Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

flawlesscowboy

Old July 8th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is just working as intended or if I've triggered some option incorrectly, but when I'm trying to save my Druid to a .pdf file with a full list of spells I am seeing those I have prepared more than one of listed twice.

Can I just have the wording listed once and then there be some indicator of how many I have prepared? I would like to save on printing paper if possible, but given the overall convenience of this software it's hardly a deal breaker since I can just "unprepare" the spells and notate manually.

I've tried searching for this (and learned a lot about adding custom things) but I haven't found this particular answer, so any help is appreciated!
flawlesscowboy is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old July 10th, 2017, 04:02 AM
Can you provide an example of a spell that is appearing twice? I am unable to reproduce this issue. It may also be useful to attach your .por here.
Sendric is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
flawlesscowboy

Old July 10th, 2017, 06:19 AM
I suspect this is working as intended, and I can always remove spells and save the spell list again, but this is what I'm seeing. My character sheet itself lists my prepared spells (just the name) once for each preparation I have:

The spell list I can generate though, with the descriptions, also has them listed once per preparation. See this image:

I only intended to use the spell list for reference, as I could just tick off the character sheet version or some other sheet of paper at the table itself. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing an option somewhere that would allow that output without trimming the list manually, then saving!
flawlesscowboy is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 10th, 2017, 12:08 PM
Is this a Spell that you have done a Replace Thing ID with? I am thinking that can easily cause the duplicate SpInfo.? tag causing a duplicate Description to happen.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
flawlesscowboy

Old July 10th, 2017, 01:40 PM
Negative, it's regular spells too, though I did add a spell myself and it shows equal to the number of times prepared. I have images in my other post in this thread but a moderator needs to approve the post according to the message I'm getting!
flawlesscowboy is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
flawlesscowboy

Old July 10th, 2017, 03:11 PM
These are the two images from the missing post (assuming this one shows up!) showing the character sheet and the spell sheet output.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture2.PNG (14.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: png Capture.PNG (40.1 KB, 1 views)
flawlesscowboy is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 10th, 2017, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flawlesscowboy View Post
These are the two images from the missing post (assuming this one shows up!) showing the character sheet and the spell sheet output.
That to me looks like you added the spell multiple times to the character. Its not the description that is doubling the text in the mouse info window.

Did you actually add the spell multiple times?

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old July 10th, 2017, 03:29 PM
He mentions "have prepared more than one of", which I'd say is multiple copies of the same spell.
I've seen this in 3.5 too - I don't think there's any way around it. In Pathfinder, if you prepare a spell multiple times you can choose (for example) Cure Light Wounds x2, and then it only displays once on the spell summary/description pdf.
Dami is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
flawlesscowboy

Old July 10th, 2017, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
That to me looks like you added the spell multiple times to the character. Its not the description that is doubling the text in the mouse info window.

Did you actually add the spell multiple times?
Yes, that's exactly what I did which obviously means this is how it was intended. I wasn't sure how to note that I wanted to prepare (spell) (number of times) except to add it more than once. Did I miss an annotation or something I could manipulate in the program itself?

It's also entirely possible that I'm not doing this in the "intended" way either since I've only been playing for a little over a year and before this my character sheets would get... Messy. If there's a different method most people would use to denote have multiple copies of the same spell prepared I don't know about it!

It also occurs to me now that perhaps most people don't take more than one copy of a spell? Considering that the majority of my time in gaming before this was digital and spell lists/pools/options are typically fewer with more repeated items (like in an MMO I would cast fireball forever while here I have a whole list of fiery things to cast) maybe I'm not approaching this like most people would because of that mindset?
flawlesscowboy is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old July 11th, 2017, 04:31 AM
I think most players will take some spells multiple times. I certainly have. I just didn't understand the issue before now.

In short, yes, this is working as intended. d20 lacks the support to show a spell has been prepared multiple times like the Pathfinder system does. My suggestion would be to "prepare" only one version of each spell prior to printing out the spell descriptions, then go back and select all the spells you actually want prepared. That way the spell description print-out isn't as cluttered.
Sendric is offline   #10 Reply With Quote