Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - 4th Edition
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

pfloyd

Old October 2nd, 2011, 04:59 AM
I'm evaluating the 4e add-on for HL. So far, here are my impressions:

Good:
- Ease in which items are selected for addition into the character, such as feats, skills, gear, and the like.
- A nicely readable character sheet.
- Help for abilities right there in the GUI.

Bad:
- Power cards. I can see that within the power card, the program does the calculations for you for your weapons or whatnot. However, I don't see what the section to the right of the card is in aid of.
example:
For Dual Strike, it says the following:
Code:
Str vs AC
+3
1[W]
1[W]
whereas inside the power itself it says:
Code:
Attack: (Scimitar) +6 vs AC, 1d8+1   (Short Sword) +7 vs AC, 1d6  (Strength vs AC (Main Weapon))
It seems like the body of the power does all the calculations, and the right column does really nothing, just prints a summary of the base power without adding anything up.
Is this how it was meant to be? I think a little work needs to be done there, or at least some explaining before I go ahead with purchasing the add-on.

However, that one con aside, good work HL!

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."
=== Douglas Adams
pfloyd is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Shon911

Old January 27th, 2012, 09:20 AM
I believe that the right column shows the basics of the power so that if something happens, such as your weapon changing mid game, you can do the calculation quickly.

You're captured by goblins, you escape and pick up a couple of clubs etc. You would then, in your example, be clubs for dual strike. The right column would allow you to make the calculation quickly given your new temporary weapons.

At least that's what I believe the purpose to be, and how I have been using it. It isn't used often, but it is handy when it does, specifically for showing newer players why their power changed.

-Shon
Shon911 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
pfloyd

Old February 1st, 2012, 11:31 AM
Makes sense then. Guess I'm just used to the DDI Character Builder's power cards.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."
=== Douglas Adams
pfloyd is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 1st, 2012, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfloyd View Post
Makes sense then. Guess I'm just used to the DDI Character Builder's power cards.
Yeah the power cards in hero lab are there in two formats so that if you lose a weapon (Which is VERY common in Dark Sun as they are made from inferior materials) you still have the ability to use the card with minimal recalculations.
RavenX is offline   #4 Reply With Quote