Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Erich

Old January 18th, 2016, 05:14 PM
Hi guys,
I am working on the Hellfrost files I got from Caped Crusader and am having a problem I'm hoping the community can help me with.

What it comes down to is that I am trying to associate certian spells with certian deities. While I have found the tab to do an association, some of the spells will not associate. For instance, The Norns allow for the healing spell, but I cannot get the program to associate the spell with the diety. I have tried associating each of the three instances that appear on the tab, but none of the seem to work.

Can anyone offer any insight? I realize more info will probably be needed, but I don't really have any idea idea what to offer at this point.

Thanks
-Erich
Erich is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old January 19th, 2016, 06:00 AM
I'm not really that familiar with the Hellfrost files, although I do know they were put together quite a while back before some of the more standard methods were put in place, like using a 2-letter code in the Unique name for each setting, for example, not to mention being in separate files (which I might understand for expansions, but even then you can still keep it all in the same file just using a different "source".) It could probably use a good overhaul but that's CC's file and he's got quite a lot on his plate right now.

In any case spells are mostly set-up for association with Arcane Backgrounds, so maybe you can use that to your advantage? Can you set up a separate AB for each Diety? Either that or you'd have to modify each powers Pick-Req to disallow certain Dieties?

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Erich

Old January 19th, 2016, 03:53 PM
I hadn't considered an AB for each deity.
Thanks Zarlor.
I'll give that a look.

-Erich
Erich is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old January 19th, 2016, 05:36 PM
I do not have that dataset, or if I do I have no idea where I put it.

I would make each religion a different faction, and from there you can check all of the powers that are valid. Or is that how it is and for some reason it is not working?

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old January 20th, 2016, 05:22 AM
That's partially how it is. Each religion is a different faction, but they were not set up for valid powers. I think Erich is saying trying to modify the files to do that doesn't seem to be working right, though. I haven't really had any time to try it out myself. I think you can get the files from CapedCrusader if you want to play with them.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old January 23rd, 2016, 08:11 PM
You can apply the different powers to each deity directly in their Faction entry. In the editor each faction has button that says "edit" next to its descriptor of Valid Powers. This is on the bottom left, above sources. You then check each and every power on the list. It is tedious, and in the case of duplicate versions of the same power name it can be tricky because you need to be certain to check mark the correct one. But as tedious as it is, once it is done it is done if you remember to save it.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Erich

Old January 26th, 2016, 03:55 PM
Quote:
I think Erich is saying trying to modify the files to do that doesn't seem to be working right.
That is correct. I found the edit button and have managed to add most powers to the deity I am working with.
However, some of the powers (Healing for example) don't seem to want to work.
-Erich
Erich is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old January 26th, 2016, 04:21 PM
Are there multiple versions of those powers? If there is more than one version you have to be careful to be linking it to the correct power. If Hellfrost has a version of a power it is likely that its "wrong" version is being precluded, and in that case nothing would show up on the Powers list when trying to select a power.

SeeleyOne is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Erich

Old January 26th, 2016, 07:01 PM
Hmmm, there are multiples of the ones that are giving me the problem.
How can I fix that? Do I need to un-preclude the powers that have been precluded?

-Erich
Erich is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old January 26th, 2016, 08:11 PM
That is one way. I personally hate duplicates and prefer to just use the core rulebook wherever possible.

But if you want to keep to strict Hellfrost you have to try to figure out which is which. This is where having the naming convention of Hellfrost starting with HF would have been nice. You can click on the ? and it will tell you the id.

One thing that I have done at times is make screenshot. In this case, you might find it useful to look at the Powers for Hellfrost in the editor (you are there anyway) and take screenshots until you have all of them with their id's. Then you can go back and match those versions of the powers from inside the different religions. Time consuming, but you only have to do it once.

SeeleyOne is offline   #10 Reply With Quote