Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MaxKaladin

Old December 3rd, 2011, 12:35 PM
You aren't the only one. I started up Hero Lab and got a message about how my license had to be reactivated because my operating system must have been reinstalled. My operating system has NOT been reinstalled and there have been no hardware changes either. I assume an update to windows must have screwed something up. Anyway, I reactivated it through the interface provided and everything worked OK.

Immediately after that, I updated Hero Lab. It wanted to run it's installer again so I did that and when I got back into the program I got another message telling me my license was invalid AGAIN and had to be reactivated AGAIN. This time, though, it sent me to fill out some form because it has been less than 120 days since I reactivated my license (about 10 minutes, to be exact). The form tells me I have to wait 1-2 business days to get this taken care of. In the meantime, my software is stuck in "demonstration" mode.

So, as far as I can tell some random windows update must have screwed up the registration once and then installing a Hero Lab update screwed it up again. Am I going to have this to look forward to every time Windows or Hero Lab updates because its really annoying?
MaxKaladin is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 3rd, 2011, 07:13 PM
It's a very rare problem. And Colen and Rob generally monitor the license queue over the weekend, so there's a good chance you'll get things fixed soon.
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MaxKaladin

Old December 5th, 2011, 06:05 PM
They took care of it today. I just hope whatever it is doesn't happen again.
MaxKaladin is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
narceron

Old March 21st, 2012, 04:59 PM
WOw, you only had to wait two days for them to fix something that should not be in the system to begin with. How this clumsy system combats piracy, I have no idea.

I guess I can wait two days to use software I paid for...that requires a yearly activation...not like I have a finite number of days to use it...oh wait.
narceron is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 21st, 2012, 05:16 PM
FYI, there is no yearly activation with Hero Lab. Also, the licensing mechanism combats piracy very successfully and is the key to keeping the company in business. If we didn't have the licensing mechanism, there would be no software from us. Then you'd be back to pencil and paper, which I'm guessing most of our users would prefer to avoid.
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 21st, 2012, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
I'm guessing most of our users would prefer to avoid.
Oh god yes!

Used the software for years and never had a single licencse issue. It effortlessly even transferred the 2nd license from Vista to Win7.

Only one of players did but that was because he activated the software on a library computer. So going with that was a problem located between the chair and the keyboard.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
narceron

Old March 25th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I apologize, I did not realize I was in the hero labs section. I am complaining about the mechanism for Army builder...4 days and still no reply form wolflair, I guess it is a good thing you have no competition,
narceron is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Joshua

Old March 26th, 2012, 09:03 AM
You know, piss-poor sarcastic attitudes probably don't work as well as sending a polite reminder email asking for help. Consider the stats, here. The user who started this thread posted months ago, and you're posting just now. The amount of users who have licensing problems (i.e., legitimate buggy issues and not those who disagree with how the system works) are incredibly low. No system is perfect. There are flaws in everything. But overall, this particular system works well and effectively.

Instead of acting like a typical, self-entitled spoiled 8 year old, realize that LWD prides itself on taking care of its customers and that humans sometimes make oversights or have lapses in memory. A gentle reminder after Day 2 might have had your problem resolved by now. And even if it didn't, this is likely to be one of if not the only time you have this particular problem.

To everyone else, sorry for my combative response. I just can't stand the growing attitude of self-importance where everyone in the world has to stop what they're doing and tend to one particular individual just because they are, as an adult, throwing a kid-like tantrum. Someone should've been spanked growing up.
Joshua is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old March 26th, 2012, 10:48 AM
@Joshua:
Personally, I understand narceron's ire. I've been in the situation of an online activation failing for every reason from company error to my error to my ISP's error and in every case, my immediate reaction is "Why is the company keeping me from using the product I paid for?" And not getting a response from support when others are assuring you that 2-3 days is the standard and less than that is the norm would make you wonder if they're putting you on or, worse, are astroturfing you. Nevertheless, civility on both sides is key.

@narceron
Check your spam filters if you can to be sure the support response didn't get stuck there. If not, send a second email and post on the forums politely and there's a very, very high chance of resolution. Frankly, posting impolitely probably won't lengthen your waits — the guys at Lone Wolf are users themselves, so they understand your frustrations — but it decreases the chances of getting yelled at by other forum members and it will help stave off Rob's ulcers.

And yes, Army Builder has a yearly renewal, however that works, so that explains why you were talking about things expiring. Used to be, since both products used the same activation system, Hero Lab similarly warned of an expiration date, although that date never came due to the different business model. I think they've fixed that, but at first, I feared that you'd run into another place where the old documentation was present.

But yeah, you've got the attention of the employees now, I think, but you may want to check your spam filters and try sending a second email. Good luck.
Duggan is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Joshua

Old March 26th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Duggan, I understand and even to some extent agree with those feelings and thoughts, but I don't believe that the situation (or the resulting feelings or thoughts) warrants the underlined behavior. Restraint and accountability have gone by the wayside and it seems to be pandemic these days, but that doesn't make it any more acceptable.
Joshua is offline   #10 Reply With Quote