Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

kbs666

Old August 27th, 2018, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ View Post
My apologies for not posting an official company update.
Unfortunately, this occurred the one time all week I stepped away and had spotty cell signal. By the time I returned the issue had already been fixed and consumers were posting as much. I’m just grateful the devs worked to repair the issue on their days off.
Why did you need to be the one posting a "the server is down. We know about it and are working on it" post? If there was a dev working on it that same dev could surely have spent 30 seconds making that post on the announcement board or here.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old August 27th, 2018, 07:51 AM
Even with an internet that is always available it won't help the customer if the servers are down. Not an RW issue but maybe an HLO issue - since I heard that updates are server based.

Each and every time I read "servers are down" (which is completely acceptable and to be expected, because it can happen for a an online consumer grade product) I know, that I am not belonging to the target audience. Because it's just murphy's law, when I would like to play and access is required at this very moment, it wouldn't work and I would be just upset :P Again, with RW it's no problem, most of the stuff can be done offline - which is a good middle ground. Only thing that is so annoying is that I cannot copy around my master realms between my laptops. I'm wondering already how I will manage when the subscription runs out

I just hope that there will be always enough people to make companies turn around or at least mind of the customers that wish offline products, so they continue to develop products that work without internet at full capacity. Especially when (and here iam just speaking about applications in general) an "always online" functionality is just a "nice to have" feature and with little benefit for the customer.

The expectation I have to any application is, that I dont want to add additional (avoidable) risks compared to usage of pen & paper, because that's what I will be measured against, when I'm the one using electronic tools and some other player is not.

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net

Last edited by Acenoid; August 28th, 2018 at 12:42 PM.
Acenoid is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old August 27th, 2018, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Why did you need to be the one posting a "the server is down. We know about it and are working on it" post? If there was a dev working on it that same dev could surely have spent 30 seconds making that post on the announcement board or here.
+1 on that

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old August 28th, 2018, 03:24 AM
+1

I am with Acenoid, kbs666 and Valyar here.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
The_Traveller

Old August 28th, 2018, 04:50 AM
Quote:
Actually it makes sense that the dev would not be the one making the update notification. Communication of issues normally would be sent via manager/talking head/spokesmonkey to ensure the appropriate information is given in a consistent format. it also ensures that the feedback is going to one focus point.
The_Traveller is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old August 28th, 2018, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Traveller View Post
Actually it makes sense that the dev would not be the one making the update notification. Communication of issues normally would be sent via manager/talking head/spokesmonkey to ensure the appropriate information is given in a consistent format. it also ensures that the feedback is going to one focus point.
Not on any team I've ever managed and I've been a project manager for 15 years. When something like this happens off hours and a dev or two is dealing with an outage and a short post or tweet needs to be made just to let the users know that the team is aware of the problem, a fix is underway and possibly an ETA of when service will be restored there is no need to get the social media rep involved. That just adds more delay before the users get information they should have ASAP. As the incident Sunday showed they may never get the information at all. The may only find out service is restored by trying to use the service or by some other user doing so and then posting somewhere that it is back up. Which erodes confidence in the company's customer service.

If you can't count on your devs to post "We're aware the log in server is down. We're working on a fix and hope to have the service back up soon." you need to reconsider your devs.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Rone

Old August 28th, 2018, 10:34 AM
Our most sincere apologies for the dropped ball.

When you see a ball there on the ground you know it was definitely dropped, and sometimes you care to know how it got there. For those who do, I'll explain.

It typically falls to BJ or a member of the Customer Support team to make a post announcing an outage. This was just a strange circumstance on a Sunday where EVERYONE who would normally post about an outage was out at the same time and it simply didn’t occur to the dev who fixed the issue to make a post as it’s not normally his job to post anything at all.

However, this led to a new protocol. I will now be posting these notices. I repeat, Rone now has the ball. Give me a three-steps-out-the-door headstart?
Rone is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old August 28th, 2018, 10:59 AM
See my last.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
The_Traveller

Old August 29th, 2018, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Not on any team I've ever managed and I've been a project manager for 15 years. When something like this happens off hours and a dev or two is dealing with an outage and a short post or tweet needs to be made just to let the users know that the team is aware of the problem, a fix is underway and possibly an ETA of when service will be restored there is no need to get the social media rep involved. That just adds more delay before the users get information they should have ASAP. As the incident Sunday showed they may never get the information at all. The may only find out service is restored by trying to use the service or by some other user doing so and then posting somewhere that it is back up. Which erodes confidence in the company's customer service.

If you can't count on your devs to post "We're aware the log in server is down. We're working on a fix and hope to have the service back up soon." you need to reconsider your devs.
Well kbs66 in my experience communication between the dev teams and external clients is controlled. Given that every word of a communication here is dissected, analyzed, and interpreted for hidden meaning it makes sense why devs are not posting here in official capacity. It would only lead to "well so-and-so said X".

But hey, YMMW.
The_Traveller is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old August 29th, 2018, 06:21 AM
the devs have routinely posted the equivalent of "We're aware the log in server is down. We're working on a fix and hope to have the service back up soon." in the past without a problem.

https://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=58073
https://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=60040

So I do not understand what you are talking about.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #20 Reply With Quote