Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

kushko

Old January 9th, 2006, 09:56 PM
I'm using AB3.1 and WinXP. I have the main account on this computer and my son has a sub account (with full access).

I registered my second licence with my primary account (I also have AB installed on my laptop). But if I go into my son's account (on the same computer) and start up AB, it says the product is not licenced.

When I go back to my primary account, AB is now unlicensed there too.

How do I get it licensed so both users can use it.

Kevin
kushko is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 16th, 2006, 05:13 PM
If you want to setup AB to run in two different user accounts on the same computer, you have two choices. Option #1 is to install AB into two different places and use a diffrent license number for both accounts. Option #2 is to install AB into one shared location and use the SAME license number for both accounts. The latter option is definitely better.

When AB activates the license, it downloads a key file from our server and saves it in the directory where AB is installed. The key file is tied to the license number in use, plus it is always saved in the SAME file in the SAME location. This means that using two separate licenses for two accounts, but with AB installed into one shared location, will result in the key file for one license clobbering the key file for the other. The product will then fail to work as soon as you switch user accounts. Once you run AB in the second account, it sees an invalid key file and deletes it automatically, so AB is no longer unlocked in the original account either.

If you use a single license for all users, there is one extra hoop you have to jump through. AB saves the license number during the license activation process. It does this in the Windows Registry, and Windows maintains a separate location for each user account. Therefore, you have to go through the license activation wizard separately for EACH user account in order to configure AB with the proper license number for each user. When you do this, simply use the SAME license number for each user account. After each account has been activated, you'll be able to use AB from any of the accounts.

Hope this helps,
Rob

At 10:56 PM 1/9/2006, you wrote:

Quote:
I'm using AB3.1 and WinXP. I have the main account on this computer and my son has a sub account (with full access).

I registered my second licence with my primary account (I also have AB installed on my laptop). But if I go into my son's account (on the same computer) and start up AB, it says the product is not licenced.

When I go back to my primary account, AB is now unlicensed there too.

How do I get it licensed so both users can use it.

Kevin
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
deathlynx
Volunteer Data File Author

Old January 17th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Ooooh! Good tip Rob...thank goodness I never tried to run it from my wife's settings...That could have gotten messy...
deathlynx is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
kushko

Old January 20th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Thanks,

I had figured it out earlier, but had not placed a reply here...

Once I installed the license for the second user it worked fine for both users.

Kevin
kushko is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Johnny_Canuck

Old June 25th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Aah, this is what I've been looking for. I will try it out.
Johnny_Canuck is offline   #5 Reply With Quote