Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Shadowrun

Notices

CeaDawg

Old December 29th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I want to create traditional style SR character sheet output for HL. I have a PNG file for the border, unfortunately I know nothing about working with XML.

Is there a decent wisiwg XML editor that can be used to create the form for the character sheet?

Also where do I find the template for the default HL character sheet output? I want to be sure to include all of the appropriate fields and stuff.
CeaDawg is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Murrdox

Old December 30th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I can't really help you in that department. I do agree though that the Character Sheet output for Shadowrun could use a lot of work. It doesn't help that Shadowrun requires one of the most complicated character sheets of any RPG that I've ever played. Character sheets need to include:

Basic Stats
Skills
Talents
Gear
Weapons
Spells

Okay that's the basic stuff you'd find on ANY character sheet, right? Shadowrun then needs

Cyberware / Bioware
Comlink(s) - more complicated by the fact that most Shadowrunners will have MULTIPLE Comlinks, and each Comlink will have its own stats and its own programs!
Programs - Just mentioned this one. Even a non-hacker or a non-rigger is going to need some programs for the Comlink, plus SkillSofts, KnowledgeSofts, etc
Drones - Again... fully stated... and just like Comlinks, these guys have Programs too!
Spirits / Sprites - Fortunately not as complicated as Drones.
Contacts - Areas for these on character sheets I've found fill up REALLY fast after a character has been on a run or two.
SINs and Licenses

I doctored up a Shadowrun writable PDF character sheet that I'm pretty proud of that I posted on Dumpshock way back in the day. It's 6 pages long and some of my Runners still run out of space in certain sections! (The Rigger is a big problem with all his Agents and Programs)

To say the least Lone Wolf has its hands full making high quality character print out for this game.

I think the existing output is "Good Enough" for now though. I"m pulling for the other Core Books for the time being.
Murrdox is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
CeaDawg

Old December 30th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I agree, they are a bit busy on their end. However, looking at the support for the other games, it appears that the character sheet output for them, that is not the native HL format, was developed by fans of those particular game systems. All I need from the Wolf is the name of the file I should be looking at for me to use as a reference in generating a compliant form for HL in the standard format of the traditional SR character sheets.

Several folks have messaged me with links to a number of xml editors, both in wisiwig style and as tree indexed notepad style. One person was kind enough to point me to the W3C tutorial and a multi format doc editor that they use. Thanks guys. All I need now is that form to reference and we're gtg. This way someone, like me, can work on this aspect of things within the community, toss it their way when it's ready, and they can continue to focus on making the system work and finishing the core content.

Last edited by CeaDawg; December 30th, 2011 at 10:28 PM.
CeaDawg is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 30th, 2011, 11:35 PM
The character sheet that's normally generated in Hero Lab is not generated using the custom output method, meaning there aren't any custom output templates to start from, I'm sorry to say, just the dtd.
Mathias is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
CeaDawg

Old January 1st, 2012, 12:09 PM
Being a total newb with xml, I'm guessing the dtd is the portfolio datafile, or is it just the portion of the portfolio that deals with just the character you select to print? In either case that should be a good place to start from as long as the fields are defined somewhere that I can match up with.
CeaDawg is offline   #5 Reply With Quote