Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Parkbank

Old December 9th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Hi there,

I'm new to Hero Labs. I use Hero Labs to track combat and I do like it to built fast and easy NPCs, espescially those which may lvl up as the campaign goes own. But one thing I'd like to do, but don't know how it works (I hope it does!):

I'd like to "import" monsters out of books and adventures and own creations as well, simply by putting the vital statistics in. That means, I don't want to create them from craddle to grave, but I do just want to put in the abilitys, skills, feats, saves, type, etc. (as I see fit) - but without creating them like a hero or NPC.

Is there a way to do this? I hope so... else I would be really disappointed and wonder why ever I bought that tool... having to use PC and paper for combats makes it way more chaotic than just leaving the PC out all at once...

Parkbank
Parkbank is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
risner
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 9th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Maybe I'm confused, but can't you just import NPC's from the GMG?
risner is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parkbank

Old December 9th, 2010, 05:12 AM
O.k., maybe I am confusing by "import" I did not mean actually to import a file, that's why I put it in "". I meant to manually create the NPC/Monster, but without going the normal way for creation (like choosing race, etc.).

From "cradle to grave" you choose race and class and all that stuff in HL, and HL produces the correlating "data", like saving throws and BAB, etc.

I want to give in the data only, as this is way faster and easier if you want to use NPCs/Monster you have at hand (e.g. in some bought Adventure) with HL Dashboard.
Parkbank is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 9th, 2010, 03:02 PM
There is currently no way to accomplish what you're asking for. However, it's something we've already talked about adding, so we'll do our best to get that implemented in the months to come.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Globetrotter

Old December 9th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Well, I import the stat block of the creature I want, and then make the adjustments.

Portfolio--->Import Stock Hero--->then I select the creature listed.

Is that what you mean? All the creatures from the bestiary are there and all the NPC's from the GMG. That saves me a boat load of time.
Globetrotter is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
risner

Old December 9th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
Is that what you mean?
No, I think he means have HL pop up a prompter and let the user type in HP, AC, Fort, Ref, Will, Attack Bonus, weapons, etc and have it reverse engineer a config/npc from this text.
risner is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Globetrotter

Old December 9th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Oh... that sounds really hard to program.

Would be an interesting feature though.
Globetrotter is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old December 9th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I don't see that this would be significantly faster than the usual way.
Lawful_g is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Parkbank

Old December 12th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Thanks rob! That sounds good.

@Globetrotter/Risner: I don't want HL to "reverse engineer" anything. The Stat-Block Monster/NPC should not be "transformed" into a normal character you could create with HL. I only want to have a chance to "import" such statblocks so I can use them along with the regular HL generated (or imported from stock) Monsters/NPCs with Dashboard.

As it is now, I have to create a new char for having a name and Innitiative in the dashboard, but look up everything else from my paper-copy (like spells, ac, Saves, ...)

@Rob: Is there a schedule for when I might use this new functionality? Will it be incorporated in the base program (I gues it is useful for all game systems)? Or will I have to pay extra for it?
Parkbank is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Globetrotter

Old December 14th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Yeah, that is what i thought.

You can import them just as the bestiary using the instructions I typed above. That is what I do. I just ran a dinosaur encounter. I have all my PC's saved in a group portfolio, so I only have to select import stat block and select the dinosaur I want... select how many and we are ready to run.

No adjustments. Isn't that what you mean?
Globetrotter is offline   #10 Reply With Quote