Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Acenoid

Old February 14th, 2017, 10:07 AM
What program do you use for npc / character creation if I may ask?

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #71 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 14th, 2017, 11:17 AM
I reached out to the owner of Hero Machine 3 out of curiosity. Looks like we can use that to generate npc art also!

Quote:
Hi Josh,

Whoever creates the character has total IP control over it and can use it as they wish. I generally request a credit link of some sort (though that's not a requirement) but otherwise you're good to go.

Good luck!

Jeff

wrote:
Hi Team,

I would just like to query how your commercial policy of Hero Machine 3 works.

I'm personally not looking to sell any content but I am leading a community project to release free dungeons for Realm Works and we are investigating options for including NPC art.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #72 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old February 14th, 2017, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_NOLA View Post
Thanks,

This is it with out the sepia tone added in.

How does it look as a just black and white style image?

I think that looks better, although I would consider one of two things (either/or and not both together).

1. remove the grey background altogether if you can, just leave it white.
2. add a glint or starburst type of effect on the weapons edge somewhere. I think that might make the weapon look even more dangerous looking.

I'm not sure the glint on the weapon would work so well against a pure white background though.
Viking2054 is offline   #73 Reply With Quote
Jay_NOLA

Old February 16th, 2017, 11:21 AM
Sorry for getting this reply back a bit late guys. I've got several major health issues and wasn't able to reply back because of them and still am feeling very bad.

I've used a couple of different programs to do the art.

The main ones are:

Lightwave 11.6.3, GIMP with G'MIC (I do most of my filtering in it, Adobe Elements 8 (Most of my custom brushes are in it.) and assorted 3D resources.

Lightwave and the 3D models are the most expensive things used. My Lightwave copy is an old one one from several years ago. The 3D assets in each one run from $60 and up if I remember correctly, I think I git some of them on sale about 5 years ago.

Usually I do a render bring render into a graphics editor and apply filters and brush over it and the main image is the render or something based on it and the render is sort of rough guide.

I've used and do have other 3D programs and graphics ones.

If you want to get into doing 3D art based stuff send me a PM as that would be a very long discussion on where to start and what to get and common problems to avoid so renders don't look like plastic people, etc. Also the EULAs for some models can have restrictions and stuff to watch out for.

2 final things before moving on is that you can spend hours just on the render. If you look at the attached image the outpost. That took only about 1 hour-90 minutes to set up for rendering in a 3d program. (One of the guy's on the ProFantasy forum made the sci fi base model that I used.).Rendering it took over 6 hours. I think it was like 12 total. And the final result isn't that great.

The other thing is that you can tweak 3d stuff to do no realistic looking renders but that also is time consuming.

The other attached image is a render of a3D model. No postwork. It took me over an hour to adjust the model and so stuff with the textures and to play with render settings so that when rendered it would look like an animation cell.

Now some other options do exist for doing art that I have used and have recommended to others:

ComiPo! this program lets you do Japanese Manga art and you need no drawing skills as it uses models.
It has several add on packs and one is for Wetern fantasy RPGs.

Layered clip art.
This got brought up and covered in good detail in 2 threads on the ProFantasy forum.

The 1st shows some examples and talks about how this works and shows that you can do several different genres.

http://forum.profantasy.com/comments...cussionID=5796

The 2nd thread has a big list of books in it

http://forum.profantasy.com/comments...cussionID=5448

The EULA in those books does say that you can use the recorded art you make with the PSDs for games, projects, etc. so

I'll do some work on image over the weekend. I have a female half-orc in good sensible armor and a female magic user to finish up.

Removing the grey background won't be a problem.

An effect on the weapon is something I'll mess with when I'm feeling better. I have a set of Photoshop brushes I bought just designed to do spell and magic effects.
Attached Images
File Type: png Doc11.png (187.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Outpost lens flare.jpg (85.5 KB, 13 views)
Jay_NOLA is offline   #74 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 18th, 2017, 12:45 AM
Gday team!

The Mad Cartographer had some free time and whipped us up a map for the cave entrance!

The concept being that directly through the cave entrance is a massive cave. Within that cave wooden platforms have been built. Those wooden platforms are setup defensively (keeping in mind that there is a constant fight between the Barbarians and the cave dwellers).

Looking for a volunteer to take this to the next level. Someone to populate the defence. Maybe install a trap or two. The stairs should lead to the next level.

Direct Link

CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #75 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old February 18th, 2017, 01:03 AM
My first thoughts were...

Is there anything stopping anyone from jumping from one platform to the next.
How deep is the cave?
Wooden structures... anything that will stop them from burning?

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #76 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 18th, 2017, 01:04 AM
I imagine this as a storm the castle scenario. Entrance under fire. But hey, looking for a volunteer to tell us how they see this occurring

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #77 Reply With Quote
Jay_NOLA

Old February 19th, 2017, 11:02 AM
Ok I had tried to fix the NPC2 image with the suggestions that were given.

The weapon sparkle didn't work at all. I tried that on about 3 different retouch ups. The sparkle problem is that the sparkles block out other detail on the weapon.

I'll let the community decide if anything is usable.

Also, a quick additional thing. One of my health problems are getting worse. Was in the ER last Thursday and what they did isn't working. So I'm not sure when I'll be able to post or work on art and stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg NPC2redo d.jpeg (98.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: png NPC2 redoc.png (265.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg NPC2redo a-sparkle.jpg (342.6 KB, 14 views)
Jay_NOLA is offline   #78 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old February 20th, 2017, 12:52 AM
I like the redo c and redo d images, although I think d outshines c.

As to the sparkle or glint, I guess I misrepresented it. I was thinking a single glint or shine off of a single edge of the blade. Think of it as a stylized cross or 'X' shape where the corners near the center are rounded off while the ends come to a point... but it's hallow or white on the center with only a black or grey outline. I guess I was thinking more of what is done in some cartoons or comics with flashing swords or axes.
Viking2054 is offline   #79 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 20th, 2017, 12:57 AM
Hope you bounce back Jay_NOLA

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #80 Reply With Quote