Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

cyberqat

Old May 19th, 2017, 05:14 PM
I am trying to create a human subrace that is like variant human but grants a specific feat and 2 assignable +1 ability.

I thought I could add it as a "Bonus Feat" but its not showing up on the character, and I cannot figure out at all how to set it for two user assignable +1 ability settings.

Some directions would be really helpful.
cyberqat is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
cyberqat

Old May 19th, 2017, 06:12 PM
Update: the bonus feat shows up under the feats list, but not on the edit panels.

How do I add a feat with fields that are selecteable by the user?

Last edited by cyberqat; May 19th, 2017 at 06:51 PM.
cyberqat is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
cyberqat

Old May 19th, 2017, 06:56 PM
Okay so the magic Initiate shows up on the Special tab as Magic Initiate (-chose-) but I cant find anyway to chose??
cyberqat is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old May 20th, 2017, 04:00 AM
1st, to make sure I understand tou issue correctly, you are using the Human variant in the Community Pack? Correct?

If this is correct once you select Human as your race, on the race Tab. select Add optional Variant Trait. This should work,

If it doesn't. If it doesn't, then make sure that you have the 5E Cummunity Pack correctly installed. The Human Varient is not part of the SRD rules so it was added by the Community Pack. If neither of these are you issue get back to me and we'll try something else.

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
cyberqat

Old May 20th, 2017, 04:16 PM
No. I am trying to create a human subrace which is something like the variant, but not the same in that the bonus feat is fixed.

These are the stats for the sub-race:

+1 to intelligence
+1 to 2 other attributes (player choice)
Bonus Feat: Magic Initiate
Bonus Language: Sueloise
cyberqat is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
cyberqat

Old May 21st, 2017, 07:22 AM
By the way, if this isnt possible in the editor and I have to drop down yo XML I can do that, provided I have the right docs/inbstructions. Sample XML would be helpful in that case...
cyberqat is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 21st, 2017, 09:43 AM
You don't need to work in XML the editor solves 99% of all issues because its scripting that you need to do not XML.

I would advise by finding other Things that do similar logic in 5e and look at those scripts (Feats, Races, Spells, Traits, Archetypes). Adjustments are nice places to get scripting examples from. A script on a Feat works 99% the same way as when running on a Racial Special. Daplunk has a whole WIKI on the community GitHub site to help.

I would recommend reading the Glossary of Terms for the Editor. Then check out FAQ#2 for all the places to learn about the editor including YouTube videos.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old May 22nd, 2017, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberqat View Post
No. I am trying to create a human subrace which is something like the variant, but not the same in that the bonus feat is fixed.

These are the stats for the sub-race:

+1 to intelligence
+1 to 2 other attributes (player choice)
Bonus Feat: Magic Initiate
Bonus Language: Sueloise
I've been investigating something similar for my campaign, look at the half-elf racial ability (raHElfAbil) - this shows you how to make a +1 to CHA and then choose two others to add +1 to. Copy that and wherever CHA is mentioned, replace it with INT.

When you make a copy of the Variant Humans (raHumVar) and call it "Sueloise Humans" you'll replace the bootstrap raHumFeat (correction: raHumAbAlt) with your new racial special ability above.

The bonus feat and language are added with some more eval scripting that I haven't figured out but I went a different route with my "Humans of Oerth" and decided to create custom Backgrounds with racial flavors (like Scarlet Brotherhood Assassin - which grants poisoner's tool kit proficiency and the language Ancient Suloise, for example).

I disagree with you from a lore standpoint - giving pure Suel human the Magic Initiate feat means that your Frost/Snow/Ice Barbarians are running around with a potential to cast magic missile - which is world busting.

Personally, I might grant them access to one or two wizard cantrips using Intelligence as their casting ability (using the High Elf as a basis for my modifications) if I went the path you're looking at.

Last edited by dungeonguru; May 22nd, 2017 at 02:31 AM. Reason: corrected self...
dungeonguru is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
cyberqat

Old May 24th, 2017, 11:28 AM
Heh. This is Living Greyhawk rules, not mine

I assume in all this you dropped to the XML rather then using the editor?

What XML file actually contains the variant human? I havent been able to find it, even with a grep....
cyberqat is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old May 25th, 2017, 05:02 AM
No, I pretty much use the editor for everything since it can do everything you're asking about.

The core SRD information is hardcoded, so you have to use the following trick to see it in XML.

In HL - Tools - Show Editor
Make a new data file.
New(Copy) the thing you want to see how works
Save the file
Use any text editor to open the file to see the XML.

Trying to write anything in XML and then debugging is harder - in the editor you have the handy "TEST NOW!" button that shows you where you made the mistake, if you make an error in XML and then reload hero lab to test, it will refuse to load any of the custom .user files if it finds an error in a single one of them, and then you have to remove the offending .user file from the load directories and start over.
dungeonguru is offline   #10 Reply With Quote