Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

KefkaZ

Old April 16th, 2014, 11:05 AM
I'm just curious how people are utilizing Realm Works to track XP. As I'm putting in the Reign of Winter AP, I'm coming across XP all over the place. I realize that I can just have my players add XP as we go, but I wouldn't have an easy way of tracking it.

How are people solving this in RW?

Edit: Just realized this probably should go in the discussion forum, which is where I thought I was posting.

Last edited by KefkaZ; April 16th, 2014 at 11:57 AM.
KefkaZ is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 16th, 2014, 12:13 PM
For the last few years my Pathfinder groups haven't used XP. We level up the entire party when they reach appropriate points in the campaign. In Realm Works you'd probably just add a note to a Game Session stating that the party reached level whatever.

Last edited by Parody; April 16th, 2014 at 12:16 PM.
Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Viral Platypus

Old April 16th, 2014, 01:00 PM
You can create an event category if you want to track it and just create a new topic each time you assign experience. When you reveal it, as long as you are tracking the sessions reveal history, it'll be tracked that way. You won't have a total, but if your players are using Herolab, they should be able to add it in as necessary. You can even add in the actual in-game date they received it.

This may also be a function in the Journal feature that has yet to be finalized.
Viral Platypus is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old April 16th, 2014, 01:46 PM
im not. i still use hero lab to track XP. mostly because each player can (and often does) get different XP if they do any side missions. (As well as the fact that I give roleplay awards) For RealmsWorks to take over HeroLabs XP journalling, in my opinion, it will have to keep track of each player. For nwo, if i have both, i use hero lab for XP/character management, and RealmsWorks for larger campaign management.
mirtos is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
KefkaZ

Old April 16th, 2014, 02:34 PM
I will have to look into tracking Xp in hero lab. I haven't used it for a group before, just for my own individual character.

Is the journal feature documented anywhere, even as "we want the journal to do this, but we haven't put it in yet?"
KefkaZ is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Viral Platypus

Old April 16th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Some basic info here: Future Features
Viral Platypus is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old April 16th, 2014, 06:35 PM
I've just been putting an xp value for the creatures in the encounter in the annotation for the statblock. I use xp more as a guideline than something I seriously track, though. I shoot for a level every three or four sessions. That gives me an xp "budget" that I try to meet every game session either with combat encounters or story advancement.
Mystic Lemur is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 17th, 2014, 12:41 AM
Tracking the XP accrued by the PCs is not really something we've tailored Realm Works for at this point. There are two ways to do it right now that ought to work reasonably well. Option #1 is to create a user note specifically for the purpose. Option #2 is to create a single topic and add snippets for each game session. Within a single snippet, you can list multiple encounters and the individual XP for that encounter if you want.
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old April 17th, 2014, 04:43 AM
I think it depends on the game. That works for Pathfinder. For D20 (those of us who still play, and its a bunch), that would be more difficult. This is why i still use HeroLab for XP awarding.
mirtos is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
KefkaZ

Old April 17th, 2014, 11:06 AM
First, Rob, Thanks for taking time to answer. I'm loving the program!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Tracking the XP accrued by the PCs is not really something we've tailored Realm Works for at this point. There are two ways to do it right now that ought to work reasonably well. Option #1 is to create a user note specifically for the purpose. Option #2 is to create a single topic and add snippets for each game session. Within a single snippet, you can list multiple encounters and the individual XP for that encounter if you want.
I am fine with both of these options, and I would probably use the first one. That said, Do I currently have the ability to query tags? For instance, is there a way to display all of the annotations listed next to the "class" tag? I'm guessing probably not, which is fine. I'm guessing that would be VERY resource intensive anyway. I just don't know what I don't know about Realm Works at this point

Last edited by KefkaZ; April 17th, 2014 at 11:11 AM.
KefkaZ is offline   #10 Reply With Quote