

As I've talked about before, in the sandbox campaigns that I run I often have to create NPCs on the fly. That usually starts with a name (what's in a name?) While I'm bummed that random generation isn't a part of RW (arg, it's a program!) here's how I'm trying to use RW to help me with this.

For my own sense of immersion, I like names that are consistent for different languages and ethnic groups. I use web sites like Chris Pounds Name Generators or programs like The Everchanging Book of Names to produce a set of names that feel right for each group.

Then in the RW entry for each group, I create a new section, use one snippet to make a note of my name source, and then another snippet to paste in a long, long list of names for that group.

When I am called upon to make a new NPC, I open the topic for the ethnic group, scan the name list, highlight it and press [control] Q.

After the session, I can make a change in the ethnic groups and content links are built between the ethnic groups and the new NPCs.

This seems like it will be helpful to me. But is there a better way that I'm missing?
the_redbeard is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old August 14th, 2015, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Then in the RW entry for each group, I create a new section, use one snippet to make a note of my name source, and then another snippet to paste in a long, long list of names for that group.

When I am called upon to make a new NPC, I open the topic for the ethnic group, scan the name list, highlight it and press [control] Q.
That is a nice way to do this. And I like your CTRL-Q bit at the end as it really makes it simple. If you don't delete the name right away, it'll be linked so you can see the name has been used at least once.
AEIOU is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old August 19th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
That is a nice way to do this. And I like your CTRL-Q bit at the end as it really makes it simple. If you don't delete the name right away, it'll be linked so you can see the name has been used at least once.
Have a second snippet that you transfer the name over to, then you have two lists, one you've used and one you haven't.

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old August 19th, 2015, 01:04 PM
That takes work too. But if I actually touch them it would undoubtedly be to delete them from the list rather than to move them around to another list. I'm just lazy so the links would be a good reminder to delete eventually.
AEIOU is offline   #4 Reply With Quote