Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds

Notices

Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 5th, 2011, 08:40 PM
A recent upgrade for my character is being considered: a suit of armor (Device rank 1) that provides safety versus attacks (Protection 3) and when worn by a magic user gives additional safety against magical attacks (Protection 4).

As you'll see in the write-up that I've cut & pasted below, the correct value of +7 Toughness is being listed in the device/power description area of the sheet. However, on page one of the sheet, it is showing a Toughness of +11. My logical conclusion is that HL is 'double counting' the 'stacks with' portion....or am I wrong in how things are supposed to be computed with Protection that stacks?

Enchanted Armor (Device 1) (5 PP)
Hard to lose, Restricted use (Magic Users Only) (Reaction - Personal -
Permanent)

- Basic suit of armor (Protection 3+4) (2 PP)
[Stacking ranks: +4], Technology, +7 Toughness; Flaws: Ablative, (None (Passive) - Personal - Permanent)

- Enchantment (Protection 4) (3 PP)
Magic, +4 Toughness; Extras: Stacks with (Basic suit of armor (Protection
3+4)); Flaws: Limited - Narrow Type (Magic); Power Feats: Affects
Insubstantial 2 (full power) (None (Passive) - Personal - Permanent)

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 7th, 2011, 11:13 AM
I believe all uses of Protection stack, don't they? You could have 10 1-rank Protection powers if you wanted, and they'd add up to the same as 1 10-rank Protection power. So in this case you don't need to use the "stacks with" extra.
Colen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old July 7th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
I believe all uses of Protection stack, don't they? You could have 10 1-rank Protection powers if you wanted, and they'd add up to the same as 1 10-rank Protection power. So in this case you don't need to use the "stacks with" extra.
Yes it will stack automatically and having a Flaw Limited to Magic does create an on/off checkbox. So "stacks with" isn't really needed....how is that for ironic?

Perhaps it should be greyed out so others won't be making this mistake?

However, I did notice something else....the display onscreen (did not check the printout) showed Toughness as +0/+7 and I would think that with the "always on" Protection being +3 and the "optional" Protection being +4 the display should be +3/+7.

Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old July 7th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Except the +3 is within the armor, right? So when he takes the armor off, he's at +0. The default in Hero Lab seems to be to provide "the values assuming they're all on" and "the value assuming they're all off that can be".
Duggan is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old July 7th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
Except the +3 is within the armor, right? So when he takes the armor off, he's at +0. The default in Hero Lab seems to be to provide "the values assuming they're all on" and "the value assuming they're all off that can be".
Okay Duggan, that makes sense in a "regular/straightforward" situation.

I've simply complicated things by having a suit (bought as a Device so by definition it only provides protection when on) with some of the total protection it provides only working part of the time (hence my belief that the "Stacks With" Extra was appropriate as well as the "Limited" Flaw BUT using the "Stacks With" causes the Limited portion to be double counted when the checkbox is clicked 'on').

So I guess what I'm asking for is one of the following be done: fix things so "Stacks With" doesn't double count the Limited portion when calculating the "everything is on" total OR grey out "Stacks With" as an option for the Protection Power OR if possible, list Toughness three times (normal, baseline protection added, conditional protection added).

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; July 7th, 2011 at 08:17 PM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 8th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Unfortunately I don't think this is possible given how the M&M data files represents stuff internally. "Stacks With" is already a bit of an advanced extra - the assumption is that you know what you're doing and have GM's permission when you use it.

For example, there's nothing stopping you from buying 1 rank of a Variable power then 10 ranks of Burrowing, and make Burrowing "stack with" Variable to get a free 10 ranks. Some of those combinations may be valid, some not - Hero Lab can't easily validate them, as it's up to the GM to allow them on a case by case basis.
Colen is offline   #6 Reply With Quote