Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Toblakai

Old April 9th, 2018, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alientude View Post
Going to ignore the Lone Wolf white knights.
You have a lot of anger, which leads to hate and the dark side, be careful young padawan.
Toblakai is offline   #361 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old April 10th, 2018, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Honestly if they had never promised the new features I would not be hanging for them.

End of the day I'm incredibly happy with Realm Works. It is an amazing tool in it's current state. I have bugger all stability problems given the amount of content I've got in it.
I agree with daplunk, it is a great and amazing tool. Everyone here would be very happy with it if they didn't know what was promised and still being worked on. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

For a moment, forget about what you want it to do and what you were promised it would do and look at what it can do for you in its present state. If you do that and you're honest you would say, Damn, "it is an amazing tool!"
ruhar is offline   #362 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old April 10th, 2018, 05:52 AM
It was an amazing tool, 5 years ago.

Now? Not so much. It simply cannot handle even reasonably large images requiring significant messing about to get them into the tool. It doesn't allow me to use multiple monitors except to use one as the player view. It doesn't scale to high DPI monitors. It is extremely slow to respond when even a moderate sized realm is loaded.

I really liked RW. As time goes on and these failings don't get addressed it is increasingly hard to continue using it.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #363 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old April 10th, 2018, 06:09 AM
BJ, as always, thanks for the update. I'm happy to hear that LW is working to address the issues that have led to many of these delays, and hope to hear good news soon about content releases, bug fixes and further advances in the software!
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #364 Reply With Quote
jflevesque

Old April 10th, 2018, 06:40 AM
Personaly, I don't really mind the delays on the features promised, since I am not necessarily looking forward for them (exception being the custom calendars). What I have a bit more issues, but can understand completely being a developer myself, is the lack of bug fix updates in the interim.

Since there was a lot of internal changes in the past months as BJ just mentionned, it is quite possible that their branching strategy is/was flawed and they are currently stuck because of the issues with Paizo. I only hope they do an analysis on what happened and what they can improve for the future so these types of delays on features or third party integrations don't hamper their capacity to release fixes to their end-users.
jflevesque is offline   #365 Reply With Quote
evildmguy

Old April 10th, 2018, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
It was an amazing tool, 5 years ago.

Now? Not so much. It simply cannot handle even reasonably large images requiring significant messing about to get them into the tool. It doesn't allow me to use multiple monitors except to use one as the player view. It doesn't scale to high DPI monitors. It is extremely slow to respond when even a moderate sized realm is loaded.

I really liked RW. As time goes on and these failings don't get addressed it is increasingly hard to continue using it.
This is one of the traps I fell into myself, for many reasons. I have been in Beta since the KS and the early versions were fast. I could use it with a bit of a delay during a session to write in a new NPC or a new details and switch between tabs. That spoiled me. I don't think it was ever intended that Realm Works be used to do entry during a session. Rather, it was intended to click on the reveal button of an item during a session or show more of a map. I was really bummed about that as I do a fair amount of improv during a session and wanted RW to keep up with my style. I think that was me wanting RW to do something it doesn't do.

I find that using it outside of the session to enter people and places and then see how connections are there or could be made, as well as tracking of the high level plot points goes well. I have found some amazing connections that were almost there already and I was able to have a much richer story for it. It also allowed me to create connections that weren't there but made sense. Or to find out where I couldn't do what I wanted without hurting consistency/continuity.

At the same time, I also find myself using RW less and less because of its response times. What really made me use RW less is the Player Versions. I know it would be a LOT more work to make a real time publish/subscribe model such that when I click reveal, it would show up a second later for my players. (I get it would be longer if over the internet; I was thinking local web hosting for that speed.) That's what I was wanting and didn't realize it until it didn't happen. Even if it was easy to sync up while within a Realm and do a push notification to any Player versions out there would be nice.

That's not to say that it doesn't do a lot and isn't very helpful. If anything, I gave up on RW before seeing its full potential. It is discouraging to take a break from the boards for nearly a year and come back to find the same issues are pending.

I continue to support Lone Wolf and HLC and RW. I'm not nearly as excited about them as I once was, mainly because I'm still unsure of the future of HLC compared to HLO, but certainly wish them well and look forward to updates.
evildmguy is offline   #366 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old April 10th, 2018, 08:17 AM
Realm Works, at least for me, remains the best tool to use before, during and after sessions. Even though FG has campaign management, it does not provide this amazing automatic link detection, fast (haha) switching between topics, storyboard and the easy to create custom structure provided by the game systems.

I was ignoring RW for long time (due to lacking of quality resources on its web site). In moment of desperation I found Daplunk's videos in YouTube, watched them all in a row and one evening I decided to take a leap of faith.

I had my expectations below the zero and in the end I was quite surprised how awesome it is. Too bad currently it stalls and the more time passes the more the competition gets ahead of their game.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #367 Reply With Quote
Tharmiones

Old April 10th, 2018, 08:49 AM
To be perfectly honest:
My opinion is that this Paizo issue is on Paizo side and they have to work around it is just an outright lie. I honestly doubted that since the first announcement because the same to be used mechanism is already working with Fantasy Grounds as far as I can tell. So why the heck should it work for one company but not the other.

LWD just does not do anything anymore for RW as far as I can tell. No updates nothing at all.
I've given up on RW now. I've used it for some time to enter data from the Paizo AP I was running for my players however I've stopped doing so. I simply do not have the time to actually do that myself so I would gladly pay if it was done from someone else and ready to go. But this constant delay because of, whatever reason the might have come up in the past or may come up in the future: I simply do no longer care I made up my mind that they are just bull shit.
Tharmiones is offline   #368 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old April 10th, 2018, 09:08 AM
Sometimes I wonder the same... What on Paizo side prevents the usage of their API from Lone Wolf and what contractual obligations halts all releases of new features, patches and alike in the product. Makes no sense from business perspective to shoot yourself in the foot this way.

Unless what was disclosed recently about the mass replacement of support staff and new developers is the root cause.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Last edited by Valyar; April 10th, 2018 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Autocorrect failed me ...
Valyar is offline   #369 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old April 10th, 2018, 11:21 AM
NO. I'm as frustrated as anyone and LWD's inability to integrate with PAizo when others have is extremely aggravating but there are too many people on both sides who, NDA's or no NDA's would gossip if LWD was telling lies, for LWD to ever risk such a thing.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #370 Reply With Quote