Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

noseman

Old March 16th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I would like to start by saying I really appreciate all the hard work that you guys at Wolflair do to help your customers. I'm an avid fan of both the M&M and d20 products for Herolab. Now to my question:

I'm going to be playing a DnD v3.5 Druid for the first time in a few weeks, and was wondering how to create a wild shaped form of my character?

I have the animal companion part down, but there does not appear to be a specific spot to create a wild shaped form from the Druid base class. I tried to add the animal separately as an NPC, but ran into a wall when I tried to add "monster" levels (not class levels) to the animal to match my level (6th level), while the base animal only had 3 HD (leopard). The software doesn't allow (as far as I can tell) leveling up unless it is a class/template level.

It may just be my understanding of the wild shape ability, and if that's the case, please let me know as well. I was under the impression that I retain my mental ability scores, HD and HPs, lose any gear as it melds with my form, while gaining special attacks and the physical ability scores of the new form.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mark
noseman is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 16th, 2009, 02:35 PM
The easiest way to handle Wild Shape is to add ability score adjustments. For example, let's say you're an elven druid (Medium size, Str12) and shapeshift into a bear (Large, Str20).

Add a Strength adjustment of +8, and a Size adjustment of +1. When you shapeshift, activate them, and all your derived statistics will change appropriately. There's an unlimited amount of forms you can change into, so we allow you to add arbitrary "Adjustments" to make whatever changes you like.

Hope this helps!
Colen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
noseman

Old March 16th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
The easiest way to handle Wild Shape is to add ability score adjustments. For example, let's say you're an elven druid (Medium size, Str12) and shapeshift into a bear (Large, Str20).

Add a Strength adjustment of +8, and a Size adjustment of +1. When you shapeshift, activate them, and all your derived statistics will change appropriately. There's an unlimited amount of forms you can change into, so we allow you to add arbitrary "Adjustments" to make whatever changes you like.

Hope this helps!
Thanks Colen,

Sometimes the easiest solution is the best. What about special abilities like Pounce, and Rake and Improved Grab? Would I just use the "Traits, Total" or "Counter" options to add whatever I like?

Is there a way to stack these modifications, so 1 click sets the new form? Not necessary, but if there is, then I'd use it.

Thanks again.

Mark
noseman is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 14th, 2009, 01:00 AM
If there's a form you often use, you can use the editor to create an adjustment for that form specifically (for example, "Adjustment - Bear Form"). The adjustment could have scripts that changed your ability scores, and could bootstrap special abilities like Pounce or weapons like Rake.
Colen is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
noseman

Old April 14th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
If there's a form you often use, you can use the editor to create an adjustment for that form specifically (for example, "Adjustment - Bear Form"). The adjustment could have scripts that changed your ability scores, and could bootstrap special abilities like Pounce or weapons like Rake.
I'll look into this. What I wound up doing was creating a separate base animal form, and adding all the Druid stats that were relevant to it. Works for me at this time. The campaign won't start for a month or so, so I might have time to use the editor for the "Adjustment" that you suggest above.

Is it possible to create multiple adjustments, so I could have a few animal forms at the ready?

Thanks again!

Mark
noseman is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 14th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Using the editor to create new adjustments is the way to have various forms ready. In the editor, you can also go to the specials tab, and look for racial specials like pounce, rake, etc. If they're there, on the adjustment you're building, you add those through the "bootstraps" button, if not, find something similar on the specials tab, make a copy of it and modify the copy until it matches what you want, and after you've done a "Test Now" or quick reload of your new special, you can bootstrap it to your adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noseman View Post
I'll look into this. What I wound up doing was creating a separate base animal form, and adding all the Druid stats that were relevant to it. Works for me at this time. The campaign won't start for a month or so, so I might have time to use the editor for the "Adjustment" that you suggest above.

Is it possible to create multiple adjustments, so I could have a few animal forms at the ready?

Thanks again!

Mark
Mathias is online now   #6 Reply With Quote
noseman

Old April 15th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Cool!

I'll give it a try soon.

Mark
noseman is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
noseman

Old June 5th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgehl View Post
Using the editor to create new adjustments is the way to have various forms ready. In the editor, you can also go to the specials tab, and look for racial specials like pounce, rake, etc. If they're there, on the adjustment you're building, you add those through the "bootstraps" button, if not, find something similar on the specials tab, make a copy of it and modify the copy until it matches what you want, and after you've done a "Test Now" or quick reload of your new special, you can bootstrap it to your adjustment.
My game is starting this up coming week (woot), and I have this all programmed and it is working but for 1 thing. When I click on the animal form adjustment in the adjustment tabs after adding the custom adjustment, all the special abilities and weapon attacks show up correctly, but when I click to de-activate the adjustment, they all still remain displayed in the Weapons and Special tabs (and on the pdf). Essentially the racial weapons and special abilities are bootstrapped to the custom adjustment. Things like ability score adjustments are in an EVAL script. How do I get the weapons and special abilities to show up only when the "adj" option is selected?

Your help, this one last time, is much appreciated.

Mark
noseman is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 5th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Mispost - please delete

Last edited by Mathias; June 5th, 2009 at 12:38 PM.
Mathias is online now   #9 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 5th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Colen,
While I was trying to test an answer for this question, I noticed something odd - I looked at some things I had put together in HL that used bootstrap conditions - they still work, and so I tried copying the timing I used there for use in adjustment bootstraps, but nothing I tried would work.

What's even odder is that I went back in to my old file, made enough of a change to make the thing re-savable, and I found that the XML of how it was storing bootstrap conditions had changed - and now the old thing doesn't work.

The old way (that worked) was:
<bootstrap thing="xImmElec" phase="GlobalTest" priority="0">fieldval:hIsOn1 <> 0</bootstrap>

The new way (that doesn't work) is:
<bootstrap thing="xImmElec">
<containerreq phase="GlobalTest" priority="0">fieldval:hIsOn1 <> 0</containerreq>
</bootstrap>

Obviously the new way is the correct way to do it acording to the wiki, but I can't figure out why the bootstrap isn't working anymore.
Mathias is online now   #10 Reply With Quote