Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

AEIOU

Old July 21st, 2014, 01:46 PM
I like that "no near-term plans" piece.... Not now, but also quite possible. I'm hopeful. Thanks, Rob.
AEIOU is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old August 10th, 2014, 11:06 AM
I feel that pictures will tell what I am trying to get better than words. The first image is of the dungeon with a mask/fog of world on. Rob came up with a much better name for it than I did. The second image is the dungeon without the mask. the last two images are when the party discovered the three secret doors. Each door is able to be revealed incrementally. Also note that there is no way to tell the rooms are there before it is revealed. I created this using Paizo's maps. The bottom layer is the player map. The secret areas are cut and pasted from the DM map.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Screenshots of gimp.pdf (792.0 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by jkthomsen9; August 10th, 2014 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Finally uploaded Images
jkthomsen9 is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 10th, 2014, 11:54 AM
If you want to post a picture that isn't already on the web, you need to attach it to your post (using the paperclip icon above or the Manage Attachments button below the text box, both in the full editor). The Insert Image button only works for images on the web.

Parody is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old August 10th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Thank you Parody
jkthomsen9 is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
sincla

Old September 9th, 2014, 01:47 AM
There's another reason why RW needs layers that is specific to the RW vision and NOT a function of a VTT. And that is overland exploration.

You need to have a way of gradually revealing not only sections of the map, but things like towns, cities, special features, as well as names of places that players might not know until they take the time to find out. Just because they spot a village in the distance, doesn't mean they know its name yet.

So layers are definitely a must for incremental text reveals on overland maps.

Also for hidden locations, such as secret caves, ruins, etc.

VTTs aren't meant to handle overland exploration but RW definitely should be, and so we need layers.
sincla is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old September 9th, 2014, 07:08 AM
I want overlays, but.... VTT's actually handle overland quite well for play at the table. RW is nice for a history of where players have been.

Personally, I redraw all overland maps to create player versions without text. And to add a layer with GM information that fits exactly into my campaign setting.

Map pins don't give info if they aren't revealed. I haven't checked to see whether map pins are invisible if they aren't revealed but that would take care of hidden locations.
AEIOU is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
sincla

Old September 9th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Which VTT do you use?

It's just that map pins are ugly and not as helpful compared to text labels for geographical features that take up an area (e.g. mountain ranges) or towns and cities, imo.
sincla is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 9th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Map pins don't give info if they aren't revealed. I haven't checked to see whether map pins are invisible if they aren't revealed but that would take care of hidden locations.
If not revealed the players can't see the map pins at all. This is in the Player View and in the Player Edition of RW. It was one of the first things I checked out on my players copies actually.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old September 9th, 2014, 11:28 AM
I use d20pro for my VTT. The fog-of-war allows me to block out areas and it persists between sessions. And while I do create my own maps that are more player-friendly but also not necessarily "accurate", I'm not pedantic about names and secret doors -- I expect my players to not metagame.

I do want to make sure that I'm clear that overlays are really a useful feature that I would love to have implemented and that I do agree with @sincla -- my workarounds could be more useful if we had overlay support built in.

Specifically, it would be super helpful to create a smart-image, base overland map that I can place multiple overlays upon with some control over transparencies and layers -- political/tribal boundaries, secret adventure locations, army movements, positive/negative/radiation zones, population densities, weather and vegetation zones, relationships to underearth tunnels.... The list of possibilities is endless. And each time I think of one I have to create and maintain another separate map I think of how many bits and bytes we are killing for duplicative storage and it saddens me.

@ShadowChemosh: Thanks for the map pin reveal info. Very cool.
AEIOU is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old June 8th, 2016, 04:33 PM
Rob stated almost two years ago that this was envisioned to happen. I am curious if it is still on the drawing board or has it gone the way of the dodo?
jkthomsen9 is offline   #20 Reply With Quote