Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Madmaxneo

Old July 23rd, 2017, 10:05 AM
My current campaign is almost at an end (though the players may want to continue it in the future). I am in the process of creating my next campaign which is on the same world and in the same game system. I wanted to start adding the basic info to RW didn't want it to mix with the info for my current campaign but want it added to the world. What is the best way to go about doing this in RW?

I thought about adding a new "Topic View" but I am not sure if it will work well. What do you all suggest?

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Programming experience: Java and Javascript (Maptools and PDF programming).
Madmaxneo is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old July 23rd, 2017, 12:56 PM
Well, you could copy the contents of your realm into a new realm (using the export-import feature).

Then delete everything player-relevant from the new realm.

Use this as your master realm and do only make world related changes here.

Copy your new realm over to a new-new realm. Use this new-new realm for your new group. Add group relevant changes here. Expand your world in the new realm and not in this realm. Copy changes over when needed.

I know - lousy explanation but it is getting late and I am on my way to bed...

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 23rd, 2017, 02:49 PM
What Vargr said.

Create a "master" realm that would be a copy of your existing realm. delete everything specific to the existing campaign leaving just the stuff that is specific to the world and game system.

Then you need the discipline to maintain 2 copies of the realm. The "master" where you do all world building, which you export from everyone time you make changes, and the "campaign" level one where you build adventures for the new campaign. This will let you do this again in the future.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old July 23rd, 2017, 04:03 PM
Do you plan to run the first campaign again? Why not just create a new story almanac for the new stuff? I think that is what you mean when you say add a topic view. I think this works great. I have often run more than one campaign in the same realm. Unless the info from the last campaign needs to be removed from the world for some reason I wouldn't go that route.
meek75 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old July 23rd, 2017, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meek75 View Post
Do you plan to run the first campaign again? Why not just create a new story almanac for the new stuff? I think that is what you mean when you say add a topic view. I think this works great. I have often run more than one campaign in the same realm. Unless the info from the last campaign needs to be removed from the world for some reason I wouldn't go that route.
Yes, to create a new story almanac you need to click on "Create Topic View" in the drop down list. The info from the last campaign can stay there in case anyone in the group wants to and actually goes into RW and wants to look something up...
I think that's the best route for this idea.

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone!

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Programming experience: Java and Javascript (Maptools and PDF programming).
Madmaxneo is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Teresa

Old July 24th, 2017, 02:21 AM
I'm not sure how this compares to Meek75 and Madmaxneo's suggestion, but I would create a tag to identify the topics for campaign A, campaign B, etc, so that I can filter out the ones that I don't want to see at the moment.
Teresa is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old July 24th, 2017, 04:59 AM
Story almanach is one option, although I personally use it to separate stuff for single adventures. For example in my current campaign my players are searching seven sigils. The search for each one compares to an adventure module and each one gets its own view.

My campaign isn't near the end yet, but I do intend to use the realm and the world for the next one too. I don't like handling several realms for the same game world. So I created a storyline topic for the campaign, put the story quests under this and scenes on the next lower hirarchy.

So long story short: everything campaign and story related is in the Events category under a storyline topic or a sidequests event lists. All the rest of my world is story-agnostic and in the appropriate categories.
Of course, if my players change something in the world (e.g. they've built a mill run by intelligent rats!), I'll put that down in the relevant topic.
Merion is offline   #7 Reply With Quote