Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

jasonbarron

Old August 5th, 2018, 04:31 PM
For a guy who literally just bought into HL& RW within the last day, some aspects of this conversation are rather alarming. Despite a segment of the community seemingly disgruntled with sluggish developmentmental progress (I gather), is the company on solid enough footing that I don't have to worry about the servers going under anytime soon? I'm really stoked about what I've seen of the tools so far, seen through the eyes of a total rookie. Looking forward to contributing to the community.
jasonbarron is offline   #491 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old August 5th, 2018, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSupernova View Post
Where? The official ReamWorks facebook page hasn't been updated since 2017. The HeroLab page just has a couple of recent posts from GenCon
Those are just product pages. Most of the conversation and community can be found in HERE.

BJ is a member of the group which means when we talk about her she gets tagged and therefore notified and that tends to draw a response

It's not formal communication though. Just a one liner in response to a question.

I also don't buy into the heaped negativity that HLO get's. I would wager we see a rather small % of the user base here in the forums and the FB groups. There would be significant chunks of people using their tools who do not participate in the community at all. So at this point the only people who really understand the current situation is LWD who have access to their sales data. HLO is a subscription model now so they will clearly be able to see people voting with their wallets.

The trends in the market however show they are clearly heading in a more profitable direction. D&DBeyond is seeing so much success that they have been able to hire someone to write a comic book. That in itself is telling that people are willing to pay for subscription services.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #492 Reply With Quote
GThiel

Old August 6th, 2018, 12:27 AM
As someone who spent my active work life as a programmer/developer, the idea of spending money on a comic book instead of adding more programming staff strikes me as just WRONG!!!
GThiel is offline   #493 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old August 6th, 2018, 01:30 AM
I have seen worse...
Decisions of business people who lack understanding of the problem they need to decide upon don't surprise me anymore.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Last edited by Valyar; August 6th, 2018 at 01:32 AM.
Valyar is offline   #494 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old August 6th, 2018, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GThiel View Post
As someone who spent my active work life as a programmer/developer, the idea of spending money on a comic book instead of adding more programming staff strikes me as just WRONG!!!
This. Any software developer doing this in such a niche product is either wildly overcharging for the product or is badly misusing their available funds. If they're overcharging a competitor will soon find some way to compete exclusive license or not.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #495 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old August 6th, 2018, 01:54 AM
See I think this is genius. This is marketing at its finest. They already have Twitch bringing in new customers. Keeping in mind that kids these days don't watch tv, they watch YouTube and Twitch. Online comic strips are also hugely popular and attract a dedicated following. These are all forms of fishing lures that brings in new customers.

D&D 5e isn't the highest selling version of D&D just because they made new books.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials

Last edited by daplunk; August 6th, 2018 at 03:14 AM.
daplunk is offline   #496 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old August 6th, 2018, 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Those are just product pages. Most of the conversation and community can be found in HERE.

The trends in the market however show they are clearly heading in a more profitable direction. D&DBeyond is seeing so much success that they have been able to hire someone to write a comic book. That in itself is telling that people are willing to pay for subscription services.
I love D&DB and have been a subscriber a the the highest tier for about a year. I don;t play exclusive D&D either. So yes, I am very willing to pay for subscription. However, RW has not earned my money at all. While RW offers function that DD&B does not they have also destroyed any trust I have in them. D&DB has consistently communicated with users via youtube live cast videos and posts on the site, and then delivered on the promises made in a reasonable time frame. The product is polished and web based from the start. If RW was communicating with us regularly, putting out updates regularly, delivery new features as promised, and finally squashing the multitude of bugs I would may a reasonable subscription fee with no qualms.
meek75 is offline   #497 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old August 6th, 2018, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
This. Any software developer doing this in such a niche product is either wildly overcharging for the product or is badly misusing their available funds. If they're overcharging a competitor will soon find some way to compete exclusive license or not.
I'm assuming it's the game developer (WotC) releasing the comic book, and not LWD.
EightBitz is offline   #498 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old August 6th, 2018, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
Censoring negative reviews would be a horrible step, improving the products regularly and doing things to keep your customers happy is always better.
Not censoring. FB is a marketing tool. Would you call it censorship if someone wrote a "review" on a bill board and the bill board ad was replaced?
Toblakai is offline   #499 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old August 6th, 2018, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
Not censoring. FB is a marketing tool. Would you call it censorship if someone wrote a "review" on a bill board and the bill board ad was replaced?
If the reviewer was still paid up for the ad, yes.

EDIT: Wait, you mean if someone vandalized the billboard? No, because that's vandalism. Billboard ads are not forums.

Posting a comment on a FB page is not vandalism. That's part of Facebook's inherent design and purpose.

Last edited by EightBitz; August 6th, 2018 at 10:22 AM.
EightBitz is offline   #500 Reply With Quote